How many miles is "too many" for an LR3

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Found an lr3 locally for $6000. Minimal pics/details but has a Baja rack and Johnson rods. Seller says it has 168k on the odometer and I was just curious for the more varied land rover owners than myself, how many miles is too many for an lr3? I know the LR3 is regarded as being pretty solid but at that mileage,how many more years of service will I have left and what kind of things would need to be looked at/replaced?

Here's the ad if you'd like a look:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5967873330.html

bentonrover

Observer
Wow he dropped it 10 grand? Non close up pics always worried me in ads. But to answer your question its nothing seeing early ones with 200 plus on them. Granted all the known issues would have been taking care of by then. Like any rover check for records. Tons of these on the open market. Good luck

ColoDisco

Explorer
My 05 is at 173k and counting. I have been replacing a lot of known wear items, otherwise it has been amazing.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Mileage is fine. Have a local independent shop inspect it, see why it REALLY has depreciated so much. If there isn't anything too wrong with it, give the man his money and drive away.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I was looking at an LR4 in the fall, dealer offered me $3000 on trade-in. Decided against it. Truck is worth more than that.

NASDIESEL

I'm at a 166K on an '06 I bought 5K miles ago. Salt truck for me but the thing runs fantastic. Couple small issues but nothing major.

Exploder
The heater not working on one side is the heater core. A tech buddy told me that it is a bear to replace.

Last edited:

ColoDisco

Explorer
It is a process, pulling the dash and heater box but not horrible. I have done 3 Range Rover sports and a LR3. LR3 was the easiest.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I'm trying to get some more information from the guy but it's proving to be difficult. May not be a bad deal, I might just swing by and check it out.

spikemd

Explorer
A buddy sold his lr3 with 240k miles with just regular items replaced recently. Engine and tyranny were strong. I have 135k on our 2006. Typical bushings, thermostat housing, door lock, and regular maintenance so far. Bought it with 83k 3 years ago. With price dropping that low, I can't think of a better, more capable stock vehicle.

I am good friends with Jim, the shop manager at LR Rocklin. Call him up to bring it by for an inspection. Though I do most of my maintenance, LR Rocklin is the only dealership I have met that you can trust.

2008, just turned 89,000 and running strong! :wings: I'll let you know if I make it to anywhere near what these other owners have made!:smiley_drive:

morrisdl

Adventurer
Some days 126K feels like too many miles...but I recently tightened up the expo rack, replaced the LCA, and new tires. Squeaks are all gone and drives as good as new. :-D

rcharrette

Adventurer
We are at a cross roads with our 08'LR3. It has 170K miles on it and runs great, trans and engine are strong but the Parking brake is out ($$$$$) and the check engine light is on. Had both diagnosed at LR and the parking brake is about a $2K repair and they said I need new cat's for the check engine light (which I find hard to believe). Cat's are another $1200.00 plus. We travel in it full time and put on a TON of miles so I'm concerned we could quickly end up putting $5 - $10K into it in the next year or so if something else goes out and then we are out the cash and will still need a new truck. Option two is to sell/trade it in on a low mileage used LR4 but we sure enjoy not having a car payment right now :)
Decisions, decisions..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94