How important is it to get an access cab Tundra instead of a Crewmax to carry a pop up camper?

dole

I’m shopping for a used second gen tundra to put an FWC type pop-up camper in the bed of full time. Of course I’m looking for a “access“ cab 6.5’ bed (I know Toyota likes to call that the crew cab, and call the crew cab the crewmax but that’s so stupid) but those are very few and far between in the used market, especially now. Everybody these days likes big rear seats to fit more babies and groceries, so there are a lot more used options in that trim. My question is, for carrying a pop-up camper how important is that extra foot of the bed length really? Will it be dangerous to have a camper hanging out onto a folded down tailgate from a 5.5’ bed? I will be doing all kinds of driving in the rig from highway to forest roads.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Shouldn't be an issue with the truck, it's you that's driving, let your
Conscious be your guide on how aggressive you will be. When you break
Something you'll know you were too aggressive.

Flyelk1

I have the access cab with an Alu Cabin on it. My buddy has a Crewmax with a pop up camper. Just from a usable space perspective, the difference is substantial! If that’s your intent, there is no way I would move to a Crewmax.

billiebob

I’m shopping for a used second gen tundra to put an FWC type pop-up camper in the bed of full time. Of course I’m looking for a “access“ cab 6.5’ bed (I know Toyota likes to call that the crew cab, and call the crew cab the crewmax but that’s so stupid) but those are very few and far between in the used market, especially now. Everybody these days likes big rear seats to fit more babies and groceries, so there are a lot more used options in that trim. My question is, for carrying a pop-up camper how important is that extra foot of the bed length really? Will it be dangerous to have a camper hanging out onto a folded down tailgate from a 5.5’ bed? I will be doing all kinds of driving in the rig from highway to forest roads.
not sure why this happens but rear overhang can be deadly...
nintchdbpict000299482002.jpg

thumb_rahmen1_574.jpg

8932757f6ce74d7e7f495a883839e91b.jpg

Depending on where you are travelling I'd consider a 250/350 series big three truck with a 8' box.

billiebob

and....
FB_IMG_1616791702765-1.jpeg

Nothing is more important than weight distribution.

As a basic.... If you scale the truck empty and after fully loaded and the FWC adds weight to the front axle.... maybe you are good to go. BUT if fully loaded the front axle is lighter than it was empty.... IE the FWC is not in the box.... Definitely do not do it.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The longer the box the more weight of the truck camper is carried by the front axle.(a good thing.
With the short boxes the COG (center of gravity) ends up directly over the rear axle, or even behind it. This doesn’t put any weight of the camper on the front axle. It makes the rear axle carry all the load. This might put you over your rear axle rating, or tire weight rating.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ehh he's fabbing up stuff because it doesn't exist and then putting it out there for others if they need it. If he wants to charge a few bucks for all the R&D then what's the harm in that? You can buy a 3D printer for like $250 and if you have a lot of custom work then it could be worth it. I've read this entire thread and I read it as him doing it for himself not necessarily to make a ton of money off of it.
and....
View attachment 740105

Nothing is more important than weight distribution.

As a basic.... If you scale the truck empty and after fully loaded and the FWC adds weight to the front axle.... maybe you are good to go. BUT if fully loaded the front axle is lighter than it was empty.... IE the FWC is not in the box.... Definitely do not do it.

It’s interesting that all the photos are of compact trucks. Tundras are definitely stronger trucks, but any truck can be overloaded, as well as loaded incorrectly in a way that results in a frame failure.

I was looking at pop-ups for my crewmax but anything that would be an appropriate weight was too bare bones. We spend a lot of time in our camper, and an indoor toilet and shower is a must. We don’t need a giant bath, but we do need one. A 4 Wheel Hawk would be the right weight, but a Hallmark Ute is what I’d really like.

In the end, we decided on a small “offroad” trailer. It’s pretty low profile, and gives us the ability to drop it as a basecamp in order to explore without packing up the “house” every time.

If you want a Tundra and a truck camper, I would definitely look for the 6.5’ box.

86scotty

Cynic
Great info @redthies. As a Crewmax owner who really loves my truck I have found the hunt for a FWC/pop up camper problematic as well.

The physics have been discussed above but let's not forget availability. If you are buying new and waiting the 10 years or whatever it is now to get one then you are set but if shopping in the used market there are 10x more 6.5' campers available than 5.5's at any moment.

Also, the 1' of space in the camper/in the bed doesn't seem like much but I have never once heard anyone say it isn't a huge difference. @Flyelk1 reminded us already above.

Personally, I'm still on the hunt for a 5.5' FWC camper that isn't $25k+ and isn't on the west coast. I've been looking for about a year. They sell very fast so be ready if that's what you decide to pursue.

Bigly

Wannabe
Dole... I have a '21 access cab TRD Off Road with less than 7k mules in Cement color that I am looking at selling (depending on getting a replacement). LOVE the truck but it's just too big for me and what I need. Has an ARE shell and a full BedRug which you probably would not care about. Came from a couple of other Tundras like '05 and '04 and those are fine size wise. Might look at finding one of those...

Am waiting on a Tacoma that wasn't spoken for and should be here at the end of next week. Put a deposit on that and will drive it to see if it will work for me or not. Never driven new gen Tacos so not sure I will buy it and maybe look at the Ranger.

Price will be high just like the market is right now or I wouldn't even be considering the swap. Free and clear CO title.

dstefan

Yeah I do consider getting an F250. Just that reliability.. I would always be anxious when taking it far out into the wilderness
I did the same, thinking about a FWC, but went with the access cabTundra (Toyota, confusingly, calls it a double cab) for that very reason plus cheaper to buy and build as well as more nimble offroad with 5 foot smaller turning diameter and IFS.

Went with a topper type poptop (Ovrlnd) to keep weight down and far more interior room without stuff I didn't want built in. No way I’d want it on a 5.5’ bed. Very happy with the combo. Still have lots of back seat room too (there’s just two of us).

dole

Dole... I have a '21 access cab TRD Off Road with less than 7k mules in Cement color that I am looking at selling (depending on getting a replacement). LOVE the truck but it's just too big for me and what I need. Has an ARE shell and a full BedRug which you probably would not care about. Came from a couple of other Tundras like '05 and '04 and those are fine size wise. Might look at finding one of those...

Am waiting on a Tacoma that wasn't spoken for and should be here at the end of next week. Put a deposit on that and will drive it to see if it will work for me or not. Never driven new gen Tacos so not sure I will buy it and maybe look at the Ranger.

Price will be high just like the market is right now or I wouldn't even be considering the swap. Free and clear CO title.

How much would you want? I’m just next door in Utah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior