How to Waterproof a Nylon Tent Fly?

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm looking for some front line advice here. What have you used with success on nylon rain flys?

Does this mean in response you don't just want a bunch of weblinks to the most expensive products available? No advice here but I am subscribed.

:coffeedrink:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Does this mean in response you don't just want a bunch of weblinks to the most expensive products available? No advice here but I am subscribed.

:coffeedrink:
:coffeedrink: <a toast>

Yes. So glad you understand! I know it's asking a lot to scrap the armchair advice, but we'll all be better off for it. :)

phatman

Observer
well unfortunately they rain flies are originally silicon impregnated. this not something you can do yourself, and the sprays on rei are either to protect that silicon or they made for breathable clothing and won't make a truly waterproof layer. i haven't looked at all the west marine stuff so i don't know if they have something.

the fact of the matter is you need the rain fly to work or it will make your trip miserable. i wouldn't rely on a spray. i suggest calling the company who made the tent and see about a reasonably priced replacement rain fly. another option is to make a new one. there are places that sell silicon nylon.

the only other advise i can give is to ask this same question on a backpacking forum; there tents are far more expensive and they may know another way.

If you had an old tent rain fly that no longer shed water very well, what waterproofing product would you use?

I have used this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Spray-Water-Proofing/dp/B000HJ7CLY/ref=pd_sim_sg_1"]http://http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Spray-Water-Proofing/dp/B000HJ7CLY/ref=pd_sim_sg_1[/ame]

It works for me. It's cheap so even if you have to reapply each year.....no big deal.

Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Spray-Water-Proofing/product-reviews/B000HJ7CLY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have had great success with the “Tent and Gear” Solarproof/waterproof spray from Nikwax. My tents are old; A'Sage teepee tent built in Girdwood, AK and a Dana Designs tent from the late 90s. Every few years they get the Nikwax treatment. This has worked well for me 20+ days a year in the temperate Alaskan rainforest summer and winter.

articulate

Expedition Leader
well unfortunately they rain flies are originally silicon impregnated. this not something you can do yourself . . .

the only other advise i can give is to ask this same question on a backpacking forum; there tents are far more expensive and they may know another way.
Interesting.

I didn't think that this would be important, but maybe it is. I'm looking at my Hannibal roof tent that has a nylon fly of some type, and a large privacy room made of the same material I believe; replacing these is not in the cards. I have just a few sections of both that are not repelling the water very well, and I'll be damned if I didn't have to camp in the rain two out of the last three trips so I'd like to do a little maintenance. I'll pose the question to Hannibal, but I'd figure someone must have some more insight.

I assumed re-treating your nylon fly and other things like a jacket/shell would be common.

AutoHome does post this about their tents:
http://www.autohomeus.com/info/care.php said:
To restore [water repellancy], use 303 Products' High Tech Fabric Guard according to directions. Let dry thoroughly, then rinse the tent again and let dry in open air.

High Tech Fabric Guard is not a silicone based product, but solvent based.

Before going further, I think I'm better off inquiring to Hannibal.

articulate

Expedition Leader
A'Sage teepee tent built in Girdwood, AK.
Crazy, you have an A'Sage teepee? Old family friends were involved in that company. Small world.

Okay, the Nikwax and Kiwi stuff - I'm not opposed to reapplication once or twice a year, given that I like to have worry free tent time when it's dumping down.
Edit: Funny, the Camp Spray Kiwi stuff comes in a can that's suspiciously identical to Scotchguard.

Thanks for the replies.

I have used Camp-Dry, and another brand whose name I'm blanking on, on outerwear and shoes. I have been pleased with the results. My concern with these two products on a tent fly is that they seem to start to fail first at the folds and where the cloth rubs against itself. On jackets and shoes it is roughly an annual application to keep them protected. Based on the smell (do coat things outside!) I'll venture that it is a silicone based product.

I have used this same product but the problem is, it seems that I have to do this every year to keep the waterproofing.

Subscribed

Kevin

articulate

Expedition Leader
Nikwax TX direct
Thanks Martyn; a no frills, direct-to-the-point answer :)

Right about the time you were typing that I was at the gear shop buying a can of Tectron Gear Water Repellent. The reviews on the web spike all over the place for both Nikwax and Tectron. For every 3 that love one, another 3 hate it.

I'm going to buy some Nikwax too and see how this all plays out.

The most common negative comment (for both) was that the product wears off - and I'm thinking, "Well, duh, yeah."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles