Homemade adventure trailer

Loud Al

Observer
After spending quite a bit of time looking for a ready made trailer that met my requirements I've decided to build my own.

There are several units out there that are very nice but the prices are way more than I'm willing to spend. The other nice thing about building my own is I get to expand my fabrication skills, and dust off my long dormant welding skills.

So here we go.

Plans, gotta have plans. Even if they don't survive the first steel cut :D

i-nvrqw3w-XL.jpg

i-kpBkVh2-XL.jpg

i-rpMNr2V-XL.jpg

Wednesday my buddy Luke came over and we got a ton done

First the axle, gotta make sure it will fit between the wheels. It is 3500# 6 lug with adapters from the lug centric trailer to the hub centric Toyota wheels.

i-Kz7Q7GM-XL.jpg

Now let's cut some steel, it is going to be all 2X3X1/8 tube, except the draw tube which will be 3X3X1/8 with a 2.5X2.5X1/8 sliding extension piece.

i-Sv37Fvh-XL.jpg

Gotta get a good base

i-d8sxjZw-XL.jpg

This is how far we got, I have to pick up some more steel then I can finish the A for the draw bar.

i-bv9WX5p-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
Got the axle mounted, and parked it behind the 4Runner, I like the height. Now to paint the underside and start on the upper.

i-W3mBrrC-XL.jpg

i-TNMV3bn-XL.jpg

i-nR2jHfV-XL.jpg

i-4424Xjh-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
I had to move the axle forward, it was too much tongue weight

I got the sides installed

i-XNvzNsQ-XL.jpg

I got the framing for the shelf installed, this shelf is going to be bolted in so I can work on the infrastructure of the trailer

i-ZDFhfFx-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
The water tank came in this week

i-q6GnJ79-XL.jpg

Built a mount for it today

i-dmkN67s-XL.jpg

Built the top to the Water Tank cage

i-J87Xb4x-XL.jpg

I picked up this saw blade from Home Depot, goes through that 1 X 1 X 1/8 like butter, much nicer than the abrasive wheel

i-pjMRDwH-XL.jpg

The frame of the tailgate

i-NKjjsdr-XL.jpg

skinned

i-SwXV2fp-XL.jpg

Started on my extendable tow bar

i-fBRcLS2-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
My buddy Luke came by, so I put him to work :D

i-tW4SVCT-XL.jpg

We worked on the exterior framing and fender mounts

i-p9CHgh2-XL.jpg

i-GjkSSqP-XL.jpg

Mocking the fenders

i-N32FxkQ-XL.jpg

Fenders mounted, slowly making progress

i-9zxxp7T-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
I got the wiring done

i-g6J933k-XL.jpg

I took it for a test drive, it pulls nice and straight.

i-KB5vvd4-XL.jpg

A little paint, of course I will have to take some off when I put the tent platform on.

i-MMNQ6dw-XL.jpg

The interior is going to be all gloss white, hopefully it will help me find things.

i-cTJdP2r-XL.jpg

Plumbing

i-tpkj46v-XL.jpg

I think the color combo works

i-FJSHr4L-XL.jpg

Tent platform

i-HcwbjW3-XL.jpg

The arms that will allow it to go up and down

i-VzhRwv8-XL.jpg

bench shot

i-sMrJJH2-XL.jpg

MTaco

Adventurer
Very cool. So do you just lift the rear up and it locks then walk around to the front and lift it and lock it in? Will be nice to see the finished product.

Loud Al

Observer
Very cool. So do you just lift the rear up and it locks then walk around to the front and lift it and lock it in? Will be nice to see the finished product.

Pretty much that is the idea, we will see how well it works when I get some weight on it. I'm more worried about how fast it will drop when dropping into the travel position.

overover02

Very nice. I only wish I had the skills to attempt that. Thank you for sharing. Look forward to following the rest of the build...

Loud Al

Observer
I'm made a ton of progress, which is good because we are off to Utah on Saturday

I got the tent installed, only had to make a couple of minor modifications to the lifting system, I also had to relocate the water fill.

i-CKPxcNz-XL.jpg

Here it is mostly done, just a couple of things left to do.

Fix the trailer wiring, I jury rigged the wiring to the tow rig so that needs to be fixed.
Install the canopy, I have the mounts done just need to buy some hardware.
Put another tongue jack, the trailer wiggles around a little too much right now.
Weather strip the tailgate

i-t7Gn5G3-XL.jpg

i-vKS5C4Q-XL.jpg

i-mNBBfBc-XL.jpg

Phoenix

Adventurer
I think we need video of the tent going up and down :lurk:

Looks great! What are you using for stabilizers when the trailer is unhitched from the tow vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior