Horton minimod ambulance build thread

CaptainBuilt

Oh, also, I have a google drive folder with step by step instructions for every job I have done so far (removal/ install instructions for the HPOP, Water Pump, CPS, Fuel Bowl, Turbo, etc.) that I printed out and had in plastic sleeves in a binder when I was doing the work. It was really handy to have step by step instructions, which pictures and torque specs ready to go. I would be happy to share that folder with you if you shoot me a private message.

Awesome! I sent you a PM.

A wave snowy and cold weather has all but put a stop to progress. I did manage to get new tail lights installed and make a new wiring harness for them, and so that is something. I had the lift kit and wheel's/tires show upIMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1341.jpgIMG_1340.jpgIMG_1339.jpgIMG_1338.jpg

kyleHoffman3

Hey there! super happy to find this thread! I'm also from Washington state and just bought my ambo last year. I too have an E350 7.3 PSD and am going to be doing the same thing you are this next summer. this thread is very helpful so thank you for updating!

Small update. I pulled the oil cooler today to replace the O-rings and gaskets. The large o-rings were extremely brittle, and flattened out. The smaller o-rings seemed ok, but I replaced them anyway. Got the cooler put back together, which was fairly interesting without a press, but I made it work. I will hopefully reinstall it tomorrow if the weather cooperates, and I am praying that the new o-rings and gaskets will stop the crazy oil leak it had before! No update on the lift unfortunately, sounds like I will be getting the brackets welded on by a buddy on march 1'st, and then I will start pulling the front end apart.

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

gmtech

Observer
lucky us in our two wheel drive 7.3's I hear its a lot harder to do in a 4wd van/truck. mine where about the same when I did it. 244,000 when I did mine

lucky us in our two wheel drive 7.3's I hear its a lot harder to do in a 4wd van/truck. mine where about the same when I did it. 244,000 when I did mine

Still not a fun job with the 2WD van, but I can imagine that with anything else in the way it would be a nightmare! Took the van on its first drive after all the HPOP, fuel bowl, turbo pedestal, water pump, and oil cooler work today. Seems to not be leaking other than the tiniest little seep from the radiator (not actually dripping to the ground, just a drop on the bottom of the radiator).

57264114986__CF49734F-C92C-420A-8273-F9FA62D01284.jpg

tmo2460

Observer
Looking Good! I am looking forward to seeing it with the lift, our ambulances are going to look like twins.

Used the van to run a load of stuff to the dump the other day, and their scale said it weighed 7380 pounds with me in it and half a tank of fuel! Pretty heavy for a stripped interior but not the end of the world by any means!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Used the van to run a load of stuff to the dump the other day, and their scale said it weighed 7380 pounds with me in it and half a tank of fuel! Pretty heavy for a stripped interior but not the end of the world by any means!

Lighter than I’d expect... I’m only a hair bigger and about 9000 lbs. the D/S is 700 lbs heavier than the P/S... which would make the cabinets at most 1000 lbs.

Pretty crazy day. I had my van in the shop thinking I had some bad U-joints because I had a vibration while accelerating. Turns out I have 2 injectors that are going bad. I was quoted $5500 to replace 2 injectors, glow plugs, under VC harnesses, and valve cover gaskets. I am at a loss for what to do here. I also was given an official start date with the Air Force today and I leave for Alabama to attend OTS on March 19th. I was planning on driving my van across the country to Alabama, but don't know what I'll do now.

eporter

Adventurer
Dang, that's a lot to drop considering all you've already done. I'd call around for a second opinion. I had a shop give me a similar diagnostic on a vehicle once, then I took it to the "specialty" shop for that make, and the guy said. something along the lines of "well...they all do that, so it's not that big of a deal, keep an eye on this, that, etc."

Is there a 7.3 Powerstroke place near you? Or some other diesel specialty shop? The 7.3 is well-known at some shops, and never seen by others.

Not sure where you are in WA. NW Powerstroke in Vancouver, WA is a good shop. Quick google search shows me some specialty shops like NW Diesel near Everett, Total Performance in Tacoma, or something similar near you.

Is there harm in parking it for the time being. Sucks to be out the fun project vehicle, but maybe realize where you are/aren't in the whole build process/timing/$$/etc. and make a call from there. I'm not in the service, but I can't imagine a lot of free time in OTS...? Maybe wait until you've got the time to dig in and do it all yourself? There are 8 injectors and glow plugs, so it may be worth taking the two (or more) out & rebuilding/replacing as necessary.

Last edited:
Dang, that's a lot to drop considering all you've already done. I'd call around for a second opinion. I had a shop give me a similar diagnostic on a vehicle once, then I took it to the "specialty" shop for that make, and the guy said. something along the lines of "well...they all do that, so it's not that big of a deal, keep an eye on this, that, etc."

Is there a 7.3 Powerstroke place near you? Or some other diesel specialty shop? The 7.3 is well-known at some shops, and never seen by others.

Not sure where you are in WA. NW Powerstroke in Vancouver, WA is a good shop. Quick google search shows me some specialty shops like NW Diesel near Everett, Total Performance in Tacoma, or something similar near you.

Is there harm in parking it for the time being. Sucks to be out the fun project vehicle, but maybe realize where you are/aren't in the whole build process/timing/$$/etc. and make a call from there. I'm not in the service, but I can't imagine a lot of free time in OTS...? Maybe wait until you've got the time to dig in and do it all yourself?

I honestly think I will just do the injectors myself if I can get a set here in time. It doesn't seem like too terrible of a job, but the timing is an issue for sure. And you are right, I will not have much time during OTS, but unfortunately I will not be back to Washington for some time, so I figured it would be best to take it with me.

Ordered injectors, they come on Thursday, hope I can get through that project ok! I have been working on the lift when I have time! I have the front end all wrapped up, but am not being held up by some very stuck leaf spring bolts! Its always something! If someone has any advice on how to get those bolts off it would be appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles