Honeymoon in Chile - Where should we go?

It's a little late, but I figured I'd ask the forum. My new wife and I will be spending 3 weeks exploring around Chile and wanted to ask the forum any good excursions and places to visit. We want to seek out some amazing landscapes but hope to avoid a lot of the overly tourist places.

Right now, we'll be in Santiago until Jan-1 and then Punta Arenas through Jan 7 and then driving from Puerto Montt to Santiago in the not-most direct route possible from Jan 8-Jan 17. Any ideas where to visit on the road trip? Should I rent 4 wheel drive or should we just go 2? Does anyone have a reliable 4x4 I can borrow? :ylsmoke:

I own a 1964 Unimog 404.1 but unfortunately couldn't take enough time to make that work for this trip. So I just consider this trip a precursor to a much longer road trip in a couple years with that. All suggestions and vehicle rentals welcome!

Cheers,
David

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
This far , wheather has been amazing in southern Chile, over 90°F and no cloud .... water sports, mountain biking , etc.

Excuse the quality , its a cell phone picture ....

coax

Adventurer
The weather from Santiago to Puerto Montt was great when I was there a few weeks back. Unseasonably nice. You should have a great time. I didn't explore long enough to know the not-touristy places but I gather there are some great beach towns plus some good National Parks inland. Might try to hit the Maipo valley east of Santiago. I didn't make it there but hear its quite beautiful but maybe a bit crowded being so close to santiago.

The weather from Santiago to Puerto Montt was great when I was there a few weeks back. Unseasonably nice. You should have a great time. I didn't explore long enough to know the not-touristy places but I gather there are some great beach towns plus some good National Parks inland. Might try to hit the Maipo valley east of Santiago. I didn't make it there but hear its quite beautiful but maybe a bit crowded being so close to santiago.
First of all I like to share with you here that we can enjoy many things and most of the travel there, but now I am going to have to spend my moments on the destination of the Maipo valley with my friends, but now I want to see some images of this Maipo valley. I will wait for all of your replies here and then try to soon go there for enjoying myself there...