How long is too long at the dealer for repair

jasonsuperb

Observer
The local Mitsubishi dealer has had my montero for 2.5 weeks at this point for a water pump/timing belt, tranny flush, front brake and valve gasket job.

I had set up an appointment so it’s not like I just dropped by and left it. I realize it’s a decent amount of work but this is getting insane. They also couldn’t give me a loaner car because they said they were all out. Not sure what to do next. I’ve been calling every other day or so after 1 week passed but clearly not getting anywhere.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasmtis

That is way too long. It's a decent list of work that would take a shade tree mechanic a few weeks but none of that is anything super unusual or invasive that should take a professional shop more than a day or two.

I've never personally had to deal with something like this so I don't have a ton of advice on how you could handle it but showing up in person would probably be a good move. A phone call is much easier to ignore than a disgruntled customer in the front office.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Timing belt job is about 4 hours if you know what you are doing and don't dwaddle around

Canyonero

I don't have any real advice either but the dealer here in Denver just did that same work on my 95 SR and it took 2 days. And they did a great job. Show up and yell!

jasonsuperb

Observer
That is way too long. It's a decent list of work that would take a shade tree mechanic a few weeks but none of that is anything super unusual or invasive that should take a professional shop more than a day or two.

I've never personally had to deal with something like this so I don't have a ton of advice on how you could handle it but showing up in person would probably be a good move. A phone call is much easier to ignore than a disgruntled customer in the front office.

The closest Mitsubishi dealer to me is close to an hour and a half away so showing up isn’t really practical. I was also expecting just a few days. They just admitted to me the head mechanic who is doing the job keeps getting pulled away to work on other things. Seems unusual and also starting and stopping mid job seems like leaving much more room for error. I own a bicycle shop and do all the repairs myself. I always do them in the order they are dropped off. Seems like the professional way to do it.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Based on the going rate for dealer mechanic work , you could buy a new car for the same as this bill.

jasonsuperb

Observer
Based on the going rate for dealer mechanic work , you could buy a new car for the same as this bill.

I was assuming they were going to stick to their price quote. Otherwise you’d probably be right!

HMSEndeavour

Tranny flush takes maybe 30-45 mins and water belt and timing pump should be 1 day tops. If your car is in the shop after 2.5 weeks, they probably havent touched it yet.

offthepath

Adventurer
I bet the hood as not even been opened, or they messed something up and are buying time. Go down and insist on seeing the car. If nothing has been done, drive it home. If it's apart I would take pictures of the progress and tell them you'll be back the following day and it needs to be finished.

Edit, re-reading I see your a few hours away. I'd still show up and if anything was fishy, I'd be prepared to tow it out of the shop.

That is absurd. Sorry

Last edited:

jasonsuperb

Observer
Call up Mitsubishi motors USA and complain, this is ridiculous time frame for the work to be done.

I called Mitsubishi motors and they weren’t very helpful. Told me the names of the general and service managers at the shop and to just talk to them.
The general manager is out golfing and the service manager is now looking into it. I’ll be driving down tomorrow am to see what’s up one way or the other.
I was also worried they messed something up and are buying time trying to fix it. I really hope that’s not true.

jasonsuperb

Observer
The saga continues. After calling at the end of last week they said they wouldn’t have it done till Monday so I said I’ll be down to get it then. I called this morning and they said they did everything except put the inspection sticker on ( which expired at the end of may, more than two weeks after I dropped it off) because the turn signals, squirts, and high beams don’t work. I was baffled because all of those items worked when I dropped it off, but they tried to assure me that nothing they did could have caused them to stop working. I promptly drove down because enough is enough.

Just to fill in the backstory when I dropped it off I said. If it needs anything else let me know and I’ll most likely do it since it’s already there. They called me back the day after I dropped it off and this is when the brakes and valve cover gaskets were added to the list. So you’d think they would mention these other items that they say were wrong before at that point.

Anyway. I go down and am clearly upset and confused. The service manager takes a nice chunk off my bill but has no idea why these issues could have popped up and in the 4 hours since we talked in the morning nothing has been done to fix it that I can tell. But it’s now illegal to drive due to no inspection sticker and he doesn’t know how to fix it. I end up having to leave the car, I haven’t paid yet, and they are going to try to diagnose this new problem tomorrow.

Insanity.

jasonsuperb

Observer
Did you see the car? Was anything actually done in the first place?

You soukd have taken it and risked a ticket.

I did see the car. And work had been done. Hard to tell about the timing belt / pump since they are hidden. But the rotors were new and the valve covers looked cleaner.

If I had taken it I would have had to pay and had a new problem I’d have to figure out myself or pay another shop to fix.

Screwed either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles