How did you build your tailgate on your trailer?

RockRanger

I am working on designing a "Jeep " style trailer to pull behind my wifes cj7. The only area I haven't figured out yet is the best way to build a tailgate for the trailer. I am looking for both swing down and side swing ideas. Idealy I would like to see pictures of your hinge and latch system, what you like and dislike about your setup, and what would you different.

Trying to pack a family of 3 in a cj7 for a weekend camping and wheeling trip has thus far been a disaster.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Why not make the tailgate opening in your trailer the same size as the CJ-7/YJ/TJ tailgate opening? Then you can use any of those tailgates along with their hinges and latching mechanisms.

RockRanger

Subscribed, was just thinking of posting this same topic!

Mine is just a simple 4x6x2 box
I am thinking about the same size. Maybe a touch smaller. The plan is to pull it on some of the local Sierra Nevada 4wd trails.

RockRanger

Why not make the tailgate opening in your trailer the same size as the CJ-7/YJ/TJ tailgate opening? Then you can use any of those tailgates along with their hinges and latching mechanisms.
It is a possibility. The one thing I don't like on the cj7 is the latches are on the inside of the tailgate. I don't want to reinvent the wheel which is why I am asking.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I am thinking about the same size. Maybe a touch smaller. The plan is to pull it on some of the local Sierra Nevada 4wd trails.

Ours will be more BaseCamp

My plan was frame rear sides/top with 2" angle then put a weather seal on the angle and build a 1" square tube tailgate with hinges along bottom. Then use a simple slide latch to lock it up.

The CJ tailgate would be great but too small for my set up.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It is a possibility. The one thing I don't like on the cj7 is the latches are on the inside of the tailgate. I don't want to reinvent the wheel which is why I am asking.

I while back I built a CJ-sized tailgate with outside latches; the construction starts here: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc163/jscherb/MiniM416/TailgateFab20_zps69682a42.jpg. Similar latches could be added to a factory CJ tailgate BTW.

A few photos of it:

TailgateFab20_zps69682a42.jpg

TailgateFab24_zpsc77a842d.jpg

RockRanger

Did you buy the latches somewhere or make them yourself? I have been impressed with both your trailer and hardtop you made.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Did you buy the latches somewhere or make them yourself? I have been impressed with both your trailer and hardtop you made.

Thank you.

I got the latches from Compact Camping: https://compactcampingconcepts.com/...ing-Door-Latches/p/49782834/category=12958618

280774048.jpg

They have another latch that also works well in this application, it's got a locking T-handle.

t-handle1.JPG

I did a thread on external latching solutions for CJ tailgates a few years ago, but it's on another forum... http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-309.html

tarditi

Explorer
I got my M100 with a tailgate already fabbed into it. It's a bit unrefined, but serves the purpose well. The latches are on the inside which is a plus and minus at the same time, as I plan to build a locking lid. I do have some options to make a simple outside latch and just button it up when securing the whole trailer.

Tailgate details towards the bottom of the album... https://goo.gl/photos/8EaXBq7KHF7HZmYu9

PCO6

Adventurer
I opted for a side swing tailgate mainly because it would be easier to get things in and out of the trailer without having to reach over the tailgate. I also wanted to hang things on to the open tailgate.

Here's what it looks like from the outside. I used Jeep TJ hinges which are plenty strong enough and easily available. Mine's still under construction and I have to finish the inside of the tailgate. I will be mounting a shovel, axe and fire extinguisher on the back side.
picture.php

I used an inexpensive trailer/cabinet locking handle and fabricated a latch.
picture.php

Here's my build thread with more details ...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know this is old, but would a TJ tailgate and hinges fit onto an M416? From what I can see, it doesn't look like it
The tailgate in that photo is the same size as a TJ and CJ tailgate. I doubt there would be enough room to bolt the tub side of the lower hinge in place but there might be enough room to bolt TJ tailgate in place using YJ hinges, which take up less room on the tub side.

The tailgate in this photo is a CJ tailgate, which is the same size as a TJ tailgate. The tub is a fiberglass replica but it is the same size as an M416 tub.

Done-115_zpsec1f737a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior