How much heat does a gas range generate ""BELOW"" it?

presh223

Hi All,

Weird question I know, but I am in the process of trying to maximize the efficiency of my camper and am considering relocating the range top elsewhere to provide for an additional seating area. Specifically, I would like to install the range in a shallow cubby directly above the ice box unit. Naturally, my question arises out of the fear that I melt my ice premature from residual heat. Does anyone know how much heat, if any, a range produces "below" it. Check out some photo's for where I intend to install the range. My thoughts are that things are too spread out in these trailers, rendering many spaces unused, and because this specific camper is equipped with the bed lift storage, I have plenty of space for things there. I understand I will need to relocate the heater as well and am trying to figure that one out. I want to do all of this to try and fashion a corner "computer station", etc. This camper isn't solely intended for the wilderness, but while there, I doubt I will bring electronics. I desire to prepare it for situations in which I may choose to live in it briefly. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

photo 4.JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'd say, not much since heat rises. Looks like your stove is like mine in my Northstar. There's a metal box under the burners. Light the stove and check the temperature of the metal with an infrared thermometer on the underside.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I'd say, not much since heat rises. Looks like your stove is like mine in my Northstar. There's a metal box under the burners. Light the stove and check the temperature of the metal with an infrared thermometer on the underside.
Check the temp with a large pot of boiling water or a flaming hot cast iron pan. Those will radiate a lot more heat down than just an open flame.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Directly below my Northstar stove is a plastic tote that we keep paper plates,napkins,and an assortment of cooking utensils. No evidence in 13 yrs of any heat damage and I've boiled a lot of spaghetti. That cubby is a essential asset for us. We installed dividers and keep a whole assortment of goodies in there.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Not an answer, but maybe a different solution: Have you all looked at those sink/stove combos with the flush counter lid? Might be easier to plumb.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Directly below my Northstar stove is a plastic tote that we keep paper plates,napkins,and an assortment of cooking utensils. No evidence in 13 yrs of any heat damage and I've boiled a lot of spaghetti. That cubby is a essential asset for us. We installed dividers and keep a whole assortment of goodies in there.
i have a similar situation with a drawer full of stuff immediately that never gets hot under the one-burner Princess cooktop in the XV-JP. Also had no problem with a nice two-burner Dickinson in the Sprinter. I think you're good to go.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not an answer, but maybe a different solution: Have you all looked at those sink/stove combos with the flush counter lid? Might be easier to plumb.

The SMEV or Dometic units. I used them in my camper and really appreciate their utility, the good looks do not hurt either.

Camelfilter

Explorer
The SMEV or Dometic units. I used them in my camper and really appreciate their utility, the good looks do not hurt either.

Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking about. If I was to go Pop-up, I'd like one. I suppose I could do a mini-kitchen inside my Flippac, but I don't need one...yet.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
i have a similar situation with a drawer full of stuff immediately that never gets hot under the one-burner Princess cooktop in the XV-JP. Also had no problem with a nice two-burner Dickinson in the Sprinter. I think you're good to go.
Good pt. our silverware drawer is directly below and no issues even with the foam anti slip stuff on the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94