Hodakaguy's 4x4 Sprinter Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Continued from above....

Here's where the Vertical track will be installed. This will be one of the two front supports for the bed.

P5160495-X2.jpg

Prepping the track and drilling holes...

P5160497-X2.jpg

P5160500-X2.jpg

P5160503-X2.jpg

The plastic covering around the windows lets me install the L-track a little differently on these sections. I used a Forester bit to carefully cut a larger hole in the plastic then drilled the hole for the Plus Nut in the middle of the larger cut out. The head of the Plus nut is now recessed perfectly in the plastic and allows me to install the angled L-track without having to recess the back of the track for the head of the Plus Nut. This allows for a stronger overall installation.

P5160510-X2.jpg

P5160518-X2.jpg

P5160515-X2.jpg

Plus Nuts Installed....

P5160516-X2.jpg

P5160521-X2.jpg

And installing the Vertical Piece of track.....Fits great! The aluminum track conforms to the curve of the van as you tighten up the bolts, just start in the middle and work your way out.

P5160525-X2.jpg

P5160528-X2.jpg

P5160529-X2.jpg

P5160531-X2.jpg

P5160532-X2.jpg

P5160533-X2.jpg

P5160536-X2.jpg

More to come.....

Hodakaguy

ITTOG

It is looking great. Do you have an Amazon link for the plus nuts tool you borrowed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Plus Nuts & Rivet Nuts. I made up a video showing the difference between a Rivet Nut & a Plus Nut...when to use each and an overview of the different installation tools.

Plus Nuts are super handy and I've been using a lot of them. I've been asked several times recently about the differences in a Plus Nut and a Rivet Nut so decided to make up a video and demonstrate the tools in action.

Note that the Pneumatic tool is now available under $200.

Astro 1450 Plus Nut Tool: CLICK HERE
Pneumatic Rivet/Plus Nut Tool: CLICK HERE
Standard Rivet Nut Tool: CLICK HERE
Plus Nuts: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy

ITTOG

Awesome review. Thanks. This will be handy as I think I will need to use some plus nuts soon. Was planning for rivnuts because I didn't know about plus nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Yeah man, I am looking forward to getting out again as well... its now been 2 years since I have been out to an event. Lots of family camping in the RV, but none in Overland Event mode. heh

Looking forward to following along in this build.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Finishing up the L-track today.

Here I'm getting ready to cut and install the lower portion of vertical recessed track that will capture the lower panels.

P5170578-X2.jpg

And I'll be cutting and installing the forward horizontal section as well. I re-installed the OEM plastic pillar so I can cut the track for a snug fit.

P5170579-X2.jpg

And installed....

P5170582-X2.jpg

P5170586-X2.jpg

P5170600-X2.jpg

Hodaka Wife helping out today and installing the front Thinsulate insulation. Hoping to re-install the front headliner next weekend.

P5170588-X2.jpg

P5170630-X2.jpg

Installing the power wires that will power our portable chest refrigerator. Here I'm using the factory installed speaker wires as pull wire to pull in the new Marine duplex wire.

P5170601-X2.jpg

P5170603-X2.jpg

As I pulled up the new wire I taped some old telephone wire to the marine wire so that I could use the telephone wire as a pull wire to pull the factory speaker wires back down into place.

P5170605-X2.jpg

P5170606-X2.jpg

Loom installed. The power port for the fridge will sit in the rear section of the forward panel.

P5170623-X2.jpg

This is the power panel I fabricated for the fridge power. It has a Blue Seas Marine cigarette plug on the top and a Powerlet port on the bottom.

P5170609-X2.jpg

P5170611-X2.jpg

Went through and applied wire loom to all the ceiling wires. The wires are already double insulated but the extra measure can't hurt.

P5170598-X2.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
"..The aluminum track conforms to the curve of the van as you tighten up the bolts, just start in the middle and work your way out. .."

I was wondering about that...

Are they resisting getting shaped or do they simply bend when you start bolting them up, if you don't mind me asking.

_hein_

Observer
Just scrolled through the build so far. Nice workmanship and impeccable attention to detail. Appreciate all the photos showing the Thinsulate SM600L. It has been a great product for us. Are you planning on any audio upgrades?

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
"..The aluminum track conforms to the curve of the van as you tighten up the bolts, just start in the middle and work your way out. .."

I was wondering about that...

Are they resisting getting shaped or do they simply bend when you start bolting them up, if you don't mind me asking.

They just bend when you tighten them up, but they will return to straight if you take the bolts back out.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Just scrolled through the build so far. Nice workmanship and impeccable attention to detail. Appreciate all the photos showing the Thinsulate SM600L. It has been a great product for us. Are you planning on any audio upgrades?

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Thanks, I'm enjoying the build. Eventually I want to change out the head unit, I'll be installing upgraded speakers in the rear.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Daily update.....

Headliner back from the upholstery shop...recovered in automotive tweed.

P5210686-X2.jpg

Running wiring for a future dash cam and led lighting. The upper headliner area will have a shelf and bulkhead along with LED lighting inside of the bulk head.

P5210689-X2.jpg

Installed....looking good!

P5210702-X2.jpg

P5210704-X2.jpg

20200521_175132-X2.jpg

My buddy Mike at VanLab starting on the paneling. Paneling you say?....wait a minute....didn't you say that you already built and installed the overhead panels? Well that would be true, but Mike and I got together and decided to tweak a few things to make the fit up even better so we decided to remake the panels. Here Mike is test fitting the forward center section before covering. The track is hanging loose in this pics, they line up once tightened up.

P5210695-X2.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Reactions: MCX

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I often get asked about different tools I'm using in our Sprinter Build and figured I would highlight a few of my Must Have tools in a short video series.
This video highlights my Deburring tool...this tool is soooo handy to clean up edges when drilling holes for Rivetnuts, Plusnuts or just running wires etc.
Hope you find these videos handy for your builds

Aluminum Shaviv Brand Tool Available Here: CLICK HERE
Plastic Shaviv Brand Tool Available Here: CLICK HERE
Royal Products Tool (The Shaviv tools above are a better value) Available Here: CLICK HERE
Replacement Blades: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz