How heavy is your Adventure Trailer?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Adventure Trailers Chaser #15 :26_7_2:

On the return trip from the 2007 Expedition Trophy Miles and I stopped and weight the trailer and the Jeep JK. We unhooked the Chaser #15 to get an accurate reading. The results, 5360 pounds for the JK and 1920 pounds for the Chaser #15. Now that sounded heavy, but it pulls just fine behind the Jeep. The pluses on the trailer far out weight the negatives.

47b7ce39b3127ccebe40390917c800000026108EatWzFu0cO

2007 Expedition Trophy

Willman

Martyn said:
Truth be told, I'm l a bit surprised that the weight issues came up. When we first starting in the business back in 2001 it was everyone's concern. "My vehicle can't tow that" was right up there with "That will never go over the Rubicon". Well the Rubicon was easy to disprove, we just did it.

Then over the past 7 years we have been actively educating people about the towing capacities of their vehicles, and how a good balance between tires size and gearing is critical when towing off road. Almost all the people who have off road towing problems have lifted their vehicles, fitted larger tires, and never re geared. When you add a trailer to that mix the results are not good.

But despite the additional weight a small trailer being towed on the highway reduces your fuel consumption less than adding a roof rack. If you drive a Wrangler or Rubicon a Chaser almost triples your storage capacity. If you are going on expedition it will provision four people in one vehicle instead of four people in two vehicles.

What is a trailer for? Basically increasing cargo capacity, and cargo means weight. If you didn't need all of the things in and on the trailer you wouldn't be towing one.

So you could decide to pack everything you need into the back of your SUV and add about 500 lbs to the vehicle, stress the suspension and reduce interior space. Or you could tow a trailer weighing 1500 lbs, but it is only applying 150-225 lbs of load to the rear of the vehicle.

The biggest blessing is the small conveniences a trailer brings to expeditions and weekends in the outback, things like a soft bed, cold drinks, fresh food, shade, and safari reclining chairs to name a few.

But as you can see I have had seven years to think about this.

Amen!!!!

:rockon:

:bowdown:

I'll be done with my Bantam this spring......I'll take her to the scales......She'll be right their with AT trailers!!!:cow:

Flat sceen tv with the Honda generator....oh ya.....I got Brad bet this trophy!!!!!...lol:D

Steve Curren

Explorer
I have used the walls and I like having an extra room, I also have taken some nursery shade and made walls from it. I like the fact that you can have shade and if the wind picks up it will pretty much flow through and not want to take it for a ride.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Gear said:
Adventure Trailers Chaser #15 :26_7_2:

On the return trip from the 2007 Expedition Trophy Miles and I stopped and weight the trailer and the Jeep JK. We unhooked the Chaser #15 to get an accurate reading. The results, 5360 pounds for the JK and 1920 pounds for the Chaser #15. Now that sounded heavy, but it pulls just fine behind the Jeep. The pluses on the trailer far out weight the negatives.

47b7ce39b3127ccebe40390917c800000026108EatWzFu0cO

2007 Expedition Trophy

Justin

That's impressive, your trailer must be full of all the cans of exotic foods that Miles likes to eat.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
GSBfree wrote "Doe anyone have experience with pulling their trailer with a 4 cylinder TJ?"

No, I have the 6 cyclinder, but if you had the right gears I think it would be doable.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Martyn,

that 700 pounds.....what is that? Trailer ready to drag down the road, less *options* (RTT, water, spare tire, etc)?

If so, bergger must have a LOT more camping gear than I do.

Including fridge and beer, I seriously doubt I put more than 150 pounds of camping gear in my jeep (obviously, this doesn't take into account the safety and recovery gear that lives there).

I'm actually kind of loath to the idea of a trailer (for me). But I just don't see another option to travel with 2 people + dogs in a wrangler.

Bergger

Explorer
goodtimes said:
Martyn,

that 700 pounds.....what is that? Trailer ready to drag down the road, less *options* (RTT, water, spare tire, etc)?

Of course I can't confirm this, Martyn or Mario hopefully will, but I'm pretty sure the 700lbs is just the frame and cargo tub and axle. Everything else extra, wheels/tires, cargo box lid, water tank, nose box etc.

Martyn

Bergger said:
Of course I can't confirm this, Martyn or Mario hopefully will, but I'm pretty sure the 700lbs is just the frame and cargo tub and axle. Everything else extra, wheels/tires, cargo box lid, water tank, nose box etc.

The tires and rims were included in the original weighing of the Chaser base trailer.

There seem to be various ways of weighing trailers around the world and owners are always amazed that that their 1500 lb trailer really weighs 2500 lbs. So we weighed everything across the scale and drove it to get there.

Martyn

goodtimes said:
Martyn,

If so, bergger must have a LOT more camping gear than I do.

Including fridge and beer, I seriously doubt I put more than 150 pounds of camping gear in my jeep (obviously, this doesn't take into account the safety and recovery gear that lives there).

I'm actually kind of loath to the idea of a trailer (for me). But I just don't see another option to travel with 2 people + dogs in a wrangler.

Three important things I've learned;

Trailers are like backpacks, they are always full.

Weight is under estimated.

Trailers are overloaded.

You have obviously maxed out the 17 cubic ft of space in the Wrangler so a trailer would be the option to a bigger vehicle. The down fall of the trailer is it's like a back pack and when you have extra room things you left behind before now become essential. Especially items that make your wilderness experience more comfortable.

I know none of us hardened travelers every though "softness" would enter our lives, but when I'm on the trail it looks like some crazy grommet chef, who enjoys way too much beer and wine has been let loose. Not to mention I can't sleep without the comforter and the feather pillows. And I haven't said anything about the inflatable windsurfer.

stick

Adventurer
I just had my 1966 M416 weighed two weeks ago. It weighed in at 640 pounds empty. However it did have a little snow and ice in the bed, so right around 600 pounds is pretty accurate for an empty, stock M416. I think the military data plate actually says 530 pounds.

jagular7

Adventurer
GSBfree said:
Doe anyone have experience with pulling their trailer with a 4 cylinder TJ?

I have some experience. I have a 97 auto/4cyl (2.5l) TJ with 4.88s, lockers and 34" LTBs. It was a slug by itself without manually shifting the trans to get the umph of higher rpm. The trans would only shift at 3500-4000 with foot to the floor. I manually shift at 52-5300 as that about where the torque drowns out and peak hp in at 4800.
As for pulling any weight, shortwheel base vehicles don't like a lot of weight away from it. Keep it close with a good length tongue. I mostly towed a TD probably weighing at 1100#s total travel weight. I on occasion pull a utility trailer with the Jeep empty and it weighs 650#s empty.

I recently purchased a M101 and will let you know how the Jeep pulls it empty. Its 1250#s empty.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Martyn said:
Three important things I've learned;

Trailers are like backpacks, they are always full.

Weight is under estimated.

Trailers are overloaded.

You have obviously maxed out the 17 cubic ft of space in the Wrangler so a trailer would be the option to a bigger vehicle. The down fall of the trailer is it's like a back pack and when you have extra room things you left behind before now become essential. Especially items that make your wilderness experience more comfortable.

I know none of us hardened travelers every though "softness" would enter our lives, but when I'm on the trail it looks like some crazy grommet chef, who enjoys way too much beer and wine has been let loose. Not to mention I can't sleep without the comforter and the feather pillows. And I haven't said anything about the inflatable windsurfer.

Actually, I am about 15 ft^3, packed for a week for 2 people. Everything is about level with the bottom of the rear windows. Problem is, there is not enough room for both the dogs and the g/f.

Oh, my backpack is rarely full either. I go in with an average of ~35 pounds (including water), for the typical 3 day/2 night trip. My fat :shakin: doesn't like carrying more that that.

So, back on topic, the Chaser rolls down the road in bare trim at ~700 pounds, is that what I am hearing? That sounds much better than what the first post sounded like....

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
stick said:
I just had my 1966 M416 weighed two weeks ago. It weighed in at 640 pounds empty. However it did have a little snow and ice in the bed, so right around 600 pounds is pretty accurate for an empty, stock M416. I think the military data plate actually says 530 pounds.

Here is the military data plate for the M416A. It shows 670 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior