How important is tire availability?

day7a1

I'm looking into some new tires for my Jeep Liberty. I've pretty much narrowed it down to one brand and model (mostly due to limited size availability, but they are well regarded tires anyway), but I'm having trouble deciding on the size.

Tire SizeService DescriptionUTQGLoad RangeMeasured Rim WidthSection WidthOverall DiameterTread WidthMax LoadTread Depth (1/32")RoomSize Delta
235/65R17104T600 A BSTD79.429.177.64198412.5-0.750.00
235/75R17109T560 A BSTD6.59.330.756.85227114-0.430.79
245/70R17110T560 A BSTD79.730.477.72233713.5-0.050.65
LT245/70R17119\116SE79.830.557.87300016.50.080.69

Stock size and current model is the top.

The 235/75R17 are my preference with one exception. If I needed a "second spare" I'd likely have to wait a few days to get it. On the other hand, I've never known that to be a problem for anyone travelling in the US. Flip side of that is that "I've never known" is a useless statement, especially coming from me!

The 245/70R17 are a bit shorter, an inch wider, MAY require MINOR modification, but maybe I could walk into any store in the US and walk out with 5 of them (maybe not same brand, but as long as I can get close it will get you home, right? Maybe? No?)

What are the thoughts of those with more experience?

day7a1

All this data is for the Cooper AT3, except for the stock which is for the HTP. Comes straight from Cooper website.

Good points, but already taken care of. :ylsmoke:

Though, if anyone can find tread width for the Nitto Grapplers in 235/75R17 it would be helpful. Nitto has section width and diameter, but not tread width. Also seems to be a popular tire that comes in that size.

Of course, TONS of options in 245/70...

1stDeuce

Explorer
So long as you believe that Jeeps take 5 tires when you buy new, you shouldn't need to worry about availability. Rotate the spare in and you get an extra 20% mileage out of the set.

If you do cut one down bad enough that it can't be plugged, you can always pickup up a used tire in a close size. Seems there is a "Llantas Usadas" sign just about everywhere I go these days...
Plus, I wouldn't think any of the AT3 sizes are going away anytime soon. :)

As for size, I can tell you that the 235/75R16's that we put on the wife's '05 Liberty were TIGHT, and lightly rubbed the inner fender in front of the tire when turned. I was lifted ~3/4".
Hmm. So much for AT/3 sizes not going away... Cooper no longer lists the 235/75R16 on their site... But TreadDepot does... Looks like the the 235/75R17 is almost exactly an inch taller, which is a half inch all around. Rubbing will be worse if you are running wheels with less backspacing than factory... More lift will help, but only if you never get to anything rougher than the Applebee's parking lot...
FYI, I had renegade wheels on hers, which have the least backspacing of the Liberty wheels.

Good Luck!!
Chris

anickode

Adventurer
If you're traveling within the US, and don't mind waiting a day or 2 for exact replacements should you happen to destroy 2, then I wouldn't worry too much about availability.

What I wouldn't do is stick tires that just barely fit on there, because if you have to buy a non-matching replacement to get out of a jam, that's not the time you want to find out that X brand fits and Y brand rubs everywhere.

day7a1

I don't see the 235/75R17 going completely away since it's a stock size for some F-150s. Regardless of any opinions about that truck you can't deny that they sell a lot of them. But AT vs. HT may be the issue there. Who knows? Certainly not me.
I have a lift that is 2.5" over stock. Probably should have mentioned that. The 235/75's will have more room than the stock ones did before the lift! Of course, it's easy to get more room than zero...:yikes: I'll go over it all again with a ruler but it appears that the combo of tread width and diameter actually will cause less chance rubbing on the air dam and pinch weld than the more common size (which naturally uses a different wheel.) The clearance I measured is without any of the common mods.

If you're traveling within the US, and don't mind waiting a day or 2 for exact replacements should you happen to destroy 2, then I wouldn't worry too much about availability.

What I wouldn't do is stick tires that just barely fit on there, because if you have to buy a non-matching replacement to get out of a jam, that's not the time you want to find out that X brand fits and Y brand rubs everywhere.

This is a good point....let's take a look...

***Jeopardy Music***

Nitto...no tread width info that I could find.
Hankook....7.3 x 672 rev/mi (Tirerack)
Firestone...7.3 x 674
Goodyear...7.0 x 677
BFG..........7.2 x 674
Bridgestne.7.0 x 675
Cooper......6.9 x 656* Calculated from diameter. 675 if and only if the "revs per mile" count is miles in inches divided by diameter of tire without any tread depth....which seems reasonable given it makes all the numbers look pretty, but may not be true...?

I feel like I'm focusing on the wrong thing here...can't seem to place it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
nevermind. It's silly for you and others to be chasing such minutia in a tire class size. If your clearances are THAT tight, you need to step down a size or increase your suspension clearance. It's asinine to stuff a tire in there that only clears by a few millimeters. ESPECIALLY in an off-road vehicle.

day7a1

nevermind. It's silly for you and others to be chasing such minutia in a tire class size. If your clearances are THAT tight, you need to step down a size or increase your suspension clearance. It's asinine to stuff a tire in there that only clears by a few millimeters. ESPECIALLY in an off-road vehicle.

:iagree:

I guess I'm easily distracted. ALL these will fit with room to spare. That is not my question. This is not a "will this fit" thread.

My question is should I go with my preferred tire or is that tire's lack of easy availability going to be an issue. I've seen it mentioned as a factor...but maybe they're talking about REALLY rare sizes or international travel.

I called around San Diego and there was one shop that had that size in stock, and then only in one brand. If I need it NOW, I would be able to get it...in a big city, but then I'd have to replace that new tire with the correct brand later. Of course, that may be an issue with the AT3 also. It's not listed as "in stock" at Discount Tire or Sears.

Would I realistically ever need it NOW? Sounds like most are saying it's not that big of an issue, as long as I have the good sense to have a full size spare. Thanks!

anickode

Adventurer

Thats kind of what I was getting at.

When travelling within most of north America, you can generally get an exact replacement within a couple days, or a same-size-different-brand replacement the same day. You shouldn't cut tour clearance so close that a different brand of tire in the same size doesn't fit.

That said, if your local big tire store doesn't stock a particular oddball size tire in ANY brand, and has to order whatever brand you choose, you're pretty much guaranteed that Hank's Garage-n-grocery in Sticksville USA isn't going to have one on the rack either.

day7a1

That said, if your local big tire store doesn't stock a particular oddball size tire in ANY brand, and has to order whatever brand you choose, you're pretty much guaranteed that Hank's Garage-n-grocery in Sticksville USA isn't going to have one on the rack either.

Yep...hence my question. I can get some sort of 245/70R17 anywhere, but only one place in San Diego has any 235/75R17 in stock. The chances that I can even get a different brand replacement in Sticksville seem pretty slim. No "off-brand" tires have the size and I doubt Doug 'n Earls Local Tires For Less is going to have a wide assortment of Goodyears in inventory.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think you'll find that most places don't "stock" a lot of tires... They order what they have orders for. So if you choose a REALLY common size, you may find them in stock, but for most sizes, or most tire shops, they don't have huge inventory...

I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over running a non-stocked tire. You have a spare, so you're not likely to need one NOW ever. If you somehow did find yourself on a trip with two completely destroyed tires, and and no local shops have an exact match in a new tire, they're certain to have a used tire that will let you finish your trip, or get to the next big tire store that can order two tires in and have them waiting.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The single best performance mod is the right tire. Buy those odd size tires. When was the last time anybody needed two tires in such a hurry? It's not like you can't buy two used or two new different sized cheap tires to get you to work on Monday if you can't find them instantly.

smlobx

Wanderer
Or if your being that anal about it you could just buy 6 tires and strap the spare tire onto your roof....

day7a1

So after 6 weeks it's time for an update!

Went to Discount Tire today and ordered 5 Hankook Dynapro ATMs in P235/75R17. They paid me $160 for the 4 remaining good half dead tires that I had. They also had $75 rebate for Labor Day, $60 rebate for being stupid enough to use the company credit card (0% interest until I pay it off, then the % won't matter!), and Hankook is sending $50 back right now too. All in all not a bad deal for an upgrade, considering that I needed a new spare anyways.

tommudd

Explorer
So after 6 weeks it's time for an update!

Went to Discount Tire today and ordered 5 Hankook Dynapro ATMs in P235/75R17. They paid me $160 for the 4 remaining good half dead tires that I had. They also had $75 rebate for Labor Day, $60 rebate for being stupid enough to use the company credit card (0% interest until I pay it off, then the % won't matter!), and Hankook is sending $50 back right now too. All in all not a bad deal for an upgrade, considering that I needed a new spare anyways.

Good size with the 2.5 inch OME lift on there , should do a great job for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online