Hood blackout

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well, I have fought the idea for a few weeks, but my LightForce 240's just reflect too much for comfort. The quote for Rhino lining the top of the hood was $150.00 Paint is just a little less. Vigg Designs sells a decal for $60.00

I lack the desire to paint it myself while a sticker is within my skill-set.

What say you folks? If this was your mission, how would you proceed?

Blair G

Adventurer
Schattenjager said:
Well, I have fought the idea for a few weeks, but my LightForce 240's just reflect too much for comfort. The quote for Rhino lining the top of the hood was $150.00 Paint is just a little less. Vigg Designs sells a decal for $60.00

I lack the desire to paint it myself while a sticker is within my skill-set.

What say you folks? If this was your mission, how would you proceed?

I used a rattle can of semi flat on the 110. Worked perfect and am able to retouch it when necessary. I think it cost a whopping 10 bucks for 2 cans of paint. I already had some wax and grease remover for painting cars. Used that with a scotchbright pad and roughed up the surface a little. Turned out fine.

Blair

Icewalker

Adventurer
Yep - I'm going with the rattle can as well. I'm challenged when it comes to putting in decals that size :) - Although the idea of dropping the hood off to have it done by a spray shop is pretty enticing. Knowing my luck they'd probably charge $300 in NH and leave paint runs in it to boot :D

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
My concern comes from the fact that the previous owner took such good care of this car - the paint is flawless. The idea of ME taping it off just right then getting a smooth, painted finish is - well it's beyond my imagination!

The decal is supposed to go on like tint - wet the hood - slide the decal around until it is in place, then squeegee the water and air out. I'm sure this is sounding easier than it really is, so I guess Vigg Designs marketing dept. plan is a good one...

I'm going by a paint and body shop today to see what they think $ wise.

New guy here ... and my only claim to admittance is the day I recently spent in the company of GJackson and Connie et al trying to be lost north of Moab :)

There have been recent discussions on Discoweb (?) with regard to the Vigg decal not having quite as matte finish as some folks have wanted.

Personally, I need the shiney hood to see the traffic signals.

Thanks all,

Keith

Last edited:

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
I would go with APE wraps and have them do it. If for some reason you want it removed, you can go back to the original paint and it won't harm it.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
This may be going the extreme route, and possibly more costly...but what are the odds of picking up a salvage hood and hitting it with some cheap spray, preserving the pristine paint of the original?

Other than that, the wraps sound like a neat idea. Heck, you could even get some cool design on it too.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I'll bet a salvage hood and Krylon would be price competitive with a professional matte paint job, and no worries at all about keeping the original hood in good shape.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I just got a paint estimate for $200.00 So, it looks like the Vigg Design decal is the way I am going to go.

Alaska is lacking Disco II hoods in salvage so I am betting (hoping) the decal wont hurt things too much...

whistler110

Observer
I apply a lot of the 3M stone guard to bikes to protect the paint jobs, it's not that hard just make sure that the hood is clean and you use the water solution to keep it from sticking right away. One other thing that people miss is that the sticker can stretch as you apply it and that can cause wrinkles. I also use a heat gun on low to warm it slightly wherever it has to wrap around contours.

gjackson

FRGS
New guy here ... and my only claim to admittance is the day I recently spent in the company of GJackson and Connie et al trying to be lost north of Moab

Keith, took you long enough to show up!!

</hijack>

cheers :beer:

knuth

I used to have a '95 Disco and purchased the decal from Vigg Designs. It was perfect and a cheap way to go. Once it came in the mail I took it to a window tinting place and they *properly put it on the hood. I can't put a bumper-sticker on without bubbles. But yea, good investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior