How do you handle your high-mounted spare?

tacr2man

Adventurer
Simplest method is a swing out arm with a nylon cord that is wound round the centre carrier for the spare wheel at front and rear , you just use the spare itself to roll the wheel up or down The carrier can be seen in this pic . although no cord used in this particular mount . its on a Bucher Duro . The wheel is a 275/80 r 20 so quite heavy . Hope that makes sense :)
IMG_20171218_160845.jpg

Trail Talk

Simplest method is a swing out arm with a nylon cord that is wound round the centre carrier for the spare wheel at front and rear , you just use the spare itself to roll the wheel up or down The carrier can be seen in this pic . although no cord used in this particular mount . its on a Bucher Duro . The wheel is a 275/80 r 20 so quite heavy . Hope that makes sense :)
View attachment 722535

Yes, we definitely need a swing-out arm to clear mount without chewing up the rim against the studs. I spent an hour today trying out/fighting with two different pulley systems. Not something I'd like to do in the dark and in the mud :-( I like the spool-effect you describe!

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
Yes, we definitely need a swing-out arm to clear mount without chewing up the rim against the studs. I spent an hour today trying out/fighting with two different pulley systems. Not something I'd like to do in the dark and in the mud :-( I like the spool-effect you describe!
Or the side of the HWY at night.

billiebob

yep, theory is great until darkness, mud, driving snow or mosquitos are added
thinking, eliminate the need to align the heavens, extend a center pylon to catch the rim..... then rotate it to align the lugs and push it home

Trail Talk

Yep, Peter's system is slick and simple. Like Peter's, a boom would still be required but I'd go for a manual winch.
dv00315-w-jpg.720592

I looked at extending the top stud but it is welded on. For either solution, a new tire mount must be built which will have to wait now as we are hitting the road next week.

billiebob

Yep, Peter's system is slick and simple. Like Peter's, a boom would still be required but I'd go for a manual winch.
dv00315-w-jpg.720592

I looked at extending the top stud but it is welded on. For either solution, a new tire mount must be built which will have to wait now as we are hitting the road next week.
Likely you will not have a flat for at least 10 years so don't over think it. Help is readily available in Canada..... Italy too.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
dv00315-w-jpg.720592

It IS a manual winch in the pic, but it can also be driven with a battery drill.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

flatheadrider

How about a cable come a long? - 1654307473468.jpeg

That will give you full control during the lowering and lifting process. You can just straight pull with it, you don't need the full weight capacity of the 2-1 pulley. Run a strap through the wheel, attach the free end of the cable to the strap, then run the cable up to a pulley on the lifting point, and attach the come a long to the bumper or other convenient point at ground level.

Trail Talk

How about a cable come a long? - View attachment 725059

That will give you full control during the lowering and lifting process. You can just straight pull with it, you don't need the full weight capacity of the 2-1 pulley. Run a strap through the wheel, attach the free end of the cable to the strap, then run the cable up to a pulley on the lifting point, and attach the come a long to the bumper or other convenient point at ground level.

Thanks, yours is the second mention of a come-along and I will definitely consider one for the hoisting chores. It also occurs to me that by replacing the mount’s studs with flush-mounted nuts I can avoid the need for a boom. Will need to carry 4 bolts just for mounting the tire, and have a fairly fine-adjusting winch to line everything up properly, but that should be lighter and simpler than rigging a boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles