How far should I trim my fender back for chains?

Bravo30

Test fitting a set of Pewag Brenta-C chains before we head up to Maine. Tire size 265/75/r16 with the mud flaps removed.

Looks like I have an inch of space there between the chain and the fender. I have a 2013 Mercedes’ sprinter 2500 2wd with an Agile off-road suspension kit on the van with Heavy duty springs so the back doesn’t bounce around much at all but if I hit a hard enough bump the chains could potentially hit fender so I definitely need more space but how much?

I also have a set of Pewag ladder type D-ring chains so they would need to fit also.

Thoughts?

46A93AAA-56B4-4EB8-B916-7578EC8B62CF.jpeg

ABA983AB-F46E-4BEF-94F2-CF5F2CE009D0.jpeg

9BD2048C-C13B-4C70-B391-87541ED1FD3F.jpeg

billiebob

I wouldn't touch them. one inch clearance is plenty if the chains are tight.
Altho relying on a rubber tarp strap to keep them tight is not my idea of secure.
Those look more like a tractor tire chain than a truck tire chain.
And they look too small for those tires.

billiebob

Chains are only meant for like under 20mph.... they are going to slip between the cross links and that big gap where you added the red chain will be the weak link. Steep mountain grade, the tire will accelerate and when the next link grabs....

No movement til 30 seconds but this is his fourth run at the hill. Watch the tires as he goes past. Slow and steady. Note the jump between cross links.

Bravo30

I wouldn't touch them. one inch clearance is plenty if the chains are tight.
Altho relying on a rubber tarp strap to keep them tight is not my idea of secure.
Those look more like a tractor tire chain than a truck tire chain.
And they look too small for those tires.

The chains are Pewag Brenta-C. The self tension system you see in the picture is their design, I didn’t add anything. The box they came in says they’ll fit my tires and I ordered them directly from Pewag and they said they fit as well. With that being said, they do look a bit small but they weren’t tightened or anything. I just put them on in a parking lot.

Alloy

I run both heavy V bar and the light duty chains like you have.

Advantage of the light duty is fast/easy install. The worse scenario is needing (not being able to stop) chains but not having them on because was too much work to put them on.

Play around with the chains to see if you can get a better fit around the tires.

Instead of trimming the wheel wells use star chain tensioners or bunji cords. The faster you go the more tension you'll need.

Last edited:

pith helmet

Chains are only meant for like under 20mph.... they are going to slip between the cross links and that big gap where you added the red chain will be the weak link. Steep mountain grade, the tire will accelerate and when the next link grabs....

No movement til 30 seconds but this is his fourth run at the hill. Watch the tires as he goes past. Slow and steady. Note the jump between cross links.

Off topic but as someone who works in the logging industry, that video makes me think of how little some know about the skilled people and the risks they take to make it happen for the rest of us…and certainly not just in our industry but many others.

billiebob

The chains are Pewag Brenta-C. The self tension system you see in the picture is their design, I didn’t add anything. The box they came in says they’ll fit my tires and I ordered them directly from Pewag and they said they fit as well. With that being said, they do look a bit small but they weren’t tightened or anything. I just put them on in a parking lot.
Went and watched the video. They are a cool product, I just dislike the big gap between the crosslinks at the short red chain. As others have said, light duty chains have their place and if you are not stressing them they might work well. Me, when I chain up I don't want to have them fail if conditions get worse which seems pretty normal during a winter storm.

I always have a pair of chains in the Jeep but add a second pair for the front axle when I go further afield and more remote. Some of my work takes me to back country heli ski and snow cat skiing lodges. For those trips I also carry chains for the trailer.

ps if you need chains you should also have a shovel

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Chains are only meant for like under 20mph.... [/MEDIA]

Uh... Says WHO??

Sorry, but most of the PNW run chains at double that speed on hard pack roads.
Tractor trailers, pickups, mommas station wagon.... doesnt matter.
While 20MPH is safer, with properly installed and tensioned chains a much higher speed is a-okay.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
OP, if you want great chains that are easy to install and tension tight enough to not worry about body damage, I say go for a good set of cam-style chains.
You can get them tight enough with just the cams that running bungees are not even needed. They are great insurance, but are not needed if the chains are installed correctly.

These are the chains I run on all of our full size rigs.
Nothing fancy, dont even have "ice breakers" but they are sturdy, cam-style, and they have never let me down.
They are our fail-safe for off the pavement travel in mud and deep snow.
4sd gets us in, and sometimes the chains are needed to get out.

billiebob

Uh... Says WHO??

Tractor trailers, pickups, mommas station wagon.... doesnt matter.
While 20MPH is safer, with properly installed and tensioned chains a much higher speed is a-okay.
We all have different definitions of safe but 40 years around heavy equipment, logging trucks, plow trucks, 20mph is the conservative side of safety. No one I know hits 40mph chained up. What is yer "much higher speed" ???? a number would help.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I already told ya'

You said less than 20mph
I said double that ;)

Which is far more realistic than a 20MPH (or less) max limit.
From what Ive seen, most chain MFGs for cars and light trucks recommend a 30-40MPH max limit.

Last edited:

billiebob

Uh... Says WHO??

quoted, not my words....

SNOW CHAINS AND SPEED
The National Park Service When restrictions are in force, their maximum speed limit is 25 mph.

Reputable snow chain manufacturers tell you not to exceed 30 mph.

me, I use 20mph cuz if I can do 30mph there is no need for chains

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles