How many times have you been stranded in a G-wagen?

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
Well, let's see what's being dug up:smiley_drive:

For me: just once - ran out out of gas in front of my house.

Must have been those complex electronics - in my head:coffee:

zimm

Expedition Leader
never been stranded in either... but...

i went out of my to buy a pre 2002 after reading about difficulties with the 02-03 years, and not being willing to trash an 04 for the going rate.

in retrospect maybe id search longer and harder for an 02-03 that had all the proper service done so i could the v8 and 5 speed.... then again the 3.2 is fine power wise and 4 speed is more serviceable, and i like the older interiors better...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
never been stranded in either... but...

i went out of my to buy a pre 2002 after reading about difficulties with the 02-03 years, and not being willing to trash an 04 for the going rate.

in retrospect maybe id search longer and harder for an 02-03 that had all the proper service done so i could the v8 and 5 speed.... then again the 3.2 is fine power wise and 4 speed is more serviceable, and i like the older interiors better...
Yeah I LOVE those old interiors... I'm sure the newer versions are very comfy and definatly luxurious, but I vastly prefer the old utilitarian interiors and the plunger style Locker switches... I think. Not like I own one or anything. I just really loved what I saw/felt in the old style interiors.

Cheers

DAve

Devin W

Observer
Never

I posted this on my for sale thread:

"Coming from my many years of Land Rover ownership I drove around with 30 pounds of tools in the back of the G for about a year. Now all I carry is a rain jacket."

The G has never put me in a compromising situation and eventually I started treating it like a "car" -- just get in and drive and not even think about it which was a new experience for me. My '03 has been bullet proof, but one of my friends is a 20+ year MB tech and he helped me do some background on the vehicles I was looking at and what issues to treat with priority. It seems like a lot of the issues that those model years ('02-'03) had have been resolved through TSB's and regular warranty / service work if the vehicle was properly cared for.

None of my Land Rovers ever stranded me, but that was only out of preparedness (being ready to pull drive shafts, take apart hubs, seat springs, spare coolant, spare oil, jumper cables...etc.). I may have had to drive a ways with a drive shaft removed and the center diff locked, but I got home. The funny thing is I still loved them, too.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Yeah I LOVE those old interiors... I'm sure the newer versions are very comfy and definatly luxurious, but I vastly prefer the old utilitarian interiors and the plunger style Locker switches... I think. Not like I own one or anything. I just really loved what I saw/felt in the old style interiors.

Cheers

DAve

see, i like the old 460's with the plungers too, and i may convert my 463 to those some day.

the interior im talking about looks like a early 90's sedan. sorta nice, with the high quality switches. i hate nav screens. to me they loose functionality and will look out of place in 10 years, like the oem phone in a 20 yo 750il.

keep the truck functions simple and and keep the higher technology flexible (i.e. removable with your laptop)

burquedoka

Adventurer
Only once in a parking lot for a few minutes when the TPS on my 2000 G500 started showing it's ugly side. Fortunately, the list of potential problem parts to carry spares of is short, and I had the spare sensor on hand. I do say this though as I am knocking on wood. Oh yeah, one other time down in Baja when my transfer case unknowingly popped into neutral while enjoying a reenactment of the Baja 1000 with Karl. Again, thank you Karl for shedding a fresh set of eyes on the matter and alerting me to my over sight. :victory:

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
ive been officially stranded. piece of **** shoulda been able to take that impact...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
see, i like the old 460's with the plungers too, and i may convert my 463 to those some day.

the interior im talking about looks like a early 90's sedan. sorta nice, with the high quality switches. i hate nav screens. to me they loose functionality and will look out of place in 10 years, like the oem phone in a 20 yo 750il.

keep the truck functions simple and and keep the higher technology flexible (i.e. removable with your laptop)
AHHH I see... Yeah the interior I'm talking about is the old style with the Checkered seats and the Plunger style Lockers. I guess there was a middle gen-interior that I'm not as familliar with. I hear ya on the Nav-screen/dashes... It reminds me of something my mom said to me once: "keep it classic and simple, and you'll never go out of style." I think the same apply's to vehicle interiors.

So Zimm, what exactly did you hit??? Tell us more about this "Impact" eh... Hope you AND the truck are OK.

Cheers

Dave

I guess I have been stranded on account of something breaking in the G only once.

I been left unable to start by ordinary means once.
When turning the ignition key, a little piece of metal broke off that is suposed to make the switch turn. To activate the startermotor there is a slight springloading, so it could not overcome that. Preheat and oil light came on, to it was just a matter of push starting the truck and all was fine. It's a manual transmision and non-eletronic OM602 diesel engine so unless a disaster strikes I can allways get going.

I have been stranded, unable to get out of a ugly situation by own power once, but that was 100% my own fault.
Misjudging the flow of current and twice the waterdepth I expected, we attempted to make a rivercrossing on Iceland. Unlike the 50+ streams we had crossed in the previous 3 weeks, the current dug deep holes in the riverbottom and we hit one of them.
Got tossed on the right side (where snorkel is located) so fast I did not have time to shut off the engine. Hydrolocked the engine, conrod no. 1 got bent in a S shape.
Fair amount of sheetmetal damage, needing new fender, A panel, front and rear door.
We needed a bit of assistance to drag the truck out of the river and transporting it the 2000 km home. That was a dumb driver moment and no fault of the truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne