Home made snorkel - data points

alia176

Explorer
A friend with a '97 D1 made up his own snorkel using Exhaust tubing. He did a study of the temperature differential:

---------------
snip

So I was wondering what the intake temp was with snorkel and without, so i have been running a set of tests.

With engine warm and a temp sendor in the air box this is what I have found. I drove a 10 mile loop with some city and some 55 mph highway.

Outside temp this morning 42 degrees.

With Snorkel - Highway 42
- City 48
Without Snorkel - Highway 63
-City 72

That is 24 and 21 degree drop in intake temps.
--------------------

pwc

Explorer
Good info. Have him check again in the summer. I'd be curious to see the difference.

RonL

Adventurer
More data.....

Snorkels look cool but do they help?

Most of us are not going to go deep enough in to water to need a snorkel. I have only been in water once where I need a snorkel, but luckily the “bow wake” kept the water out of the airbox. That event at the Cliffs Offroad Park scared me enough to know that I wanted one, just in case it happened again.

I have installed a snorkel on my 1997 Discovery. It is a homemade design out of 3” exhaust pipe with a rear facing intake cap. The design is similar to a Mantec but with bigger diameter pipe. I have run tests to see what effect it has on intake temps. I installed a temp sender in the top half of the airbox and use a multi-meter to record the temperatures. I have driven the same route for three weeks and recorded the temperature differences. All the temperature readings are of slow speed highway driving, no “stop and go” city traffic.

Average air temperature difference from “outside air to intake air” with snorkel was 3 degrees and without snorkel was 14 degrees. So intake temperature is 11 degrees lower with a snorkel, but more important is the fact that the intake temperature is within 3 degrees of outside temperature. Cooler air equals greater air density which equals more power.

I would like to know how a Safari Snorkel or a Mantec Snorkel affects temperature, so if anyone has one and wants to run their own test I can send a picture of where to place the temperature sender.

I will continue this testing when the weather gets warmer to see how higher air temperatures affect the readings.

Pictures at
http://photos.yahoo.com/ronaldlefevre/my_photos/snorkel

My first set of numbers that Ali posted above are higher because of engine compartment was hotter from city driving I had done before the test run. These tests were done with a cold engine with 4 hrs between test runs.

pwc

Explorer
Ron, welcome and thanks for the post!!
It's good to have some data to make a decision.

thanks!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
RonL said:
Snorkels look cool but do they help?

Most of us are not going to go deep enough in to water to need a snorkel. I have only been in water once where I need a snorkel, but luckily the “bow wake” kept the water out of the airbox. That event at the Cliffs Offroad Park scared me enough to know that I wanted one, just in case it happened again.

I have installed a snorkel on my 1997 Discovery. It is a homemade design out of 3” exhaust pipe with a rear facing intake cap. The design is similar to a Mantec but with bigger diameter pipe. I have run tests to see what effect it has on intake temps. I installed a temp sender in the top half of the airbox and use a multi-meter to record the temperatures. I have driven the same route for three weeks and recorded the temperature differences. All the temperature readings are of slow speed highway driving, no “stop and go” city traffic.

Average air temperature difference from “outside air to intake air” with snorkel was 3 degrees and without snorkel was 14 degrees. So intake temperature is 11 degrees lower with a snorkel, but more important is the fact that the intake temperature is within 3 degrees of outside temperature. Cooler air equals greater air density which equals more power.

I would like to know how a Safari Snorkel or a Mantec Snorkel affects temperature, so if anyone has one and wants to run their own test I can send a picture of where to place the temperature sender.

I will continue this testing when the weather gets warmer to see how higher air temperatures affect the readings.

Pictures at
http://photos.yahoo.com/ronaldlefevre/my_photos/snorkel

My first set of numbers that Ali posted above are higher because of engine compartment was hotter from city driving I had done before the test run. These tests were done with a cold engine with 4 hrs between test runs.

Snorkels primary intent is not water its dust. Water is a side benefit.

In desert travel the high intake significantly lowers the amount of dust sucked in.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Grim Reaper said:
In desert travel the high intake significantly lowers the amount of dust sucked in.

Assuming you're not following Brady's dust wake :O

RonL

Adventurer
Keith, how is the old LRover project coming?

Keith,
Do you get your the v-8 in yet?

Last edited:
The V8 is in ... but the frame turned out to be, ahem, lacking integtity :(

Found loads of nasty stuff when cutting to mount the Scout steering box.

A "new" frame is at Jimmy's, but we need to transfer the modifications from the nasty frame to the new one then finish bulkhead mods.

I'll get back that direction after 15-April and get things rolling again.

KAA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior