How to carry more fuel?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have had about 3 deals fall through on an extended fuel tank for my 80 series. (Okay, one actually was wise and decided to keep it :) )

I wouldn't mind external can carriers, but my roof is totally consumed by the roof tent. My rear tire carrier can't handle the weight.

Thoughts?

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
4.88's first :shakin:

hang tight and I'm sure you'll come across a 44gal aux tank. Your time will come!

KMR

Adventurer
Extended fuel tanks are too much money, so I am just going to put a diesel in and get double the range.

That will be cost effective. :eek:

wd40

I carry mine on the bumper...

th_IMG_0571.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/warfin/Sunflower/IMG_0571.jpg

Except when I need to use the headlights... :)

dd113

Observer
I read a lot about the 80 series extended tanks and I really wonder how much of the OEM sub tank is a "bling" factor. Sure, it is a nice set up if you really need it , but it is almost impossible to get and costs a pile of money. I am going for a 15 gallon RV style off the shelf tank plumbed into the main tank with a fuel pump. I will cut an additional filler neck with an OEM filler bucket and door. If the entire comtraptions costs $200 I will be suprised.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
dd113 said:
I really wonder how much of the OEM sub tank is a "bling" factor.

About 90%

The OEM subtank costs huge money, is a giant PITA to install, requires tons of super rare parts, and for what? An additional 12 gallons?

No Thanks! :D

My .02

Last edited:

KMR

Adventurer
dd113 said:
I am going for a 15 gallon RV style off the shelf tank plumbed into the main tank with a fuel pump. I will cut an additional filler neck with an OEM filler bucket and door. If the entire comtraptions costs $200 I will be suprised.

Where/how are you going to mount it?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
The filler neck and breather lines and the small ECU to cut out xfer pump sounds like the most costly solution. Pray, what exactly are you thinking? :)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Dont know what your budget is.. but last i checked(last week) Manafre stil had a 24 gallon tank that goes for $800 bucks and comes with everything you need. This is the route i'll go when i fill like dropping come coin again. Its about half the size of the 44 gallon long ranger. It's not listed on their site.

dd113

Observer
KMR said:
Where/how are you going to mount it?
I found a few flatish fuel cells that i will mount where the baby spare used to ride then scab on a skid plate. I need to figure out a filler neck but I have seen some Dodge truck dbl necks that might be finagled into the stock filler opening.

Diesel Joe

Observer
I emailed Opposite Locke in Australia and ended up buying a 190 liter (50 gallon) main tank for my HZJ 60 land cruiser. Shes big and very well built. It cost as much to ship it as it did to buy it!

Here she is with the rear wheel off.

picture.JPG

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Worth it for me...

The subtank on my 80 carries an additional 25.5 gallons. On my trips the extra range is needed and welcome. I don't have to plan the trip around fuel concerns.

Brian894x4

Explorer
I tried to get MAF's 24 gallon tank last week, but someone else got it. They only had one left and Steve was checking to see if they were actually going to take it. After numerous calls checking back in, it appears that it did sell. Darn it!

But more will come in....someday.

In the meantime, I'm in the same boat. I don't think the stock tank will be enough, but I have no rear tire carrier or roof rack so niether option will work for me.

The only thing left is interior storage using fuel cans. Not the best plan, but it's what I do in a pinch. The best sealing fuel cans I've ever used are the Wedco nato cans. They are airtight, don't leak and I've never detected a single bit of vapor.

The next best thing about the Wedco nato cans is the different sizes. You can get them in 2.5 gallon and 1.25 gallon sizes. I have all three sizes, but now leave the 5 gallon ones home. The 2.5 gallon cans are small enough to be able to fit in different nooks and crannies and it's much easier to fill holding a 15lb can, than it is a large 30lb 5 gallon can.

The 1.25 gallon cans are neat, but considering my 80 burns that up in about 15 miles, they're kind of not worth the hassle. But if you need a really small, really sturdy can, that's an option.

One word of warning...you don't want to leave the gas cans in the vehicle in the heat of summer during extremely hot weather. I found a 2.5 gallon ballooned in the back of my CRX. I can only imagine the pressure that the can was under to cause that. But it is a testimate the can's strength and the fact that it will not vent anything into the interior..short of exploding...of course.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior