How do you manage trash?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I would blame Bigfoot's pet raccoons. Many years ago, a couple of newbie campers in our group thought that weighing down the bag with the marshmallows in it with the silverware would keep it from being carried off. The neighboring campsite thought the cans of Mountain Dew would be safe outside too. I'm not really sure what a small group of raccoons hyped up on a pound and a half of marshmallows and a 12-pack of Mountain Dew would be like, but, ....

I tend more to believe that the wolves that we heard that evening (and the following morning) might have had some scouts out...
Th cooler at the time weighed in excess of 40 pound and was on level ground .. something made an effort several times that night... (although I have seen some pretty husky raccoons in other areas, so they cannot be discounted).

Bigfoot is going to get the blame... in the absence of tracks or scat.
(Never let reality or logic get in the way of a good story!)

Enjoy!

kga1978

A trasharoo is not an option as I have nowhere to hang it

@4000lbsOfGoat - are you totally sure about that? I don't have a tire carrier either, but I hang my 'tire' bag (Oscars Mobile Hideout) off my roof rack instead - works great. Softroadingthewest had a short video on his solution: Inside the bag, a Gamma sealed bucked so I can move it out of the bag to make it more accessible around camp.

4000lbsOfGoat

@4000lbsOfGoat - are you totally sure about that? I don't have a tire carrier either, but I hang my 'tire' bag (Oscars Mobile Hideout) off my roof rack instead - works great. Softroadingthewest had a short video on his solution: Inside the bag, a Gamma sealed bucked so I can move it out of the bag to make it more accessible around camp.
Ok, maybe "I don't have anywhere to put it" is really more like "there is no place that I want to put it because they are really bulky and, in my opinion, rather ugly and untidy looking."

If it is going to mount anywhere outside it needs to be some type of quick connect\disconnect because I'm not going to leave it out overnight. I was at OE West this past weekend and came across this from Blue Ridge Overland. Mind you, I just saw it on my neighbor's rig, not for sale anywhere. It's a lot cleaner looking than a Trasheroo with more\better attachment options so I might go with one of them when they are back in stock.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

rawtoxic

I'm a little late to the party here but interest in convo. My lady and I just realized TrashARoo's aren't just jeep backpacks so I thought I'd research them more which brought me here. We disperse camp/overland in our beloved Tiger RV. We currently use a Camco wall mounted RV trash can inside. It works perfect with free grocery store bags ya get. The lid can be annoying but can be propped open, the unit is wall mounted and lifts off from the bottom for easy bag changes. We have a crew cab so accumulated bags usually go on the floor there. Typically we are touching civilization or dump station every 7-8 days so the trash is usually ripe then.

shopping

The idea of trasharoo and outdoor trash storage is appealing, no one wants to be in confined space with aging trash but at the same time I'm not sure how wildlife safe these options are? I like the idea but is the general idea of storing trash outdoor when it can be stored indoors a bad idea? I know it's feet away indoors but seems like a bigger chance for encounters stored outdoors.

RE: Trash burning and breaking fire ban to do it.

I believe one of the largest Colorado historical wildfires (before 2020) was started by ranger burning a old love letter in a firepit, the Hayman fire I believe. So burning just a little trash can be a risk I believe burn bans should never be broken unless the fire is matter of your life like hypothermia, signal fire, etc. Campers breaking burn bans leads to camping being banned. In our area of Colorado much of the hoohah complaints of dispersed camping have to do with fires during bans and campsites turned into homeless encampments. Act in the best interest of your hobby overall to protect it.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Trasharoo on the Jeep. In my camper I use a small trash can. When its full it goes into a plastic trash bag. I'll use one of the collapsible containers if I'm in one spot multiple days. I no longer do campfires so have to carry the burnables out with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz