Home built interior cabinet material options

Recce01

Adventurer
Hi Guys,
We are just about finished with our Total composites habitat box and I have a question about interior cabinets, counters, dinette's etc. Has anyone used either thin steel or aluminum 1" square material to frame out their cabinets then just skinned them for esthetics? I ask because I am a metal fabricator and the process would go a lot faster that way. I am far from any kind of carpenter and see how wood doesn't appreciate washboard over time. Thanks for any input or thread links!

Scott

Ramdough

Adventurer
Hi Guys,
We are just about finished with our Total composites habitat box and I have a question about interior cabinets, counters, dinette's etc. Has anyone used either thin steel or aluminum 1" square material to frame out their cabinets then just skinned them for esthetics? I ask because I am a metal fabricator and the process would go a lot faster that way. I am far from any kind of carpenter and see how wood doesn't appreciate washboard over time. Thanks for any input or thread links!

Scott

Look at Everlander on YouTube. That is what he did. I thought it was nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
I am far from any kind of carpenter and see how wood doesn't appreciate washboard over time.

Plastic. Light, strong, lasts forever. And you don't even need to build them!

Wood is fine BTW, just glue and screw the joints.

Wyuna

Observer
Lightweight Plywood with a laminate, durable and light, but im a cabinetmaker, so that easy for me.

If i was you i'd be welding up Aluminium frames as you are a metal fabricator and then using a laminated 3-5mm ply to cover the aluminium framing

You could also line the ply with fabric instead of using laminate

ScottReb

Adventurer
Take a look at Aluminum Composite Panels. Can be routed and easily bent. Use thin wall aluminum with connectors, no welding, and bond the ACP to the tubing. Several European and Australian builders have been doing this for years.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Take a look at Aluminum Composite Panels. Can be routed and easily bent. Use thin wall aluminum with connectors, no welding, and bond the ACP to the tubing. Several European and Australian builders have been doing this for years.

The problem with those is that they will dent very easy. Plywood cabinets on the other hand can be easier fixed and give your interior a "living room" look. Where metal is loud and can look like an "industrial shop space setting". For the fronts you could "spruce it up" with very easy to take care off Vinyl wrapped doors. They are fairly cheap and are holding up very well. I'm a furniture maker by trade and opted for those for our kitchen. It truely looks like a high end paint job.
Another thing I personally noticed with metal interiors is the fact, that on cold days when you first warm up the interior there can be a lot of condensation build up on those surfaces. It will also take quiet some time to either cool or heat up a metal surface vs a wood cabinet. Then there is the expansion/ contraction of metal.....

Scott: Have you asked a local cabinet maker to put some cabinets together for you? The camper has flat walls and should be easy to measure out for cabinetry and interior walls.

The Artisan

Adventurer
I am making my cabinets out of 1" frp dove tailed composite panels then skinning it with countertop laminate. Light and strong
Kevin

Recce01

Adventurer
Thank you for the suggestions guys! I am leaning toward the aluminum framing option. My main concern is a smooth finish with an edge that can be finished as well. I also do not want to experience any waves in the material I select with heat and cold. So, pretty much smooth for easy cleaning, edge finish nice, light weight and can span roughly 2' ( non load bearing) without being too flimsy.... not too much to ask right!?!?! Hahaha.

I have some 1" honeycomb to use for walls, but trying not to lose too much space with that kind of thickness... decisions decisions.... ?

nastav

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

Scott

Scott,
Grant Wilson uses aluminum square tube skinned with an aluminum composite material (of some sort) in his sprinter builds.
I think the only wood in his interiors are drawers and cabinet doors?
Here is a link to his website and he is one here as well as sprinter source and Instagram.

ScottReb

Adventurer
Take a look at ZoneRV in AU. They have used ACP and tubing in their vans for several years, it will give you an idea of how it looks finished. You can look at the specs of Dibond and see strengths/weight vs plywood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne