Homemade adventure trailer

jonnyquest

Adventurer
What's the reason for the extendable tongue? I've thought of doing the same to allow for a canoe on top of the trailer.

Loud Al

Observer
What's the reason for the extendable tongue? I've thought of doing the same to allow for a canoe on top of the trailer.

I plan on putting a motorcycle on the front and the extendable tongue will allow me to reduce the tongue weight with a bike on it.

Loud Al

Observer
I think it would be nice to see some gas struts installed on those tent-lifter arms.

How to make them work effectively is the question, to which I don't have an answer. I went with this system because I couldn't get steel that would telescope in the time frame I needed. I'm off to Utah for two weeks, after that trip I may reconsider many aspects of the trailer.

Septu

Explorer
Question for you about the water tank... while I'm not sure of the size, why did you mount the tank vertical while running down the middle of the floor length wise, vs mounting it width wise and either across the front wall, or laying flat in the middle nearer to the axle? It just seems like an awkward size and location that could easily make life frustrating when packing gear...

Loud Al

Observer
What you don't see in the picture is my Drifta Kitchen This takes up all of the space on the left side of the trailer. I could have made the trailer 9" longer and put the water tank in front of the kitchen. I bought the tank because it was cheap and I was running out of time, I originally planned for a different tank which was not available in the time frame I needed.

Loud Al

Observer
Well I'm back from its maiden voyage, 3,250 miles from Portland Oregon to Moab and back. All in all I'm very happy with the trailer. It towed great, the kitchen is the bomb, and being able to setup camp and then take off in the 4Runner is great. The system for raising and lowering the tent has to go, it does work but it is a fiddly PIA.

Here are some pics

Here it is loaded and ready to go

i-N4h8Pwr-XL.jpg

First night setup, the wind was howling. I see that CVT now has sides for their awnings, I will have to check them out.

i-6gQnHZ6-XL.jpg

Even with the wind howling, the tent was very steady and nicely comfortable. I will be swapping it so it deploys off the passenger side so the kitchen and the tent face the same way.

i-sppQwKH-XL.jpg

Dark out there at night

i-6dcqZ6g-XL.jpg

Making breakfast at a city park in Ely NV, pulling out the kitchen only takes a couple of minutes and it is nice to make a meal anywhere. We did this several times when traveling and it not only saved us money but saved time as well.

i-mQkW5LM-XL.jpg

i-G4nPcZt-XL.jpg

The full setup with the awning as well, this setup got a lot of looks in the campground :D

i-PMNGBR5-XL.jpg

i-CX4j2pp-XL.jpg

View from the kitchen

i-LFxWC9K-XL.jpg

I ran into this couple in Moab, I will be stealing some ideas from them.

i-s4tQDxJ-XL.jpg

i-DdvqTmv-XL.jpg

i-h7qpcJ3-XL.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
I changed the system to lift the tent, the new system works much better now.

[video]http://www.allanleahyphoto.com/Other/Adventure-Trailer/n-6Tf9G/i-RQGZj9B/A[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94