HillBillyRV Build Thread - 87 Ford E350 Quadravan Pathfinder Conversion

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I decided that I can't justify new locking drawer slides for the JeepKitchen, so I put it back together today using the original "plain-jane" full extension slides that it came with. It was a lot of work, but I took the opportunity to move the fridge slides towards the front of the cabinet. I hoped that this would allow me to change the hinge locations on the National Luna Weekender so that it opens from the end.

Here is a shot of the fridge in the closed position (new slide location):
1.jpg
2.jpg

I had to work carefully because one of my supervisors was watching me closely:
3.jpg

The fridge now comes out much farther when the slides are extended:
4.jpg

And behold....the lid will clear the cabinet. When the fridge hinges were in the factory position (and the slides mounted rearward) the lid would always bind with the right half of the cabinet. I can now open and close the fridge with one hand (to efficiently grab a beer with the other).

5.jpg

Plenty of clearance:
6.jpg
7.jpg

And a shot of the National Luna mounting plate in the JeepKitchen:
8.jpg

Instead of locking drawer slides, I am going to install magnets at the rear of each drawer to keep them closed during travel. I've tinkered with this already, and it works very well. A stiff tug will open the drawer. Gives it an expensive feel. Once that is done on all drawers I will figure out some way to build locking mechanisms for full extension.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
This morning my Bro-in-law and I repaired the rear roof gutter in preparation of Monstaliner. As you can see it is a little rusty in some places, and a lot rusty in others:
1.jpg
2.jpg

This the really bad spot. If the rear doors are open when it's raining the water runs directly into the floor of the van:
3.jpg

I had a buddy (with a sheet-metal shop) make me 40 inch long chunk of 16gg cold-rolled steel that is bend into an "L" shape. Internal measurements were 7/16 on the top and 13/16 underneath. The 40 inch measurement will bridge the outer ends of the gutter clips. Then we started grinding to prep for welding:
4.jpg

I can't believe that I didn't get a shot of the angle iron when it was tacked on. But here you can see the end after welding:
5.jpg

Looking down from above you can see that the new steel bridges the rust gaps:
6.jpg

And here is a shot from under:
7.jpg

And a shot of the entire patch before seam sealing:
8.jpg

And two shots outside after seam sealer:
9.jpg
10.jpg

So, it isn't a factory-type patch, but it is heavy duty and symetrical. I can live with it. Once the Monstaliner has been applied I think it will be hard to notice it's there.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
We got over 16 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. I had a chance to take the van down town. First I tried to pull out in 2WD. No chance in hell. The snow plows had build a 16 inch packed berm between the van and side walk. 4WD pulled right out into the street. This is the first rig I've owned that had the torque to slowly, surely, turn the front and rear tires at the same time (no spinning and throttle work). 'Twas really fun to try it!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Cool, just found your thread, nice build.

Thanks! When spring gets started a lot of stuff is going to happen to the van in a hurry.

Last night we got another 12 inches of snow. I would guess that we have gotten about 30 inches in the last two days (unusual for our location). The city snow plow left a 30 inch high berm across our driveway this morning. I thought it would be fun to see if the van would get out a second time:

Keep in mind that the van is already sitting on 8 to 10 inches of ice underneath:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

This is my first attempt to post a video. Dunno if it's gonna work:

Anyway, I think I could have gotten it out with a little shoveling...but I didn't care that much.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

I haven't seen any pics or videos of a 4X4 van doing anything in snow and thought people might find it to be interesting. Wish I had a locking diff in the front.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
10 degrees colder and you would have walked through that stuff.

Next time take a run at it in low. You were oh so close.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Lol, I'll give it a try in low tomorrow morning. I have to get it out of there one way or another. Don't want it to be stuck there for a month.

When those tires were on my Jeep (with beadlocks) I could have dropped the tires to 5 lbs. and simply strolled over the berm. This has me thinking about checking into cheap utilitarian beadlocks for the van. I think I read somewhere that old military hummer beadlocks will fit the van's bolt pattern. That would be really cool. But there is the issue of rim size and backspacing. The sliding door makes backspacing an issue. I only have 3/4 inch clearance between the door and the 35s on it now.

Has anyone checked into cheap beadlocks for a Ford E350? I need a 17 inch rim....and I'm not sure of the backspacing until I pull one off and check it. Actually, I still have the rims that came on it (which didn't rub in reverse). I'll check them out.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Well yall...the van build has been put on hold for a bit. I've put the Jeep back together and we will see how things go in the next year.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Looks like we get the same weather.. very cool van.
View attachment 556872

Thanks. That was last year of course. We haven't had more than an inch in town yet this year. Looks like you are a little bit further north than I am. :)

I spent today placing gear around in the van to determine locations for everything and I think it's settled. The big problem is that if I use the Kanz Kitchen (and put it on a pullout rack at the rear door) it will put the frying pans at chin level. Not going to work. Tonight I'm perusing the Internets to see what sort of pullout kitchen I'm going to build. Then the slides will get ordered and off to the big city to pick up a half dozen sheets of pre-finished 1/2 inch Baltic Birch plywood.

The kitchen will be built first, then the "trunk" and bulkhead in the rear, then the bed. The Propex and batteries will be stored under the bed. I also can't decide if I'm going to buy an 8-gallon propane tank to mount under the frame or build a proper compartment under the bed to use the expensive 4-gallon horizontal propane tank I already own (sealed from living space and vented to the outside).

It begins. The goal is to have the van functional for camping by Easter. Going to be tight.

mobydick 11

Thanks. That was last year of course. We haven't had more than an inch in town yet this year. Looks like you are a little bit further north than I am. :)

I spent today placing gear around in the van to determine locations for everything and I think it's settled. The big problem is that if I use the Kanz Kitchen (and put it on a pullout rack at the rear door) it will put the frying pans at chin level. Not going to work. Tonight I'm perusing the Internets to see what sort of pullout kitchen I'm going to build. Then the slides will get ordered and off to the big city to pick up a half dozen sheets of pre-finished 1/2 inch Baltic Birch plywood.

The kitchen will be built first, then the "trunk" and bulkhead in the rear, then the bed. The Propex and batteries will be stored under the bed. I also can't decide if I'm going to buy an 8-gallon propane tank to mount under the frame or build a proper compartment under the bed to use the expensive 4-gallon horizontal propane tank I already own (sealed from living space and vented to the outside).

It begins. The goal is to have the van functional for camping by Easter. Going to be tight.
O this is going to be fun Jacob . I don't know how much propane you will be using . I had a VW Realta that had an outside built in tank ,I noticed it was way cheaper to fill it up then a 20 LB bottle even though it was bigger. Like less then half think 9 bucks compared to 24

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Started today. I settled on a single 60-inch pullout drawer for the kitchen.

It will be stainless steel and hold the Partner stove, Snow Peak grill, and a collapsible bowl/cutting board. Above the drawer (and stationary) will be a big cabinet opening for any darned cooking gear I want. I've been through a couple of pricey kitchen setups and want this one to be quick, easy, and versatile for gear selection. In other words, no more picking pots and pans by the size of some damned drawer.

I ordered these slides. The shipping on this single pair of lock in/out 60-inch slides was $65.00 and I had to shop around for that. About $270.00 total. Holy crap! It better work.

Also ordered five sheets of 48 X 96 1/2-inch pre-finished baltic birch plywood to get started at $112.00 per sheet. At $3.50 per square foot, it's a pretty expensive option for sheet goods. But, it should be solid, fast to build, and very light. The color is blond and the only thing I'll have to finish is the edges. I think I'm going to stain (or paint) the edges black. I can't find the picture (from the Interwebs) of the black edge but if I run across it again I'll link to it here. It looks really sharp.

And, removed the National Luna power pack, NOCO charger, and wiring from the Jeep today. I'm committed now. Tomorrow I'll try to get the Propex and propane tank removed as well.

The crap sure comes off faster and easier than it goes on.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Stripped the propane, heater, and awning from the Jeep today. All that is left is the RTT, roof rack, and rear rack. Then the Jeep can be topless in the spring again and I can get going on the van.

powdermonkey

Check this out for the rear barn doors. Made for a VW T5 or T6 transporter (the newer eurovan we never got), but it might work instead of a rear awning. Theres some cool stuff on the site too. I've got one of the rails and awning on our T4 Eurovan.

-Ryan

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Check this out for the rear barn doors. Made for a VW T5 or T6 transporter (the newer eurovan we never got), but it might work instead of a rear awning. Theres some cool stuff on the site too. I've got one of the rails and awning on our T4 Eurovan.

-Ryan

That looks pretty cool. I have an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn for the drivers' side and it covers the rear of the van. I'm going to purchase another and install it on the front-passenger side of the rack to give me nearly 360º coverage. This should keep the sun out of all windows, keep it cooler, and the only door that might not have coverage is the drivers' door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94