How to clean the top of an awning

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
It is the second season that I've been using my Alu-Cab Shadow Awning and I love it. Certainly the best money I've spent on my rig (after the RTT). While putting it away this morning I noticed that it is beginning to accumulate a bit of tree sap and other sticky crap on the top of the awning. I think I'd better get it clean before it gets much worse or causes damage to the awning (or rot).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a chemical or solution that would make quick work of it?

Thanks.

shade

It is the second season that I've been using my Alu-Cab Shadow Awning and I love it. Certainly the best money I've spent on my rig (after the RTT). While putting it away this morning I noticed that it is beginning to accumulate a bit of tree sap and other sticky crap on the top of the awning. I think I'd better get it clean before it gets much worse or causes damage to the awning (or rot).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a chemical or solution that would make quick work of it?

Thanks.
I didn't find anything on OK4WD's or Alu-Cab's sites.

Ordinarily, I'd go with a 303 cleaner & protectant, which has worked very well on my Softopper and other things. In this case, I'd contact OK4WD or Alu-Cab and ask them directly. I doubt the fabric needs anything special, but you never know, and it'd be a shame to delaminate it.

Scoutman

Explorer
Agreed with Shade, contact @rino for advise. I haven't needed to clean mine other than the bag which gets a big funky over time. I use a combination of simple green and some soft top cleaner we had for a Jeep with pretty good results. I hear the 303 stuff is pretty good too but haven't tried it yet.

Not meaning to sidetrack the thread but has anyone had to lubricate the zipper on the awning bag? Mine's getting dry from exposure and I'm afraid it's going to start having some issues. It may just be time for a new bag.

It's still hands down my favorite piece of gear on my rig, even over the tent.

shade

Agreed with Shade, contact @rino for advise. I haven't needed to clean mine other than the bag which gets a big funky over time. I use a combination of simple green and some soft top cleaner we had for a Jeep with pretty good results. I hear the 303 stuff is pretty good too but haven't tried it yet.

Not meaning to sidetrack the thread but has anyone had to lubricate the zipper on the awning bag? Mine's getting dry from exposure and I'm afraid it's going to start having some issues. It may just be time for a new bag.

On my RTT, I've had luck with cleaning the zipper well and using a hard, paraffin based lube. In the field, if the zipper acts up, I've used a little hand sanitizing gel to get it going. It helps clean the zipper and doesn't leave any residue.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I'd imagine that the tree sap would become the foundation allowing a protective crust to build over time. Its the basis of why I never wash my adventure vehicle hypothesis.

greg.potter

Adventurer

Over the past 40 years I have used paraffin wax to lubricate zippers on mountaineering tents and outdoor equipment. You can buy in bars in most large grocery stores (it is used for sealing canning jars). You can also buy purpose specific zipper lubricant at outdoor retailers like MEC in Canada and REI in the US.

frans

Adventurer
this may sound odd but the spray for spraying on your dust mop or feather duster works great. I think the last brand I used was called EndDust.
Also works for those annoying folding/sliding ladders. Anything with sliding metal parts that you don't want a sticky residue on to act as a magnet for dirt.
Works perfect for sliding patio doors also

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider

Thanks.

............... In this case, I'd contact OK4WD or Alu-Cab and ask them directly.........
Best advice, IMHO.

I would be more concerned with the zipper on your awning cover than cleaning the top of your awning. Mine is getting some spots from pitch, I think. Whatever chemicals or cleaner that Alu Cab suggests, cleaning the fabric without removing it, is not going to be fun, at all. But that long zipper is contantly bombarded by dust and road debris. It keeps the elements off the awning while being transported and if it fails, the awning will be exposed to all the crap that the cover is keeping out.

this may sound odd but the spray for spraying on your dust mop or feather duster works great. I think the last brand I used was called EndDust.
Also works for those annoying folding/sliding ladders. Anything with sliding metal parts that you don't want a sticky residue on to act as a magnet for dirt.
Works perfect for sliding patio doors also
What EndDust does is reduce static electricity, which does help keep dirt from clinging, but doesn't do a lot for lubing which is what longer, exposed zippers badly need on a periodic basis and sometimes immediately when extreme conditions hit unannounced. Paraffin wax would be excellent for lubing, but the excess wax would allow small debris (like sand) to imbed and make a gritty residue - not as bad as a liquid lube, like WD40 - but same principal. I've used a silicone lube spray with some success. When it dries, there is no residue. It just doesn't last, and I don't think anything would in that environment . But, I'll use WD40 in a pinch, when caught off guard - just to get it lubed in the field and wipe off the excess before getting under way again. If it gets doused with mud, I'd clean it off as much as possible with water - spray if possible, than lube it with whatever you have before unzipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94