How should I deck this trailer?

BCHauler

Adventurer
Hi, I have an old travel trailer frame that I would like to deck so that I can use it. As of right now I am not entirely certain what its primary purpose will be, but as it is now, its only purpose is redneck lawn art.
014.jpg
016.jpg
017.jpg
015.jpg

The trailer originally had 2 2x3s running the length of the deck with plywood over the whole thing, supported by the frame rails and the two boards. Of course, as a travel trailer, the flooring wasn't designed to hold much weight at any given spot, so I'm not sure that design would work as a utility trailer. Also the trailer was originally about 3' longer with a very heavy steel square tube bumper that I cutoff and (unfortunately) recycled a long time ago.

The axle is a 3500lb 4" drop axle and is reversible to a 4" lift. I don't have a welder and do not know how to weld. I am trying to put very little money into this trailer.

I would potentially like to be able to put my 8' slide-in camper on the trailer. Or mount our camperette on it. Or ...? Like I said I don't have a clear vision for it right now. But it is build it or dispose of it time.

My questions is: How would you deck this trailer?

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
It could be a good trailer with some work.
Decked is tough with C channel sides unless you weld a strip of metal across the frame to bolt to.
Expanded metal is cheap and fast or go with plastic decking.

A sheet of aluminum diamond plate is light and covers fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier