How about a surplus HMMWV platform?

fordtuff06

I was able to register mine. I had to add a back up light before it passed inspection, but that was all. I did have a little bit of an issue trying to find someone to insure it because the vin number is only eight digits. Finally Farm Bureau insured it.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Yeah, I was going to say it differs on the state regarding the HMMMV. For example, Oregon you can register them with Truck plates (T-plates) or Special Interest Plates differning on your needs.

Interestingly, I've seen up in Vancouver, BC a guy who has a HMMMV who lives in a highrise downtown with regular BC Plates; I wonder how that worked with ICBC...

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion here, so let me see if I can help. The short answer is, it depends. Sometimes it depends on the state, for example Arizona wont register and plate a surplus humvee, end of story. I live in South Carolina where anything is street legal so as long as I have my ducks in a row when i get to the DMV, I will probably not have any issues. The update that has changed the game is the SF97 Form that comes with the surplus HMMWVs now. This can serve as a bill of sale, and many have been able to get it registered as a street legal "pickup" with plates.

Having said that, sometimes the people at the DMV can be quite sour, so they might just turn someone away because they have no idea what they are looking at, but the fact is that yes, they can be registered and street legal.

And the loudness factor is a good point. Maybe dynomat could make a significant difference. But it is still a good point. The comfort is not too bad in the front, but the back seats suck. Can't tell you how many times I've slammed my shins into the crossbar while sitting in the back seat. The worst part about driving them is that marines make you wear full combat gear to drive them, and back sapi plate always dug into my back.

I might pick one up. We'll see.

Anyone want a pretty little 1st Gen trooper? Haha
that trooper ain't pretty, stop lying to people!

Yeah, I was going to say it differs on the state regarding the HMMMV. For example, Oregon you can register them with Truck plates (T-plates) or Special Interest Plates differning on your needs.

Interestingly, I've seen up in Vancouver, BC a guy who has a HMMMV who lives in a highrise downtown with regular BC Plates; I wonder how that worked with ICBC...

pperently if its 15 yrs old or older its just like any other import, it will need an out of province inspection and be brought up to minimum standards then an assigned VIN once it passes the inspection and the rest is like every other trasaction with ICBC

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I always wanted one, but to use as a ranch truck. Checking water, fixing fence, etc. I have driven one, but not much. It reminded me of driving a tractor on the highway but with less room inside. That being said, i would still like one; albeit not for long trips. And I doubt anytime soon.

I thought there used to be a few guys here with H1's but am unable to find the thread now.

Im in oregon, we have a guy here i noticed who has the 2 door variant with the truck plates so, i can verify that.

Matt any links for your contact?

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
pperently if its 15 yrs old or older its just like any other import, it will need an out of province inspection and be brought up to minimum standards then an assigned VIN once it passes the inspection and the rest is like every other trasaction with ICBC

No, it'd be "American goods returned" not an import.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles