How are those newer Tacos working out?

jasmtis

I quite like the size of the Tacoma's. Actually, I wish the rear seats had about 4-5" more leg room. Even at the expense of some bed space. The rear seats are just a little tight for tall passengers.

One can always get a Jeep JK/JL 2-door if they want a small trail rig with a manual transmission.

Go price a two door JL, no options except a hard top on the base model puts you past $30k. I can justify that money for a truck that's trail capable but also does everything else I need a vehicle to do reasonably well but that's insane for what you're getting in a two-door Jeep.

phsycle

Adventurer
Go price a two door JL, no options except a hard top on the base model puts you past $30k. I can justify that money for a truck that's trail capable but also does everything else I need a vehicle to do reasonably well but that's insane for what you're getting in a two-door Jeep.

JL's are still relatively new. No surprise that they're not discounting them a bit more.

Also, technically, Jeep's aren't in the same buyer segment as the Tacoma's. People are buying these for play toys, not to haul mulch and construction supplies.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I disagree @phsycle, the target markets are mostly the same now. The commercial market is a byproduct with the Tacoma. If it wasn't I suspect they'd still sell a regular cab and offer the utility delete options, for example. If I was to guess I bet the majority of Tacomas sold are TRD Sport or Offroad trims in 4 door versions. Most compact trucks will see a few bags of mulch twice a year, maybe. I think the 1/2 ton market is still large and maybe still a majority for commercial, but not Tacos.

jasmtis

There's a lot of overlap. They're both being bought as daily drivers that can also make a fun play toy, though the ability to haul mulch once a year and construction supplies for the odd project make the Taco an easier sell to a lot of people.

phsycle

Adventurer
I disagree @phsycle, the target markets are mostly the same now. The commercial market is a byproduct with the Tacoma. If it wasn't I suspect they'd still sell a regular cab and offer the utility delete options, for example. If I was to guess I bet the majority of Tacomas sold are TRD Sport or Offroad trims in 4 door versions. Most compact trucks will see a few bags of mulch twice a year, maybe. I think the 1/2 ton market is still large and maybe still a majority for commercial, but not Tacos.

Most research shows Jeeps are cross-shopped with boats. Tacoma's may also be considered a "play toy"; however, it's a legitimate primary daily driver. Unlike the Wrangler. Perhaps with the Wrangler truck coming, it'd put the two closer together.

Clutch

<---Pass
I quite like the size of the Tacoma's. Actually, I wish the rear seats had about 4-5" more leg room. Even at the expense of some bed space. The rear seats are just a little tight for tall passengers.

As much as I ********** about the size of the not so "new" Tacomas...they might just be the perfect size. The 1st Gen Tundra is about the perfect size for the average weekend warrior home owner like many of us. The Tacomas are darn nearly the same size as those Tundras. More engine and stripped down options would of been nice, but it is what it is.

I have to say, the manual is pretty fun to drive. I am quite infatuated with it now. :D Auto was ok as well. Just some finicky issues that wasn't a major concern, but an annoyance.

I could live with an auto, but ultimately like a manual better. Every time I drive my auto Trooper for any length of time, then jump back in my Tacoma I am reminded of that.

It is the age old thing....the small trucks are work horses everywhere else in the World. And here they are mainly run around recreational vehicles. Heck, even fullsizes are anymore. Even the 3/4-1 Tons...mainly bought for image, and yanking around a travel trailer a few times a year. Because majority of owners are waaay too busy working to keep up with those payments to actually get out and use it [much].

phsycle

Adventurer
As much as I ********** about the size of the not so "new" Tacomas...they might just be the perfect size. The 1st Gen Tundra is about the perfect size for the average weekend warrior home owner like many of us. The Tacomas are darn nearly the same size as those Tundras. More engine and stripped down options would of been nice, but it is what it is.

I could live with an auto, but ultimately like a manual better. Every time I drive my auto Trooper for any length of time, then jump back in my Tacoma I am reminded of that.

1st Gen Tundra's are about the same size, but they do feel so much bigger driving it, though. The older T100's were nice as well. Too bad they didn't come with a double-cab option.

I'm really jiving with this manual. Never thought I'd enjoy driving a truck with a manual as much as I am. Strangely high reverse gear like DaveinDenver said. But not a big deal.

DaveInDenver

It is the age old thing....the small trucks are work horses everywhere else in the World. And here they are mainly run around recreational vehicles.
You know as well as I that compact trucks have always been popular mainly with homeowners, climbers, hikers, etc. Some of them ended up in fleets, I remember Denver had several 3rd gen mini trucks in their fleet that seemed mainly in the pool for code enforcement, landscape and engineering. But mostly they've always been used around the house and for camping.

Exceptionally cheap gas made full size more attractive (1 ton image aside) and with the relative price going up it's only natural that the midsize trucks are popular again.

Clutch

<---Pass
1st Gen Tundra's are about the same size, but they do feel so much bigger driving it, though. The older T100's were nice as well. Too bad they didn't come with a double-cab option.

I'm really jiving with this manual. Never thought I'd enjoy driving a truck with a manual as much as I am. Strangely high reverse gear like DaveinDenver said. But not a big deal.

I think it is the interior...the Tundra's feels more spacious than the 3rd Gen Taco...while exterior dimensions are eerily similar.

Wish the Tundra's had manual backed V8. That would be a darn nice combo.

You know as well as I that compact trucks have always been popular mainly with homeowners, climbers, hikers, etc. Some of them ended up in fleets, I remember Denver had several 3rd gen mini trucks in their fleet that seemed mainly in the pool for code enforcement, landscape and engineering. But mostly they've always been used around the house and for camping.

Exceptionally cheap gas made full size more attractive (1 ton image aside) and with the relative price going up it's only natural that the midsize trucks are popular again.

I joke about "real trucks" ...in all reality. Haven't needed a real truck in over 26 years. Even when I worked construction, the last few years I had a Toyota for my personal run about vehicle.

And now...really only want a bigger truck for a more comfortable camper (getting old Dave)...even then, it won't be used for work...only recreation. Need to cash in for that to happen...don't see that happening any time real soon.

Last edited:

Rivers2run

Observer
Great discussion thank you. I live in state that uses no salt on the roads so rust is not an issue for my 2003 . I have been leery of all the add ons in the new models. She still runs well so I keep hanging on but I know I will need change at some point. Please let me make my own braking decisions. Let me chose a static seatbelt or no seatbelt at low speed. Let me air down tire pressure without constant nagging warnings. I'm sure there is plenty more. On the hand I'm tired of paying for timing belts, and the low gearing could be a bit lower.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

@Rivers2run, FWIW, TPMS is just a light comes on. It's not annoying, no dings or beeps or anything. It's a Federal government mandated thing but it's really neither here nor there to me. When I air down for 'wheeling it fades into the Christmas tree of lights for the 4WD, LOW, ABS OFF, Locker, Clutch Cancel...

The ABS thing, yeah, I wish I could get without but on my truck (which isn't all things considered that much more complex that yours, only 5 years newer) it's turned off with a single fuse pull and I'm back to the same system as my 1991. I don't have TRAC or VSC on my truck and it still has a vacuum booster like yours. The seat belt does ding but it goes off after a minute. The dash light continues to flash, though. I dunno, I defeated it on my 1991 too, but usually wear my seat belt anyway.

The thing that really annoys me about my 2nd gen is the electric shift transfer case and the lack of plain old front hub locks. I can deal with ancillary systems if the basic truck is simple and reliable. I just worry that there's a 4WD ECU that's making decisions for me.

I had a 2001 for about a year before getting the 2008. The 2001 was noticeably more complex than the 1991 but the 2008 was only marginally more. So I figured the 6 speed stick and suicide doors (which I LOVE!), improved engine were worth it. I tend to think I would get really annoyed by the center screen dash and all the systems of a 2018, too. But I dunno, maybe not. We have a 2017 Forester which I really like and it's got 2 screens. But it's the super base model, steel wheels, 6 speed manual, etc. It's pretty basic, doesn't even have a roof rack.

DaveInDenver

@DaveInDenver Sounds like time for an FJ xfer case swap.
It's on the radar, the problem is it doesn't let you remove the 4WD computer and actually makes it slightly more complex because you have to trick it into engaging the front drive. I go back and forth, on one hand I get a proper stick on the other it's not really an unreliable system as long as it's maintained. Yeah, I think I'm saving pennies for a Marlin Taco Box. So trying to shoehorn in a stick for that is enough customization.

Clutch

<---Pass
Great discussion thank you. I live in state that uses no salt on the roads so rust is not an issue for my 2003 . I have been leery of all the add ons in the new models. She still runs well so I keep hanging on but I know I will need change at some point. Please let me make my own braking decisions. Let me chose a static seatbelt or no seatbelt at low speed. Let me air down tire pressure without constant nagging warnings. I'm sure there is plenty more. On the hand I'm tired of paying for timing belts, and the low gearing could be a bit lower.

You have a lot more life in that truck. If you're willing to keep on fixing it, it will keep on going. My '99 has 383'000 on it now. Engine is still purring like a kitten. *knock on wood*

Timing belts you only have to do every 90K....chump change compared to a brand new truck. To replace my exact truck with a newer one, the TRD's are going for $35-38K in my area. They are super nice, and I don't mind some of the nannying, but I would loose my beloved manual trans in the ACLB. Could live with the auto, however... that kind of money keeps mine running a lonnnnnng time.

On average it cost me $1500-2000 in repairs a year to keep it going. $35-38K keeps it going another 17.5-19 years. Sure I get a little tired of fixing it, but in all reality it only needs a major repair once or twice a year. Not really a big deal even if we think it is.

Redoing the front suspension for the 4th(?) time this weekend. Only costing me $580. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new truck. Demodding from my Camburg coil-overs to more simpler OME's.

phsycle

Adventurer
... To replace my exact truck with a newer one, the TRD's are going for $35-38K in my area. They are super nice, and I don't mind some of the nannying, but I would loose my beloved manual trans in the ACLB. Could live with the auto, however... that kind of money keeps mine running a lonnnnnng time...

TRD Sport AC's can be had for low $30k's. I'd say $31k, without options. With a manual as well. But that is still a lot of money. Unless more space, power, or need for safety features was needed, I'd hold onto that 1st Gen. Of course, currently, 1st Gen's with relatively low miles are going for a premium. So it's not a bad time to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier