How to inflate a tyre QUICKLY.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Inflating a tyre with a a can of "Aerostart". In OZ we call it "Start Ya Bastard" . True it's even on the label but it's the same product. Don't try this at home. It's crazy. Thanks to Doug Hackney for helping me to get the vid onto youtube and then ExPo.
Click here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jhEVxoFwqo

kerry

Expedition Leader
Used that technique out in the street in front of my house to seat the bead on one of my Fuso tires a few weeks ago. Really impressed the neighbors who were skeptics.

motomech

Adventurer
Certainly impressive. Is the hissing after the explosion a blown out stem valve?

Thats just the air rushing through the valve stem. You take out the core of the stem so you can inflate the tire faster. After the bead is set and the fire is out the tire tries to contract and sometimes can break the bead again so, you need to get air in there fast so it doesnt happen.

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I was skeptical of this technique myself, but I successfully used some brake cleaner and carefully applied flame to re-seat the bead of my 35" Toyo M/T -- worked great actually, though I'm not sure it's exactly the safest way to go...

There have been discussions of this topic fairly recently on Benzworld and Pirate. The method I use for 395/85R20s:
Place a 20" bicycle tube between outer bead and rim flange, inflate till contact made between bead and flange. Tire should not be touching ground - best on hub in the air, or on a cylindrical stand. Make sure bike tube is lubricated with straight detergent. Then inflate tire to 3-4 psi and rapidly pull bike tube out, preferably while passing air into tire rapidly. Bead should seat.
I've done it successfully twice.
This avoids the neccesity for rapid, poorly controlled redox reactions. The pressure wave from a blast incidentally might not be good for a CTIS system.

Charlie

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I have used this for many years and it works good. I use ether and a short blast, less then they showed. This is also dependent on the tire size. I do not remove the valve when I do it. The most I have done was 4 tires in a row when I rescued some stranded girls.

Frenchie,

Do you use Aerostart, brake cleaner or some other flammable aerosol? I won't even ask about the stranded girls. :costumed-smiley-007

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
what is Aerostart? ether or something else equally flammable?
SYB.jpg

12husky

Adventurer
I have used ether on my swampers and it works well once you get the right amount (start small). One thing to beware of is that the ether will degrade the rubber over time making it 'gummy'. On my trail rig with swampers I'm not as worried about it, but I would only do it on the 4runner as a temporary trail-fix.

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Thats just the air rushing through the valve stem. You take out the core of the stem so you can inflate the tire faster. After the bead is set and the fire is out the tire tries to contract and sometimes can break the bead again so, you need to get air in there fast so it doesnt happen.

Is it difficult to re-install the stem core when the air is rushing out like that? I'm guessing not, since it's threaded, but again, have never used this method.

thanks,
-Nadir

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Is it difficult to re-install the stem core when the air is rushing out like that? I'm guessing not, since it's threaded, but again, have never used this method.

thanks,
-Nadir

The removal of the core is to simply allow the air back in as was stated however it does not mean the bead will come back off. Then once the bead is on the rim, you can replace the core at your leasure and re-inflate the tire.

HTH

michaelgroves

Explorer
I have used ether on my swampers and it works well once you get the right amount (start small). One thing to beware of is that the ether will degrade the rubber over time making it 'gummy'. On my trail rig with swampers I'm not as worried about it, but I would only do it on the 4runner as a temporary trail-fix.

That's true, but it's not like you'd have to use it that often - it's just when you need to reseat the bead in an emergency. Perhaps 10 to 20 seconds exposure per occasion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior