Holy cow Jeepman, I wound up with a new Hard Rock! SOLD SOLD SOLD

kriegersa

This is awesome, thanks for this!

I do have one question about the two below pictures.

I'm trying to figure out where you installed these. Could you snap a picture of where you placed the lights themselves or a description of where you placed it would be helpful, also, how'd you mount them? sticky tape? velcro, drilling?

The ones inside just above the hatch, are those mounted I assume on the hardtop, did you drill into your top? or use some sort of adhesive?

And the ones that appear on the glass that serve as overhead lights, how did you mount those?

Incredible build by the way!
Thanks!

Edit: If these are the ones you got, then it looks like its just a sticky back on the lights. How's the sticky-ness holding up on the rear glass? an
I installed one set inside just above the hatch
View attachment 404829

and one set on the hatch to serve as over head lights
View attachment 404831

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
Thanks for to comments kiregersa! They work great for me and have all summer long, I have about 30 days out this summer and haven't had any issues. The ones I got are these from this E Bayer http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-Xenon-White-100-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Backup-Interior-Strip-12V-6W-/152438660410?hash=item237e0d5d3a:g:5I0AAOSw8gVX409q.

They come with double sided mounting tape that has worked well for me. I placed 2 on the inside just above the glass between the hinges. If you look around up there you will see how it curves from the back to the roof. I found a spot that sort of gave them the right angle as not to face forward or straight down. I was thinking I would do another set on the speaker bar but found that at night I can light up the forest enough with these so I will hold off. The other 2 are just stuck to the glass with the provided mounting tape. I placed the driver's sided mid glass. For the tailgate side I set up the table and played with the light until it I got what I thought was was the best light for that and mounted it.

I hope this helps. Let me know if this works for you. I can try and get some pictures today if you still need them. BTW I'm thinking of getting another set, hey at $10 why not, for under the hood.

ratled

kriegersa

Thanks for to comments kiregersa! They work great for me and have all summer long, I have about 30 days out this summer and haven't had any issues. The ones I got are these from this E Bayer http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-Xenon-White-100-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Backup-Interior-Strip-12V-6W-/152438660410?hash=item237e0d5d3a:g:5I0AAOSw8gVX409q.

They come with double sided mounting tape that has worked well for me. I placed 2 on the inside just above the glass between the hinges. If you look around up there you will see how it curves from the back to the roof. I found a spot that sort of gave them the right angle as not to face forward or straight down. I was thinking I would do another set on the speaker bar but found that at night I can light up the forest enough with these so I will hold off. The other 2 are just stuck to the glass with the provided mounting tape. I placed the driver's sided mid glass. For the tailgate side I set up the table and played with the light until it I got what I thought was was the best light for that and mounted it.

I hope this helps. Let me know if this works for you. I can try and get some pictures today if you still need them. BTW I'm thinking of getting another set, hey at $10 why not, for under the hood.

ratled

Nope, no need for pictures, your description has helped plenty!

Thank you again for your help and I look forward to watching you build your fantastic rig!

Cheers!

ratled

Adventurer
Happy New Year everyone!

Well it’s been a year already! To date, the Jeep has exceeded every expectation and it has seen some good times, good places and has got to some good gold. Looking forward to the next year and what that brings.

I was waiting on a really big mod for several months now but I don’t think that it will see fruition. I had been holding off on doing anything else pending this but it’s time to move on. I managed to get a few items done and a few more are in the works.

The first thing to get done was to get rid of the front-end rake.

With the dual batteries, winch and the natural rake something had to give. I’m not looking for a lift really or bigger tires; a budget boost wasn’t even an option. I was looking at the AEV 2.5”, Mopar 2” and the OME 2” lift. I had talked to a few folks, looked at endless posts and videos and it all came to a blur with haters and fan boys for each. I went to a local shop and told them what my objectives are and asked for their thoughts. Surprisingly I didn’t get the canned answer I was expecting and I was caught off guard at the answer. He said a Rancho 2” 4 coil Sport Lift with Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. I do have Rancho shocks on my truck and they have been problem free for 12 years. The price point was very good. I did some looking around, and there isn’t much out there on these, but they are designed for a 33" tire and can go up to a 35”. I heard a 37” has been done with a flat fenders but again I’m not looking for a bigger tire.

Before: 34 ¼” front 35 ¼” rear to the bottom of the fender centered on the wheel
0eqFnLi.jpg

After: 36 7/8” front 36 1/2” rear

Gain + 2 5/8” Front + 1.25” Rear

I haven’t had it long but so far it has met the objectives. I also added the caster shims and a OME front steering stabilizer.

More to come, next up is my E nav system but I have to take a couple of pictures

ratled

EDIT: one last picture that really shows it off with stock wheels

And one of the front

Last edited:

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Looks great. Good job!! Don't be a sheep and follow the herd. Do your own thing. Bigger is not better Rock on and happy new yr to you to!

ratled

Adventurer
I was able to figure out what I wanted for a navigation system. I went with the FREE Magellan TRX 7 app on a IPad gen 4. I have it on a Ram mount system off the passenger grab bar and am using a Dual Electronics XGPS150A for the GPS unit.

When paired with Goggle Earth and All Trails on the laptop and Ioverlander on the cell phone, it makes a good combination. I have a good set of maps and some trail books to round it all out.

Magellan TRX7 app for land navigation
I Pad gen 4
Ram Mounts
RAP –B-404u - Medium Tough Claw
RAM-B-202U 3” arm 4/ round base
RAM-HOL- TAB20U – 8” I pad holder
RAM-HOL-UN8TU -Webbing

I used a Ram medium Touch Claw off the grab bar, a 3” Ram arm, the 2.5” round base and a Ram Tab Tite cradle for 10” tablets.

Next up is a pair of Rigid Ind Ignites for the rear bumper and 8 Lux lights for ground lights
ratled

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
I was able to install the Rigid Industeries Ignite back up lights. HOLY COW are these little things BRIGHT!

4.jpg

I installed these in the stock 10 A steel rear bumper and ran them through the Spod rather than hook them into the back up lights. I don't always need them as a back up light and there are times I would like to have them on and not have to be in reverse. An interesting find for me is with the 10 A bumpers is they are not only held on by 2 bolts on each side but also the long 4 bolts for the hitch... and it is no easy task to undo those so close to the muffler.

After I got the bumper off I set it on a flat surface (cough kitchen table cough) and it has natural cant to which worked out well for me. I laid 3” level next to it and it was the perfect height: I took the face frame off the Ignites and rested them on the level to play around with it to see where I wanted them. I wound up placing them with just over an 1” inside of the seam from plastic insert on the bumper and marked the 2 mounting holes. I drew a straight line to connect those marks to establish a center line and marked the middle of that with a dimple to drill. I did this for both sides. I used the recommended 1.75” hole saw and there was no turning back.

I hit the raw edges with a rattle can and test fit the lights to be sure everything was lining up right. With the lights just resting in place I used the level again to square everything up and drilled out the smaller mounting holes. After that it was just a matter of putting it all back together and run the wires up to the Spod.

After all is said and done I am very glad I went this route. I bought these from Northridge 4X4 for under a $100 to the door for the pair. These are small enough to fit in most tight spaces like this. Here a few pictures of them and the one video I found on them on You Tube. He hooks his to the back up lights so you will have that info if you choose to go that route.

Next up was suppose to be the rock lights but the driveway is too cold for my bum leg for right now to be crawling around under the Jeep. So next up is to upgrade the tire carrier and add some jerry can holders. I'll probably get to the back up camera while I am rooting around in there.

ratled

Stock back up lights - non LED
2.jpg

the Ignites and stock lights
3.jpg

A day light close up
Day.jpg

The only good video I found on these

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

BigBad408

Observer
I was able to install the Rigid Industeries Ignite back up lights. HOLLY COW are these little things BRIGHT!

I installed these in the stock 10 A steel rear bumper and ran them through the Spod rather than hook them into the back up lights. I don't always need them as a back up light and there are times I would like to have them on and not have to be in reverse. An interesting find for me is with the 10 A bumpers is they are not only held on by 2 bolts on each side but also the long 4 bolts for the hitch... and it is no easy task to undo those so close to the muffler.

After I got the bumper off I set it on a flat surface (cough kitchen table cough) and it has natural cant to which worked out well for me. I laid 3” level next to it and it was the perfect height: I took the face frame off the Ignites and rested them on the level to play around with it to see where I wanted them. I wound up placing them with just over an 1” inside of the seam from plastic insert on the bumper and marked the 2 mounting holes. I drew a straight line to connect those marks to establish a center line and marked the middle of that with a dimple to drill. I did this for both sides. I used the recommended 1.75” hole saw and there was no turning back.

I hit the raw edges with a rattle can and test fit the lights to be sure everything was lining up right. With the lights just resting in place I used the level again to square everything up and drilled out the smaller mounting holes. After that it was just a matter of putting it all back together and run the wires up to the Spod.

After all is said and done I am very glad I went this route. I bought these from Northridge 4X4 for under a $100 to the door for the pair. These are small enough to fit in most tight spaces like this. Here a few pictures of them and the one video I found on them on You Tube. He hooks his to the back up lights so you will have that info if you choose to go that route.

Next up was suppose to be the rock lights but the driveway is too clod for my bum leg for right now to be crawling around under the Jeep. So next up is to upgrade the tire carrier and add some jerry can holders. I'll probably get to the back up camera while I am rooting around in there.

ratled

Stock back up lights - non LED

the Ignites and stock lights

A day light close up

The only good video I found on these

This makes me sad that I couldn't make them work on my Genright Bumper. Looks awesome!

ratled

Adventurer
I'll be attending this year's Mild to Wild ride for the Blue Ribbon Coalition on March 10th. If you will be in the area then come join the ride!

ratled

Reno "Mild to Wild" Trail Rides

March 10 , 2018

Calling All Jeeps and 4x4's

Saturday before the Reno Off-Road & Motorsports Expo. Proceeds to benefit the BlueRibbon Coalition.

Come join in the fun.

All trails leave from Our Park , HWY 50 & River St., Dayton, NV. Depart for trails at 9:30am .

Bring your lunch for a full day of fun!

The cost is only $40 per vehicle. If you would like an application please email to shirley@lockettshows.com

flyer2.jpg

ratled

Adventurer
A couple of pictures from this weekends BRC ride. It's always nice when everything works like it's supposed to!

ratled
20180310_130137_resized.jpg

20180310_132458_resized.jpg

20180310_140446_resized.jpg

20180311_040725_resized.jpg

ratled

Adventurer
Added a few items over the last couple of weeks. On the BRC ride one of the Jeeps had a set of storage bags I wound up crushing on. I ordered them on Sunday night and they came today. $90 for the set to the door off of E Bay. Not Goose Gear I know but also not the price or the weight
right.jpg

You can also see the 5BC extinguisher and roll bar holder I added to the kit.
left.jpg

I grabbed a Katadyn 10L water purification bag to resupply on the go. I have similar set up in a sports bottle I used last summer and it was a life saver. I wont be with either from now on. It will be stored in the new bags
katadyn.jpg

Lastly I wanted some kind of portable anchor point for winching since half of the places I go are snow and mud and don't always an anchor point. I considered the Pull Pal but it isn't bullet proof, usually requires 2 people to make it work and I wasn't thrilled with the price point. Everything else, while cheaper, is even less reliable. I went with the 3-2-2 picket system for an anchor point. Bomb proof and only about $50. It does take a few minutes to set up but only needs 1 person to set up.

321.jpg

Here is what a 3-2-1 system looks like setup. The Jeep would be off to the left. This setup is the older method with a windless between pickets, Up graded to ratcheting straps to speed things up and make it easier.
picket-2.jpg

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
I liked the Ridged Ignites so much I decided to up grade the reverse lights to LEDs. I wanted better than stock but not as bright as as the Rigids. I tried to order a set Genssi LEDs but had issues with the vendor. I ordered a similar set off of E Bay. About 2-3 times brighter than stock but not as bright as the Genssi would have been. These will fit the bill.

Stock reverse lights:

1.jpg

New LED's

2.jpg

New LEDs and the Rigid Ignites

3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles