How to secure the 5-gal water tank on the rear passenger footwell?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I find that the best place to carry the 5gal Scepter water can is on the rear passenger footwell. It's low (CoG), has just enough room for the can laying flat and is just forward of the rear axle. However, I haven't yet figured out a way to secure it in case of a crash/rollover etc. Before I rip the carpeting up to see if there's a way to install a couple of hooks for ratchet straps etc I'm curious if anyone else has done something similar?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well I think I have an idea- I'll run a length of steel bar between the seat bolts to use as anchor points for the ratchet strap. Might have to replace the bolts with longer ones. Worth a shot.

Dazrin

Adventurer
A couple pics of the area might help kick-start some thoughts. Can you put something around the anchor points? What do the sill plates look like? Is there a convenient place to attach some footmans loops for webbing? One strap in each direction should hold it down ok if kept tight. How do the rears fold? Etc. Do you need to have a platform on top of it to prevent it being trampled? I know my girls would love to use it as a step and a trampoline. If walking directly on it is ok, maybe a solid piece of reinforced canvas over it and attached to ??? Solid to prevent snag hazards and little feet.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the ideas, I'd have to pull the carpeting up to make the pics worthwhile. Footmans loops are a good idea but I'm trying to avoid having to drill holes into the floor. If I can utilize the seat bolts I'd prefer that.

I just thought I'd ask to see if someone had done something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz