hitch mounted spare tire carrier options?

Hello all,

I am getting a 2019 Colorado in the next week or two and was looking at a way to add a spare tire on the rear. I see some really nice rear bumper options with ARB and CBI but wanted to ask if anyone has advice on going with a hitch mount instead. I looked at Wilco, and RIGd, the 2nd does not have an option for a Colorado yet but hopes to next year sometime. Here is what I would ideally carry:

spare tire
axe and shovel
maybe a propane canister or an extra fuel can
bike rack - the RIGd video set up is pretty nice and demonstrates this, but alas, they do not make one for a Colorado...
Ideally would have a folding table also, so when you swing the hitch out of the way (like on the RIGd set up) you'd have a little tray you could drop down to hold some groceries for cooking on a skottle, etc.

here is the picture to the RIGd page from the expedition portal:

AJ1_6146-copy.jpg

Any other companies I should look at or has anyone seen a design that can do all this? here is a photo of a CBI swing away bumper that has it all, I just wonder if there is a hitch mount that has all the same options.

swing-bumper-with-table-jpg.486532

Attachments

• swing bumper with table.jpg
    swing bumper with table.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,099
Check out Detours of Maine. I just ordered mine from them, but it won't be ready for another 4 weeks or so. I got the RidgeRunner Swing-away custom built for my Ram.

https://detoursofmaine.com

Thanks a lot Red; I just left a message for them, and also shot him a message and some photos on facebook. I found a photo of the type of thing I am looking for, but this company does not make anything for a Colorado.

I'll let you know what his response is - thanks again!ultraswing 2.jpgultraswing 1.jpg

R4D4R

Why does it have to be specific to the Colorado? Tailgate clearances?
I'm building something somewhat similar to what youre trying to do with some 2" square strut steel. Mine is going to hinge downwards to clear the rear tire on my JK with the side swing tailgate. I'm using it for gas and tools (shovel, canoe paddles, etc) but I'm sure you could do something like this for a spare.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The majority of the hitch carriers are universal, they simply insert into the receiver and you mount your spare and other items to the carrier. What is it you are specifically asking about in reference to your Colorado?

The ultra swing in the pictures above is exactly what I am interested in because of the way they built the additional mount for something like the bike rack in the photo.

It won't work for a Colorado however because when you lower a tailgate it would land right on the release for the swing. If you look closely at the ultra swing you'll see it works awesome, as long as your tailgate lifts UP.

Other carriers like Wilco for example don't have the extra area to effectively mount a bike rack like in the ultra swing video.

They are currently building an ultra swing for a Colorado which I assume will work on other trucks where the tailgate drops down, they told me they need to re position the release mainly.

I'm looking for something that will do all of the following:
Spare tire
Folding table mount
Possible ax and shovel mount
Allow for attachment of bike rack

So far, ultra swing is the only thing that comes close.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I use a Wilco Solo on my Porsche Cayenne. I had an axe/shovel mount welded to the back of the carrier. Wilco makes a Hi Lift mount for that location but I can't use a hi Light with my car. I also have a Bug-Out-Rack arounf the tire to hold my propane tank and a water container. I leave the top free to use as a little table. http://www.bugoutrack.com/

IMG_20181105_055842275.jpg1.jpgIMG_20181016_142547828.jpgIMG_20181012_183506192.jpg

I use a Wilco Solo on my Porsche Cayenne. I had an axe/shovel mount welded to the back of the carrier. Wilco makes a Hi Lift mount for that location but I can't use a hi Light with my car. I also have a Bug-Out-Rack arounf the tire to hold my propane tank and a water container. I leave the top free to use as a little table. http://www.bugoutrack.com/

View attachment 493279View attachment 493280View attachment 493281

Thanks for sharing. I like the ax and shovel set up.

oksir83

Other carriers like Wilco for example don't have the extra area to effectively mount a bike rack like in the ultra swing video.

Several of the Wilco carriers have an additional receiver where you can attach a standard bike rack. I know for a fact the Wilco Offset has this.

Several of the Wilco carriers have an additional receiver where you can attach a standard bike rack. I know for a fact the Wilco Offset has this.

I'll check this out and report back. I visited the Wilco site several times and cannot remember finding an equivalent to the Ultra Swing. Let me look again and see.

I remember now why the Wilco won't work, with the bike rack attached in that slot you can't swing open the carrier. Because the hitch mount is not mounted to the swing arm, once the bike rack is installed it essentially prevents the swing away movement. So for example if this was on the back of a pick up with a camper like the AT Habitat, I'd need to remove the bike rack and bikes just to swing away the spare to gain access to the back of the truck.

Ultra swing attaches the bike mount to the swing arm so the entire tire / bike rack / bikes all swing away like this photo allowing access to the back with one motion.

AJ1_6259_1200x.jpg

So I'll patiently await the people who say the Ultra Swing should be available for the Colorado by end of February!

robert

Expedition Leader
Can you weld? Got a local metal dealer of a metal scrapyard nearby? None of them look particularly difficult to make; the hardest part would be bending the tubing and you can probably get a local muffler shop to do that for you- one local to me wanted $5/bend if I provided the material when I was thinking about buildng a roof rack.

Can you weld? Got a local metal dealer of a metal scrapyard nearby? None of them look particularly difficult to make; the hardest part would be bending the tubing and you can probably get a local muffler shop to do that for you- one local to me wanted $5/bend if I provided the material when I was thinking about buildng a roof rack.

Lol I wish Robert. I don't have any tools and I lack any welding skills or I'd be all over trying to create my own! I used to be an auto mechanic over 20 years ago so I can rotate tires and change oil and real basic stuff but that's about it.

robert

Expedition Leader
You lack tools? I thought saving money was the excuse we all used to buy a garage full of tools. :cool: Yeah I get that though, especially if you live in an apartment, town home, etc. You might check some of the Colorado forums to see if there are any build parties in your area, also a great way to meet people to wheel with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles