Hino truck question for our Non-North America friends

Lynn

Expedition Leader
There's some good conversation going on another thread r.e. converting a 2WD truck to 4WD, and it raised a question for me, but I didn't want to hijack...

So my Q is this: are non-cabover Hino trucks common outside North America, or are these US-only models?

!Bks1gT!!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CkEs9hf!chdBLYlqqVDlg~~_12.JPG

I have reasons to prefer the conventional cab (as we call it here in the US), and am dreaming of building a 2WD rig (which would suit all the US travel we would probably care to do) then when we're ready to start the ROTS (rest-of-the-world) travel, convert to 4x4. Possibly by shipping it to a country that has a good supply of used 4x4 truck parts (Australia?).

On other threads Whatcharterboat has mentioned Hino trucks as a possible alternate to Fuso and Isuzu. Engineer has suggested that it may be able to fit a Timkin front axle with locking hubs for part-time 4x4.

One thing I like about these Hino trucks is the low sloped hood and nice big windshield. Looks like you would have great visibility:

!BheCFh!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEsK+HwV+GBLJTdOQB3g~~_35.JPG

But I know nothing about the mechanicals yet.

Just dreaming, as this project would be a long way off for me, but if there are any other dreamers out there with info to contribute, I'd appreciate it.

HINO SG

Adventurer
Lynn-

the current U.S. spec HINO range was designed specifically for the American market; most manufacturers consider cab-over trucks more expensive to manufacture and the new conventional designs minimize the disadvantages of the conventional cab. I have a 1998 HINO SG, like it a lot but if I were buying new it would be tough to choose between say, a new HINO or a cab-over Mitsu-Fuso.

Havn't done an exhaustive search but my guess would be the only other conventional cab HINO's, if any-would be super-heavy duty applications, i.e. dump truck, cement mixer, etc.

and then there there's the Toyota T100. it was built in a HINO factory, not sure that none of the Tundra models arn't built there, too. :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Rather than hijack other threads, or start new ones, I would like to use this one to gather some Hino info.

I've copied over a couple of posts from another thread.

Or maybe a Hino ????

An '03 Ranger GT 4x4 as an example.

DisplayImage.aspx

Whatcharterboat's post got me started thinking about Hino. Gotta admit, those ROTW (Rest of the World) 4x4s look awful nice...

I did some googling, and found out that Hino have done quite well in their class at Dakar over the last several years (autoworld.co.za article). Also participated in the Mongolia rally, but I haven't really read up on that one yet.

And, as always, Haven is a fount of knowledge:

Hino didn't use the Ranger name for trucks in North America.
Instead they used letter designations. Here's what I learned
about deciphering the code:

FA, FB trucks under 20,000 lbs gvwr
FD, FE trucks under 26,000 lbs gvwr
FF, FG trucks over 26,000 lbs

FT designation means 4x4 medium truck, unfortunately not imported
to USA. In other markets, Hino markets Ranger 4x4 trucks with
FT, FX, GT and GX designations.

Then come four numbers. The first pair of numbers indicate the
GWVR, so 15 means 15,000 lbs., 26 is 26,000 lbs and so on.

The second pair of numbers tell you the horsepower of the engine.
20 means 200 hp, which is a 6 cylinder engine. 17 is 170 hp, which
is a 4 cylinder engine.

Here's an example with a refrigerator body, just waiting for conversion:

2004 FE2620 = medium truck, 26,000 lbs GVWR, 200 hp engine
Asking price is $17,000 USD

hino-fe.jpg

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2278985

1. So, why aren't there any Hino expedition campers out there? My googling hasn't produced any so far...

2. What countries are they imported into, and how is the network of support? I know, that's a tough question to answer...

Added: Found one. On Rob Gray's 'other worts' list.

pic_2.jpg

Last edited:

seahaul

has anything changed? Does anyone know a Hino 4x4 upfitter in North America? Lots of Hino's are built in Canada and I woud assume USA too.

SootyCamper

has anything changed? Does anyone know a Hino 4x4 upfitter in North America? Lots of Hino's are built in Canada and I woud assume USA too.

Sadly nothing has changed. Canada/USA don't get the cool 4x4 cab overs Hino offers in Africa and Australia.

You could have the Hino conventional trucks converted to 4x4 by any shop with experience in such things. North American models use Cummins and Allison transmissions so you could source your Axles from fabco or another axle manufacturer. It would probably be more cost effective just to buy a international with factory installed 4x4.

dstefan

then there there's the Toyota T100. it was built in a HINO factory, not sure that none of the Tundra models arn't built there, too. :)

Tundras are not built in Hino factory, but they DO use a semi-floating version of the Hino full float 10.5” commercial rear axle. One of the big reasons I went with a Tundra for my current camper build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior