How do you haul mountain bikes on a trailer with a RTT?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
This is the (used) price an ISI Carrier system goes for in Australia:

That would be almost the ideal solution for you; it's got the ability to bolt to the drawer bar (like in the 2nd DOT I posted earlier) is modular (2 or 4 bikes) and can be run on the car as well (as either a 2 or 4 bike system)

I'm trying to find a two bike carrier for us, but all I can find are the 4 bike ones.

JHRIII

I already have this made by 1Up-usa. It holds 4 bikes but by loosening 2 bolts, it can become a 3 or 2 bike rack. I have another of the same that is a single bike mount which I can take one or two off of this rack and add to it. It's all aluminum and about the shortest option given our bikes barely fit. it also positions the bikes one slightly above the other for better fit and a tad more departure clearance. I even have their swing away receiver mount so I can access the rear with the bikes still on it. (as pictured)

Attachments

• 20200607_111952.jpg
    20200607_111952.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well.... Today my 8 and 11 yr old did their first real single track MT bike ride. Up till this point it was bike paths and dirt roads. Yeah so getting back to the truck both tell me “That was awesome!” I just created two single track monsters. ?. I was then told for moms birthday this week I had to get her GaryFisher Sugar out of cobweb shed status. HA! Not sure how mom is going to respond to a birthday bow on her GF Sugar. But hey I’ll run with it.

dmandley

We have a Dual hitch. The top we put our Recon Rack 5 bike holder and the bottom we have a hitch extension and the trailer in tow. Works well.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Bikes are a problem. A friend just did a two week trip with her kids and 19ft bunk house travel trailer. 4 Bikes on the rear of the travel trailer was too much levered load caused some problems with the receiver setup on the trailer.
Yesterday we did our hot 3.5hr drive up to Yosemite area with the 4x6 tent trailer and 4 big bikes. It took some creative thinking. My Subaru Outback typically averaged about 19mpg with this trailer and two bikes plus gear. My 07 Sequoia typically did 15-16mpg. The new 2019 Expedition was running 21-22mpg at 65-70mph and was doing 19.5 mpg once we hit the hills. Pretty happy with that! Though the little 4x6 is getting smaller as the kids get bigger. AE9F1470-357A-4CA3-8464-BD5B831FF14D.jpeg

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hi everyone, new guy here from Atlanta. I'm looking to get a trailer (trying to stay away from DYI trailer, but not ruling it out) with a RTT to pull behind my JKU... And the whole family mountain bikes. I currently have 4-bike and single bike 1Up tray racks and I know stuffing the rack on the trailer's receiver hitch is an option, but a trailer... plus 4 bikes is looong and even with the rack's slight rise, I'm afraid it might justget destroyed dragging on things if the terrain gets just slightly hairy.

Two thoughts I've had so far is to do a modular roof style rack over a low mounted RTT that can easily be removed (pivoted?) to deploy the RTT. My second thought was a roof bar type rack under the RTT with bars long enough to put a bike on each side over the fender, and maybe a two bike rack on the trailer's receiver.

A pipe dream option would be an enclosed trailer big enough to fit 4 bikes into (w/o front wheels) and an RTT on top... Like a mini toy hauler.

Any creative thoughts or suggestions?
Pm me me. I might have something for you and I am in S Atlanta
Kevin

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Receiver hitch on your FRONT bumper and mount a bike rack off that

As noted above lots of problems IF vehicle in a front end accident with any type of front end/bumper addition.

Bull Bars and those cheap front chrome cattle guard type of grill guards are the worst as all they are good for causing frame damage when in any type of front accident bending at a minimum the front frame horns where they bolt to the vehicle. This causes additional expense for repair and can be noted as "Frame Damage" on a Carfax or Autocheck report as that's what you have. FRAME DAMAGE! Not good for the future resale of your vehicle!

Also as noted above some insurers will note the presence of these types of front end additions and discount the amount they will pay for damage repair when these have been added to a vehicle.

CampStewart

Observer
I don't think without complete disassembly that you could ever clean the bugs off a bike after a few hundred miles in the summer if they were mounted in front of the vehicle.

ottsville

Observer

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd put all four bikes on a rack vertically, on top of the trailer. Then put the RTT on the Jeep.

I'd also make sure that rack, and trailer length worked for 4 kayaks as well.

hudsimtn

Observer
I use a north shore rack behind my truck and use a hitch riser from curt designed for a hitch mounted rack. They make a two, four or six and takes up the least amount of length room. Like said above, if you put too much weight on the back of the trail it can cause issues. When running bikes on the roof of the trailer, it puts a lot of lateral stress on the racks if off road.
If you look on my build I originally had the rack on the back of the trailer and found the bikes got thrown around. Newer pictures show it behind the truck.

img_20180812_222253_929-jpg.492172

Mountain Maggie

Approved Vendor : Boreas Campers
Hi everyone, new guy here from Atlanta. I'm looking to get a trailer (trying to stay away from DYI trailer, but not ruling it out) with a RTT to pull behind my JKU... And the whole family mountain bikes. I currently have 4-bike and single bike 1Up tray racks and I know stuffing the rack on the trailer's receiver hitch is an option, but a trailer... plus 4 bikes is looong and even with the rack's slight rise, I'm afraid it might justget destroyed dragging on things if the terrain gets just slightly hairy.

Two thoughts I've had so far is to do a modular roof style rack over a low mounted RTT that can easily be removed (pivoted?) to deploy the RTT. My second thought was a roof bar type rack under the RTT with bars long enough to put a bike on each side over the fender, and maybe a two bike rack on the trailer's receiver.

A pipe dream option would be an enclosed trailer big enough to fit 4 bikes into (w/o front wheels) and an RTT on top... Like a mini toy hauler.

Any creative thoughts or suggestions?

The Boreas MXT has a slightly extended tongue to accommodate a front hitch receiver. We put 2 bikes on top of the tool box and then the front hitch holds up to 3 more. The adjusted chassis means tongue weight isn't an issue, and dry weight of the trailer is ~2100 lbs. https://boreascampers.com/campers/boreas-mxt/

Boreas MXT.png

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I use a north shore rack behind my truck and use a hitch riser from curt designed for a hitch mounted rack. They make a two, four or six and takes up the least amount of length room. Like said above, if you put too much weight on the back of the trail it can cause issues. When running bikes on the roof of the trailer, it puts a lot of lateral stress on the racks if off road.
If you look on my build I originally had the rack on the back of the trailer and found the bikes got thrown around. Newer pictures show it behind the truck.

img_20180812_222253_929-jpg.492172
I’m eyeing this approach also. My LOLO rack like yours is crazy heavy. My concern is ripping the socket right off the bar lol. The big advantage of bikes on the TV being you can drop the trailer run the truck to a trail head and go ride!! Vs re pack the whole thing to get the bikes on the truck to go hit trails?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94