Hot Shower Options

jet noise

Observer
Hey folks,

I'm kinda new at this but last time I was out, I needed hot shower capability and didn't have it. So, for now I have the cheap solar shower but I'd like to eventually upgrade to a vehicle mounted heat exchanger setup.
I figure I can mount a water tank between the frame and axle of the trailer, 18 or 20 gallons and use that for my water source in case there are no natural water sources around.

I'm thinking I'll have two options. Option one would be to pump the tank water through a heat exchanger on the Jeep and back into the tank, and just run it until my water temp is 100 degrees or so. I'd have my intake hose and output hose going to the same place. Then I could just pump my hot tank water straight from the tank to the shower, without using the engine any more. That way I can shut off the flow of water and restart it again without scalding the bejeesus out of myself.
Option two would be to pump water from a natural water source through the exchanger and to the shower, which is what I think most people who use this kind of setup do...

Would that work? I'm about to go buy a shurflo pump I found on Craigslist right now. The other obvious piece I need is a heat exchanger. So far all I can find are the Helton and the Twine units made in Australia. I'd have to pay $50 just to get it here. Any other options out there for a US delivery? Thanks in advance!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Plenty of Helton's in stock here in the US, we are their North American distributor and stock the HE1A and HW1 models. We can special order other models but they your looking at the same 3-4 weeks as a direct buy would net you, otherwise you could have a exchanger in STL by the end of the week with ground UPS and warranty/product support based here. The state of the US dollar has really bumped the prices on the Helton products (and just about everything else from overseas too). Add to that the cost of shipping, duties and customs and they are not 'cheap'. That said it is money well spent. I started as a Helton user after importing one for my personal uses 6-7? years ago now. Its been used hundreds of times now, never a second thought. More info here: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/helton.html

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Easy way to do it and save the hassle you ask? Get a Helton from Kurt,Cheaper that way and have it by the end of the week. They work great and I am pleased with mine. If you snoop around in the vehicle mods section you should see a few installs including one I did in my Tundra. Kurt has all the stuff you need. Kurt the Quick Fists are working great. I did not get time to do my finish plumbing so the last pictures you see are the end result at this time. Also finally had my hip surgery the 24th,really sore but be walking better soon. When I heal up will finish the rest of my install.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63643-03-Tundra-helton-heater-install

Last edited:

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Why not use a tankless propane powered heater? Have you looked at tankless water heaters. This would allow you to have hot water without having to run the jeep. There are many different models/styles to choose from and this type of set up would be instant (Here is an example http://www.campchef.com/triton-hot-water-heater.html )hot water instead of having to run the jeep first. That way you could also have hot water without the Jeep even being present. There are also portable (even smaller) hot water systems (Like this http://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-...IAMS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314576884&sr=8-2) that also work well and can bu used as well. I like the heat exhcange idea, but for practicallity, I think the portable systems are a better fit for being out in the woods.

jet noise

Observer
Why not use a tankless propane powered heater?

That might work just as well, but I'm thinking I want to have the hot shower capability in or out of camp. Like say on an overland trip, you come to a nice clean water creek, you could just shower on the trail and keep on keepin on. I do want to think this one through though, since it ain't cheap!

So, I scored this 12v Shurflo p/n 2088-403-444, 2.8 gpm 40 psi on craigslist for $35. Now, I'm thinking aobut where I will mount it. Can it be submerged? If so that would give me more options...
IMG_20110828_200512.jpg

Kurt, I will be contacting you soon!

cruiseroutfit

That might work just as well, but I'm thinking I want to have the hot shower capability in or out of camp. Like say on an overland trip, you come to a nice clean water creek, you could just shower on the trail and keep on keepin on. I do want to think this one through though, since it ain't cheap!

My needs are similar, I want less to pack and less 'assembly' to do at camp. I can hurry and wash hands out on the trail or preheat 5 gallons of water in a few minutes after rolling into camp while I set everything else up. I've used the Zodi and Triton, both are a good product for different needs than mine :D

So, I scored this 12v Shurflo p/n 2088-403-444, 2.8 gpm 40 psi on craigslist for $35. Now, I'm thinking aobut where I will mount it. Can it be submerged? If so that would give me more options...

I'd be surprised if the Shurflo could be submerged? That is a great size (volume) pump for a shower set-up. Likely half of our Helton customers are using similar Shurflo or Flojet pumps, varying from simple one hose plumbing to mixing valves, anti-scald devices and on-board hot water storage for sinks, etc. Sky is the limit. :sombrero:

Kurt, I will be contacting you soon!

Great, I'll look forward to it. :D

JPK

Explorer
That ShurFlow isn't submergable, I know that from experience with my sportfishing boats. It can take some splashing, but not a lot of direct water contact. Imo, it's best mounted with the motor up to prevent as much water contact as possible. These things live in boat bilges, which range from bone dry for larger, better boats to high humidity and even mist for smaller, lesser boats. But more than a little splashing leads to an early demise.

Is that pump a demand pump or switched on/off? The part No you cite isn't listed on the Shrflow web site: http://www.shurflo.com/search/resul...&proxyreload=0&q=12v+Shurflo+p/n+2088-403-444

Perhaps mounting the pump in a small box with either "QD" hose barb or garden hose fittings for inlet and outlet, battery clips for power to keep it dry?

Also, I wouldn't plumb the hot water back into "domestic" storage tanks, the hot water will promote the growth of things you don't want to be drinking or brewing cofee with. A direct outlet or a smaller second tank, dedicated for shower/dishwashing uses would be a far better option, imo.

JPK

jet noise

Observer
Thanks, JPK. The pump is on-demand and just by looking at it, it looks like it could handle some splashing but not being submerged. I don't have many mounting options under the hood without rerouting a bunch of stuff, so my first thought was to mount it somewhere on the undercarriage of the jeep. But, after sleeping on it, I think it might be alot less hassle just to mount the pump on a 1x6 board and leave it unmounted. Then I could use it for the jeep, trailer, well anywhere.
If I can figure an easy way to waterproof the thing, I would go with the inside of the frame mount. Maybe silicone? Anyway It will be some time before I can afford all the parts, so I have time to think it over...
BTW the tank will only be for cleaning up. I will have potable water in the water cooler. That way, I can travel with the tank empty and fill it with the best water available on site.

jet noise

Observer
What about mounting it in a small ammo box to protect it from the elements?

That's using the old nugget! Sounds like a good, cheap solution--I could just mount fittings on the can and then have it down low on the vehicle.

I just got some hose and stuff and tested it out, it pumped a 5gal bucket dry in 2 minutes. I've got a shower to use for Land Between the Lakes this weekend! That's good news since there will be a few of us for several days :snorkel:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Becareful showing by a lake or water source. Some states require 100ft or more from the source due to run off. Just check before you do so.

cruiseroutfit

Becareful showing by a lake or water source. Some states require 100ft or more from the source due to run off. Just check before you do so.

Non-issue in Utah but rules might be more stringent in some areas of National Parks i.e. LWC, WS & Wilderness Areas. Of course if they are those then you can't likely have a vehicle there either :D

We use biodegradable soap but I still prefer to fill the water from the river/lake and shower in camp rather than on the beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke