How are those newer Tacos working out?

jasmtis

@DaveInDenver See I don't mind most newer techy stuff. I'd rather work on an OBD-II vehicle for the most part even. I had a 1998 BMW 3-series that was OBD-II at the same time as my 4Runner and a simple OBD-II vehicle is so much easier to work on than a pre-OBD II vehicle. Computers aren't witchcraft to me but vacuum-operated stuff is. Even nannies I don't mind, especially if they can be defeated.

Also, what's with the anti-ABS thing? That's a new one. Four-channel ABS stops the truck better than you can. Period. Even old-school ABS, unless you're a professional driver it does a better job of holding you on the line between static and kinetic friction than you can. It's not like traction control where the system's lack of awareness of the actual situation at hand means that cutting power/applying brakes to stop wheelspin may not be the way to go, there's no situation I can think of where locking up under braking is what you want. Lots of nannies are fun quelchers but turning noeses up at ABS seems like being archaic for archaic's sake.

I have a back up vehicle for when the Tacoma is down...take it in anymore. I'll do the coil-overs myself this weekend. But something like the steering rack. I'll have someone else do it. I did the last one, it was a pain in the ass. I have no problem paying someone else to do it. the rack was $800 from Toyota, labor was only a couple hundred bucks. Think I am still under that $2000 yearly repair cost so far this year.

Had a diff shop do the 3rd member and driveshaft last year (or was it the year before?) memory is getting foggy.

So when it does break, not really not too much of an issue. If I didn't have the other vehicle and lived so close to her work it would be.

So then keep it! I do not live close to work and decided I'd rather have a do-everything vehicle and a toy if/when I have a second car than an old truck and a commuter.

And anyway I like oddball cars too much to buy a commuter, knowing me I would've set out to buy a commuter and came home with a 30-year-old BMW.

Clutch

<---Pass
So then keep it! I do not live close to work and decided I'd rather have a do-everything vehicle and a toy if/when I have a second car than an old truck and a commuter.

And anyway I like oddball cars too much to buy a commuter, knowing me I would've set out to buy a commuter and came home with a 30-year-old BMW.

Oh for sure....as much as I look and look at anything and everything (love looking and researching) at the end of the day, what I already have works damn fine. It always comes back to that.

I hate the idea of putting miles on it (which causes things to wear out), but love driving it and putting the miles on it. Does that make sense? I could use the other vehicle as my commuter to save wear and tear on the truck, which BTW is far more comfortable. But like driving my truck better.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@DaveInDenver See I don't mind most newer techy stuff. I'd rather work on an OBD-II vehicle for the most part even. I had a 1998 BMW 3-series that was OBD-II at the same time as my 4Runner and a simple OBD-II vehicle is so much easier to work on than a pre-OBD II vehicle. Computers aren't witchcraft to me but vacuum-operated stuff is. Even nannies I don't mind, especially if they can be defeated.
I don't mind OBD-II, but since my 1991 was really basic and I was able to diagnose it using the built-in self test I just never got around to getting a reader. Actually I still don't have a functioning TIS system but I do have a OBD interface now at least. Trust me, I don't mind computers. I'm an EE, circuit design, PCB layout, develop embedded firmware. None of it is witchcraft...

This is actually a good point I meant to mention. The 1GR has like two VSVs and maybe a few feet of vacuum hose. It was designed from the get-go for the task and to meet emissions. So the 22R-E and 5VZ-FE are hobbled with several tacked on systems to keep them compliant. Since at the time I was living in a place with emissions testing I knew how painful it was and would be to keep EGR and air injection and all those systems functioning. There is an advantage to having current technology that meet regulations easily. I don't like the reality that they are trying to legislate old junk off the road but in the real world they are. So you have to pick your battles. Is your old and collectible vehicle worth the trouble? Maybe. It's actually one reason I wish I'd had the foresight to keep the '91. I live in a place without emissions testing now and it wouldn't have been the same trouble. Live and learn.
Also, what's with the anti-ABS thing? That's a new one. Four-channel ABS stops the truck better than you can. Period. Even old-school ABS, unless you're a professional driver it does a better job of holding you on the line between static and kinetic friction than you can. It's not like traction control where the system's lack of awareness of the actual situation at hand means that cutting power/applying brakes to stop wheelspin may not be the way to go, there's no situation I can think of where locking up under braking is what you want. Lots of nannies are fun quelchers but turning noeses up at ABS seems like being archaic for archaic's sake.
I pull the fuse on my ABS off road because it's not smarter than me in that situation. It may work but it also doesn't know how to anticipate how washboard tricks the sensors. So it'll kick in unnecessarily is all. On the road it only irritated me when I still had the truck without it. I am (or was, maybe not anymore) adept at pulsing the brakes on snow and ice and being habit I would pump the ABS truck and that is a sure way to end up with a pedal going to the floor at the exact moment you do not want it to. I don't care much either way now that we have two primary vehicles with ABS (she replaced her 2002 non-ABS Jetta with a 2017 Forester) and that habit is probably broken now.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Like I say, every situation is different. If the repair bills and situation are tolerable then no reason I can see to change. Having two trucks was never a long term option and relying on borrowing her car wasn't something I could do. So my criteria dictated my choice. I was already familiar with trying to keep an aging vehicle on the road as a daily driver, though, with that FJ40.

So I was also at least subconsciously aware that there were trips I wasn't taking because I couldn't full trust it (is that new leak or noise the big one?) or a weekend here or there I had to spend repairing rather than playing. It adds up even if you aren't keenly aware of it. I'm going 'wheeling and camping this weekend on a last minute decision primarily because I don't have to think twice about it being ready and available. In fact I've been using it so much this year that I haven't been able to sneak in a weekend to build my gantry and get the 'Nest on it. It's a problem I don't mind.

It does make me nervous, but I go anyway...worse case I need a tow home. If it does break before a trip, the Trooper can pull a dirt bike trailer just fine, and I can sleep in the back of it instead of the Wildernest. Which isn't too bad of an idea if it is cold and raining.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am really liking this guy's setup.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/new-alaskan-side-entry-flatbed-8-5-build.198730/

But I won't use enough to justify the cost. I would have to cash in some (more likely most!...all!) of my assets to buy it, not quite ready to do that. That would be my cash everything in and live on the road retirement vehicle.

I won't need 4 doors then, since all the kids will be gone. But I don't know if I'd like a single cab, either. Priced one out at Ram.com for kicks. It would be pretty cool with an aluminum tray out back. 74 gallon tank, 6-sp manual, dual alternators, standard radio, 14k lb GVWR. That's it.

1539798090518.png

DaveInDenver

It does make me nervous, but I go anyway...worse case I need a tow home. If it does break before a trip, the Trooper can pull a dirt bike trailer just fine, and I can sleep in the back of it instead of the Wildernest. Which isn't too bad of an idea if it is cold and raining.
Exactly. You have a plan, it's not an issue. You already treat the Tacoma like a play or collectible truck, it's not your primary vehicle. I maybe should've committed to the 2001 Taco and figured out a way to own both. But I could afford and see myself having just the 2008 and so that's the way I went.

jasmtis

Oh for sure....as much as I look and look at anything and everything (love looking and researching) at the end of the day, what I already have works damn fine. It always comes back to that.

I hate the idea of putting miles on it (which causes things to wear out), but love driving it and putting the miles on it. Does that make sense? I could use the other vehicle as my commuter to save wear and tear on the truck, which BTW is far more comfortable. But like driving my truck better.

Oh absolutely makes sense, every time I look at the odometer. 'Wow! Nearly 30k in not even a year! What a champ! My god, how do I already have 30,000 miles on it...'

I pull the fuse on my ABS off road because it's not smarter than me in that situation. It may work but it also doesn't know how to anticipate how washboard tricks the sensors. So it'll kick in unnecessarily is all. On the road it only irritated me when I still had the truck without it. I am (or was, maybe not anymore) adept at pulsing the brakes on snow and ice and being habit I would pump the ABS truck and that is a sure way to end up with a pedal going to the floor at the exact moment you do not want it to. I don't care much either way now that we have two primary vehicles with ABS (she replaced her 2002 non-ABS Jetta with a 2017 Forester) and that habit is probably broken now.

I don't think I've ever noticed an issue on washboard, maybe it's got smarter? Either way, in the snow like you mentioned no matter how adept a human is at pulsing the brakes, they can't precisely pulse each individual wheel on a millisecond-to-millisecond basis to get every little bit of stopping power.

Clutch

<---Pass
I won't need 4 doors then, since all the kids will be gone. But I don't know if I'd like a single cab, either. Priced one out at Ram.com for kicks. It would be pretty cool with an aluminum tray out back. 74 gallon tank, 6-sp manual, dual alternators, standard radio, 14k lb GVWR. That's it.

View attachment 478782

No kids here, but want a crew cab for storage. Like bicycles and such...Or who knows...may get a dog again when I retire. And maybe napping...took the Trooper to work a couple times. I like to take a short nap during lunch at the park. Jumped in the back seat to do so. Liked that over reclining the seat in the Tacoma. Though I will be retired at that point (hopefully!) and that wouldn't matter. But might be kinda nice if I need to pull over and want to take a short sleep and not mess with the camper.

DaveInDenver

Indeed @jasmtis, the ABS on my truck is not VSC or TRAC enabled, it's pretty dumb in a throw back way. It sees a locked wheel with the brakes engaged as a problem and starts to kick in. Over washboard it's terrible. So just for my sanity I usually disable ABS on the trail. Once I committed to it on the road I barely notice anymore. It might be a little more aggressive when to engage but I don't think I could do better head-to-head in performance.

Generally speaking, though, I just don't like things that disconnect me from driving. So it's a principle thing mostly. I'm not really a luddite so much. I like the act of driving. I do need an old car I guess but it's just not in the cards to be a car "guy" or collector. One and done.

Clutch

<---Pass
Exactly. You have a plan, it's not an issue. You already treat the Tacoma like a play or collectible truck, it's not your primary vehicle. I maybe should've committed to the 2001 Taco and figured out a way to own both. But I could afford and see myself having just the 2008 and so that's the way I went.

I just love making solutions for problems I don't have! ;) :p :D

Well Dave, don't get too envious...that Trooper was practically given to us. The one vehicle that I wished I never sold was the '73 VW Westy...but couldn't afford to keep it. It did help us for the move/new house...so some how it all works out in the end. How? I am not so sure...

Clutch

<---Pass
The most recent move would have been significantly more difficult without my Tacoma. I am 100% sure of that.

We probably could of made the VW work, but it would of required me flying back down, renting another truck to haul it up here...that and no inside storage for it at the house, not enough room...would have to pay for storage. Best just to sell it.

I trailered the Tacoma with the moving truck, and she drove the Trooper/bike trailer. Think it had a leaky fuel injector and had no time to fix it during the whole move fiasco. (gawd that whole year was a mess) So we tossed that on the trailer instead of the Trooper.

phsycle

Adventurer
No kids here, but want a crew cab for storage. Like bicycles and such...Or who knows...may get a dog again when I retire. And maybe napping...took the Trooper to work a couple times. I like to take a short nap during lunch at the park. Jumped in the back seat to do so. Liked that over reclining the seat in the Tacoma. Though I will be retired at that point (hopefully!) and that wouldn't matter. But might be kinda nice if I need to pull over and want to take a short sleep and not mess with the camper.

When the Tundra had a reg cab, you could still recline it a little as it had space behind the cab. Wonder if the Ram's are the same. Either way, I'd opt for the bench seat anyway, so you can just lay down right on the front seat! :)

Clutch

<---Pass
When the Tundra had a reg cab, you could still recline it a little as it had space behind the cab. Wonder if the Ram's are the same. Either way, I'd opt for the bench seat anyway, so you can just lay down right on the front seat! :)

The Rams are about half. It is too bad that they aren't all like the Tundra. The other thought with the crew is for moto gear bags, parts box, etc....too keep that stuff out of the camper. And do a hitch rack for the bike, don't really care for them, but keeps from having to tow a trailer. If it wasn't for the bike, would need less storage. Don't mind towing a trailer, wouldn't mind getting rid of it either. It is that whole balance of what is the "perfect" setup....there isn't one. But awfully fun to think about. Like I told Dave...absolutely love finding soultions for problems I don't have. I really should get out there and mulch some leaves...but BSing on the internet about everything and nothing at the same time is a lot more fun. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online