homemade trailer braking

firesq14

Observer
hello all,
what i have is a 94 chevy truck made into a trailer. what i want to do is put a braking system on it. not sure how i would do this. i have looked on the net and so far only have found "conversion" kits from drum to disc. if i have to do that fine. but what i do not know is the "mechanics" behind it. do i change out the whole hydralic lines and all, or it there a way to use the electric to a master type cylinder to use the hydralics?

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Look at surge brake actuators. These will mount on the tongue and is an integrated ball coupler and master cylinder. I suggest keeping the drums, but assure you get a surge unit that can be "blocked" to allow backing up a hill.
HTH

bob91yj

Resident **************
Surge brakes are common on boat trailers, talking to the folks at a local full service boat shop should be helpful.

firesq14

Observer
very cool ideas. i live in Ma. i know that surge brakes are... "not allowed". but i have used them before.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Google "Electric over hydralic brake actuator"

This design allows the use of hydraulic brakes on the trailer, and uses standard electric brake controller in the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior