How far is too far on a bike

jadmt

ignore button user
Well y'all got me looking hard at the klr

I like the extended range over the honda for sure

What spare parts do you consider a necessity?
like previously said a couple of spare tubes and even carry spare tires. If both have the same bikes one carry one front and the other a rear. Chances are you won't need them but never know. Not really any other spares as KLR's are pretty tough. depending on year google klr doohickey mod. Not really much else to worry about.

b dkw1

Observer
KLR with a 16T front sprocket will be pretty happy at highway speeds. If you run a small front sprocket and spin them up for long periods, they like to use oil. A jet kit an silencer really wake them up and shed a few pounds. Lighting needs help. Some LED pods tied in to the highbeams will do wonders.

Untitled.jpg

Also, hand guards.....

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
KLR with a 16T front sprocket will be pretty happy at highway speeds. If you run a small front sprocket and spin them up for long periods, they like to use oil. A jet kit an silencer really wake them up and shed a few pounds. Lighting needs help. Some LED pods tied in to the highbeams will do wonders.

View attachment 564031

Also, hand guards.....

How's those leds treat your battery and stator?

b dkw1

Observer
How's those leds treat your battery and stator?

Well, they are 24W a piece so?

I never noticed any charging issues with them even on cross country trips driving all night long. They were the driving pattern, would not recommend running them all the time unless you like pissing people off. If I were to do it over again, I would get a wide/fog to run all the time and have the driving one kick on with the high beam.

D

Deleted member 9101

I use to ride my 919 from Florida to New Mexico every winter. Just pack lite and don't get in a hurry and you'll be fine.

IMG_264409892256505.jpeg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

Engine oil, chain lube, tubes, clutch handle and cable, brake handle (they can break off when the bike gets dumped), spark plug, tool kit that fits every nut/bolt on the bike, small fuel can, spare headlight bulb (they can break from the vibration), fuses, electrical grease (for the kickstand and clutch safeties due to mud or water intrusion), upgrade subframe bolts and carry the old ones as spares, small bottle of locktite in kit, if the chain and rear sprocket are both good, no need for those but if worn I’ve known guys to carry both on long road trips. Etc.....

Good luck.

shade

b dkw1

Observer
BTW, the Acerbis hand guards now have a cast structural member. Unlike the old wrought ones that would bend a little these just shatter. Avoid them.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Saddle boxes/bags?

Depends....

Panniers/hardcases: Great for carrying, protecting and organizing gear. Can be used as table, chair, bar or kitchen counter At camp. Great for keeping heavy gear and CoG low. Good for theft protections. Can be expensive. Looks overlandy cool. Great place to stick all your cool stickers. Can overpack and become heavy. Can become dangerous if you go down and your leg gets trapped under it. Can hit ******** on narrow trails or large objects.

Soft Luggage/soft panniers/bags: Flexible and can conform to the gear you carry. Relatively inexpensive depending on material and brand. Comfy to lean against. Some aren’t waterproof and will need liners. Requires straps, cord, bungees to secure to the bike. May self eject during crash. Have to dig through several bags to find the one item that has vibrated to the bottom of the last bag you looked in. Makes a crappy bar since your bourbon will fall over. Can over stuff and stack too high on rear luggage carrier and throw of CoG. Easily stolen by cutting open or cutting straps. can be cut/torn or ripped when bike is layed down. Are soft and cushy when you lay the bike down and trap your leg under the bike. Once wet, they can stay wet. Great starter luggage or short duration trips.

5228E2F5-C3CB-4924-8D23-5D8AC27D67DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles