How important is rear fan control - Gen 3

2to4wheels

Adventurer
I've been on my never-ending quest (seams like!) for a Gen 3 and I just ran across a very intriguing 2003 Limited but noticed it seems to be one of the few with our rear A/C controls. So 1) how big of a deal is not having it knowing that I'll have kids back there and 2) if it is important can it be added at a reasonable price/effort?

Thanks

KyleT

Explorer
Having one that has it and seeing all the lines that run to the back right of the car I would not recommend trying to add it. I'm sure it could be done but not easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
One less thing to have to delete at some point. The rear condenser gets crushed even with mild wheeling also I never remember I have rear AC and the kids never complain (in Az summer)

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Interesting, first "Limited" I've heard of that didn't have separate rear A/C. Seems it was always part of the Premium package, included power passenger seat, auto climate control etc, so I guess you could get a limited without premium package?

I sure like mine, read somewhere else here that another owner here really liked keeping the dogs freezing in the back with the A/C, while he was comfortable in the front (Summer use of course). There's a fair amount of glass back there, thinking of a greenhouse...

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
It is one of the rare non-premium Limited. Manual passenger seat and no rear air.

My Monty is also one of these models.
No complaints from the kids or the dog...as stated above, just one less thing to break or delete in the future.

MontyMcV

Observer
Having one that has it and seeing all the lines that run to the back right of the car I would not recommend trying to add it. I'm sure it could be done but not easily.

We have it on our 2003. The hard lines that pipe the hot water are made of $hit metal. I say that as ours just let go. Everything else underneath looks great. They just aren't the same caliber as Mitsu's other hard lines for some reason. That is not the real point though. To the question/comment and retrofitting, these hardlines are ~5 hours labor per the books. There are four bolts that hold them, and two you can't get to. The gas tank has to come out for one. And I don't know what has to come out for the rear pass side axle/suspension.

I ended up using 1/2" heater hoses to repipe ourse...

KyleT

Explorer
Rust? Mine look good on both the 03 and 06. The plastic tee exploded on the 06 though and dumped all the coolant

earljuic3

Adventurer
I replaced the Ts with straight fittings and just kept the AC in the back since my hard lines were also toast. I am going to end up deleting it all once I can find someone local to fab me a rear bumper.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I would live to have an 03 Limited with no rear air. As posted here it if the lines or "T" fittings go you lose all coolant. If you are going offroad this is a good set up. I frequently run front air only and it is fine.

MontyMcV

Observer
Rust? Mine look good on both the 03 and 06. The plastic tee exploded on the 06 though and dumped all the coolant.

I didn't notice the plastic tee(s?). I assume these are at the back of the engine, where the hoses seem to visibly tee and head to the back? Looks like a PITA to fix after a fail. I need to do a bunch of 60k service to hers. And while the miles are low, the years aren't. Plus, prior to our getting it ~5 years ago, it was in FL since new. I plan on replacing all hoses and anything else rubber when I to the 60k work. Think I'll get some brass tees to put in. Hers is the family hauling trips to the cottage rig. So no off-roading, and keeping the rear HVAC is desirable. Thanks for the heads up on the tees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior