How many of us bring dutch oven along?

6x6pinz

Adventurer
far to committed to cast iron ovens to change now, regardless of any benefits. I do not have or know anyone with AL DO experience. I guess my friends are like me and not willing to change at this point.

Joanne

Adventurer
I have seriously considered purchasing a couple of aluminum ovens just to see how they are to cook with compared to cast iron. I love my iron but I'm always willing to give something new a try. If weight or potential rust issues are a consideration, then aluminum would be ideal. I can see where they might be nice if you are planning a canoe trip or might be camping in rainy conditions. I've had my ovens rust on rainy and snowy trips. I try to keep them under cover but sometimes rain plus wind equals rust. :)

As others have pointed out, iron has some advantages with even heat distribution and heat retention. That said, I wouldn't turn down some hot, buttery biscuits just because they came out of an aluminum oven.

Joanne

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Are you 100% confident that you have a good seasoning on your cast iron pieces? Even just giving them a quick rub with cooking oil will help prevent that.

I would suggest using mineral oil. Vegetable oil or animal fats will turn rancid with time. Mineral oil won't. We used a light coating of mineral oil after cleaning all our cast iron for the past 15 years on our chuck wagon. It is rust free.

Joanne

Adventurer
I would suggest using mineral oil. Vegetable oil or animal fats will turn rancid with time. Mineral oil won't. We used a light coating of mineral oil after cleaning all our cast iron for the past 15 years on our chuck wagon. It is rust free.

Always dreamed of owning a chuckwagon. I just don't have the time, space, or money to invest in one. Do you compete in chuckwagon events, catering, or use it on a ranch? For those of us who love outdoor cooking there's something special about the sight of a chuckwagon.

Joanne

6x6pinz

Adventurer
for me the dream is to get a surplus military kitchen trailer. I have bid on a few of the smaller ones just never seem to be able to get them. chuckwagons are great and the competitions are amazing places to pick up tips.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've always wanted to try seasoning new cast iron with flax oil, its got a really low smoke point so it will give you your carbon build up fastest.

kickingprop

Observer
x2 on flax seed oil.

I stripped and reseasoned all of my grandmothers old Wagner cast iron I inherited about a year ago. Had to do it while the wife was out of town because the smell was so bad, but 6 thin coats of flaxseed oil later, they are all smooth as glass and have held up to everything I have cooked on them!

dblosch

Adventurer
May have to try Flaxseed oil... I've used peanut oil in the past based on the suggestion that its higher smoking point than vegetable oil is a good thing. (over 400 vs 225 or so)... Any truth to that?

Dan

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You actually want the lower smoke point so that it burns everything off and leaves the nice jet black nonstick carbon coating on the iron. Pretty much any food grade oil or fat will work, some are better than others is all. My usual go-to is plain ol' olive oil because its cheap and has a fairly low smoke point, but I did strip a small pan I found at a garage sale down to bare metal once and seasoned it with 100% bacon grease.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Always dreamed of owning a chuckwagon. I just don't have the time, space, or money to invest in one. Do you compete in chuckwagon events, catering, or use it on a ranch? For those of us who love outdoor cooking there's something special about the sight of a chuckwagon.

Joanne

I did competition cooking for about 15 years. Also special events, some catering, trail rides, and hunting camps. Also got to teach chuck wagon cooking one summer in Germany. Help a friend on his wagon every now and then but I am mostly retired now. Check out americanchuckwagon.org to find an event near you. Lots of fun and good folks.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
May have to try Flaxseed oil... I've used peanut oil in the past based on the suggestion that its higher smoking point than vegetable oil is a good thing. (over 400 vs 225 or so)... Any truth to that?

Dan
I don't go that high in temperature for it to matter. Doing what I do for a living, I'm looking more at the chemical nature of the oil, the open carbon double-bonds.
I use flax for iron and sesame for steel.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I meant real steel, steel that stains. My wok.
But the stainless too.

Olive oil isn't on my "good oil" list due to a few reasons.
Some are listed here.
More here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94