Hiking Rickshaw

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So last weekend, I tried to go on a hike with the family, and it didn't work out at all. I've got one child carrier, and I put my 1 year old 25 pounder into it. She was fine.

My 4 year old, who normally likes to go on "adventures" just wasn't into it today. After about 2 miles of whining, we decided to turn around. We ended up having to carry him. My wife can only carry him for so long. Eventually I did a stink with him on my shoulders and the baby in my backpack. I've not blown out my back...

Gotta find a solution.

It's been talked about here before, but maybe it deserves it's own thread.

I started think about the all-terrain wagon idea. But quickly changed gears. I've already got a tandem bicycle trailer. All I need is some kind of handle arrangement to be able to pull it. I feel this is the best option for 2 young kids.

Anybody have anything like this? Is there anything on the market?

Riptide

Explorer
Maybe a 4 mile hike for a 4 yr old is expecting too much... With my kid, I sort of let her set the pace. At this point, I want her to enjoy the hike, rather than have bad memories of it, and not want to even try the next one...

Having said that, I've been considering getting a Kifaru pack that I could use with their Cargo Chair system. I usually wear the daypack with gear for the three of us; rain shells, snacks, first aid kit, and a little bit of kit, while my wife is usually carrying the SLR camera. I will occasionally give my 5 yr old daughter a shoulder ride as a treat, but I don't make it a habit for her. But, if I HAD to carry her out, or even the wife, the Cargo Chair might make it doable.

https://kifaru.net/cargochair.html

Of course, I'm no Army Ranger, so even if carrying another person is a bit more comfortable with the chair, it's still gonna take me awhile...

I think the rickshaw idea, while interesting, would be too bulky to tote with you. I could be wrong. Plenty of friends I know use various two-wheeled game carriers to get their deer and elk out of the woods, so I guess it can be done.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow...arriers/_/N-1100183/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104353380

Last edited:

photoman

Explorer
Lower your expectations.

Set the hike based on the kids abilities and wants versus your own. No need to push them- just save the longer distances or harder hike for times without them or when they get older.

Having to carry them not only ruins the experience for them but also for you and your wife.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
The wagon has worked out pretty well for me, it's not perfect of course, but it was very reasonably priced and it's versatile as well.
We had a picnic with my wife's family and we carried 3 coolers, lawn chairs, a food box, some kids' games and some blankets from the parking lot about a 1/2 mile into a park with very little sidewalk. It's rated for 800 pounds or something ridiculous/unbelievable, but we had at least 200 pounds on it that weekend.
I have thought of building a harness for it so that I could strap it on like an ox and still have my hand free for whatever.

The Chariot stuff is apparently well-built, but you can see you certainly pay for it.

With the wagon, you could put both kids in it at the same time and probably get away without having to wear the pack. My son really enjoys bouncing around in it too, and it is large enough that a younger child could sleep in it for nap time.

Honu

lost on the mainland
whoops did not notice the chariot link above ;)

we have a chariot its very cool dont have the hiking kit but the rest of it is top notch stuff :)

trecking_set_01.jpg

Chariot carriers has a hiking kit thats kinda cool

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/conversion_kits.php?conID=4&flaID=

REI sells them also
http://www.rei.com/product/705794

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
We went through this. I carried mine in a backpack carrier until she got too heavy. Then there was this period of a few years when she was too heavy to carry but any but the shortest of hike was not practical. By the time she turned 7 she was starting to be able to do significantly more. She is 9 now and we just did a 10 mile hike with her and she held up better than either of her parents.

Wish I had known about the rickshaw things back then.

My kiddo (also 4) has been doing 4 mile hikes for a while now. I usually limit the hikes to 2 miles, ultra scenic/interesting, with major challenges to keep her entertained. The more technical the trail the less bored she is, the less she whines!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We just stuck to short hikes, nature trails and little loops, until my son got from the "to heavy to carry" to the "almost able to keep up" stages.

mountainsoul

Adventurer
Chariot, BOB, Burley, Baby Jogger...I'd think any 2 seater from one of these brands would work for you. We've got a single seater Burley and Baby Jogger. Both work great for hiking and both are well built. Not sure if the Burley is worth the extra $$$ over the BJ to be honest.

Paladin

Banned
A couple people posted about not going until they are older, or just going short distances. To me, that seems like a non-solution. I think finding a way to actually get out there is a better way to go. I'd rather pull a rickshaw 5km, than stick to 1km loops.

Honu

lost on the mainland
A couple people posted about not going until they are older, or just going short distances. To me, that seems like a non-solution. I think finding a way to actually get out there is a better way to go. I'd rather pull a rickshaw 5km, than stick to 1km loops.

yup figure they can walk a little ride a little walk a little ride a little :) and you get in better shape ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94