How would you outfit this custom LJ?

homebrwd

I already love LJs but your handywork has made it exponentially better. I have always liked checking out your threads about the custom top designs. Been following your JK stuff now as well, and as always I am very impressed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I already love LJs but your handywork has made it exponentially better. I have always liked checking out your threads about the custom top designs. Been following your JK stuff now as well, and as always I am very impressed.

Thank you very much :).

BTW stay tuned to this thread - here's what I'm working on now for the LJ Safari, I haven't posted here about it yet...

MonitorMounted_zpsq4b6bjdu.jpg

It's a trail camera system - there are 3 cameras, one viewing each front wheel, and one viewing the ground directly in front of the Jeep. It can show all three cameras on the screen at the same time (actually supports 4), and has "triggers" to make it easy for one camera to be displayed full screen quickly when needed. I'll post details as I finish the installation.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been testing a trail camera system that a company is thinking about bringing to market. It supports 4 cameras, the monitor supports multiple views, including all 4 camera on the screen at the same time, and it's got a feature called "triggers", which you can wire into the Jeep to cause particular cameras to be displayed full screen when needed.

I've got three cameras installed for an initial test, one on each side mirror, and one underneath on the skid plate. The cameras are very small and light, and can be mounted multiple ways, including with magnets. I'm using clamp-on mounts on the side mirrors, here's a close-up on my salt-encrusted Jeep:

MirrorMount3_zpsnk6lspyl.jpg

The triggers are connected to the turn signal circuits and the high beam circuit - flicking the left turn signal causes the monitor to display the left camera full screen for a configurable period of time; the right turn signal does the right camera and a quick flick of the high beams does the skid plate camera.

Here's a quick "driveway test" video:

I'll be giving the system a thorough test in a few weeks on the trails at Easter Jeep Safari.

jeepster1407

Observer
That's awesome! I've had a few items in my amazon cart for a while now to try something like this myself. I'm glad that there's potential for one to be released instead.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! I've had a few items in my amazon cart for a while now to try something like this myself. I'm glad that there's potential for one to be released instead.

There are lots of ways to buy the bits and pieces necessary to assemble a trail camera system like this, but the idea here is to make it a complete, simple package that anyone could install. This project started out with this list of requirements:

- Affordable.
- Support for up to 4 cameras.
- Small, lightweight cameras that are easy to mount without hacks - no zip-tying cameras in place or drilling holes required.
- Advanced features that simplify trail driving, like the triggers that let you switch cameras without taking your hands off the wheel.
- Ability to remove the cameras when off the trail and they're not needed for everyday driving without having to remove most of the wiring or undo installation details.
- Easy wiring - again no hacks allowed, everything should integrate easily with the Jeep.
- Additional camera and monitor options to accommodate special requirements.
- Clear step-by-step documentation so any Jeeper can successfully install the system in an afternoon.

It looks like all those requirements are going to be met with this system. I'm looking forward to getting it out on the trail at EJS.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
jscherb

I am very interested in the Low Profile Commando top. Any chance we will every see it?
It would be a fun project to do, and I'd like to do it someday. Molds exist for more than half of the parts already, all that's needed is the roof mold, a mold for the rear panel and hatch. And it would be really cool to build a TJ Hurst/Commando using the Commando Kit I made for the TJ a couple of years ago.

CommandoKitH6_zpsdf245e37.jpg

LPCommando1.jpg

But all 3 of my Jeeps already have custom hardtops that I like, so I don't have a Jeep to turn into a Commando, and I don't think the company that's licensed the Safari Cab is interested in doing the Commando version, so for now anyway, I don't have plans to build it. Maybe someday though.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
There are lots of ways to buy the bits and pieces necessary to assemble a trail camera system like this, but the idea here is to make it a complete, simple package that anyone could install. This project started out with this list of requirements:

- Affordable.
- Support for up to 4 cameras.
- Small, lightweight cameras that are easy to mount without hacks - no zip-tying cameras in place or drilling holes required.
- Advanced features that simplify trail driving, like the triggers that let you switch cameras without taking your hands off the wheel.
- Ability to remove the cameras when off the trail and they're not needed for everyday driving without having to remove most of the wiring or undo installation details.
- Easy wiring - again no hacks allowed, everything should integrate easily with the Jeep.
- Additional camera and monitor options to accommodate special requirements.
- Clear step-by-step documentation so any Jeeper can successfully install the system in an afternoon.

It looks like all those requirements are going to be met with this system. I'm looking forward to getting it out on the trail at EJS.

I'd actually like a permanent setup like that. The 4th camera would be a backup unit but on all the time. If it could be saved via loop (to a flash drive or external HD) like a dash cam then it would be perfect.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'd actually like a permanent setup like that. The 4th camera would be a backup unit but on all the time. If it could be saved via loop (to a flash drive or external HD) like a dash cam then it would be perfect.

The system (now called TrailVision) does have an integrated DVR, and records the active camera (or cameras) to an SD card. Here's a video taken while negotiating around a boulder on a shelf trail in Colorado. Between the boulder and the drop off the edge was maybe a foot wider than the Jeep, so I was switching cameras to make sure I wasn't going off the edge or scraping on the boulder.

It's really changed my trail driving - I can tackle more difficult trails now because I've got a very accurate view of obstacles. I won't do a trail without it anymore.

Since I posted about it so long ago, it's become a product; it's available in a number of configurations and options. Here's a view of the cover of the box (photo taken in the Moab area), I've blurred out the company name because this isn't a commercial thread.

TrailVisionBoxBlur_zpsndxmdqkb.jpg

SGNellett

Adventurer
It would be a fun project to do, and I'd like to do it someday. Molds exist for more than half of the parts already, all that's needed is the roof mold, a mold for the rear panel and hatch. And it would be really cool to build a TJ Hurst/Commando using the Commando Kit I made for the TJ a couple of years ago.

CommandoKitH6_zpsdf245e37.jpg

LPCommando1.jpg

But all 3 of my Jeeps already have custom hardtops that I like, so I don't have a Jeep to turn into a Commando, and I don't think the company that's licensed the Safari Cab is interested in doing the Commando version, so for now anyway, I don't have plans to build it. Maybe someday though.

If you need a donor TJ to build and test a Commando top for, mine might be available....

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I too would love to loan you mine for the full Commando kit. (I think that would be the only way I could give up my soft top haha) I wouldn't mind learning some rudimentary fiberglass skills too, if you don't mind me getting in the way :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I too would love to loan you mine for the full Commando kit. (I think that would be the only way I could give up my soft top haha) I wouldn't mind learning some rudimentary fiberglass skills too, if you don't mind me getting in the way :)

That's how this guy got a barn door for his JK... he wanted a barn door and wanted to learn fiberglass, so I taught him what he needed to know and he did 90% of the work under my supervision using my molds in my garage. In this photo he's doing fiberglass lay up.

TomAtWork_zps54bc9250.jpg

In this photo he's test-fitting his not-yet-complete barn too to his 2014 JKU:

LateModelFit2_zps33df056c.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
That's really cool that you taught that guy! I've always thought it would be handy to have a wide variety of skills. Not to be a master of all things, just a basic understanding of how to do stuff. I'm decent at woodworking (and by that I mean I've helped my dad build decks and metal roofing structures, although I did spend a significant time on my senior project turning a practice chanter for bagpipes), my little brother taught me to weld, (hoping to improve on that over the summer) but I've never tried fiberglass before. It is definitely something I would like to learn. Using a little of my brothers welding supplies is a little different though, (I would think) I wouldn't want to waste your time or resources unnecessarily, especially something like a Commando kit, that sounds like a significant time drain when I'm sure you have other projects you'd like to see come to life too. Don't get me wrong though, that would totally be awesome, the Commando front end and cab project has always been one of my favorites of yours. I have a tj though, that might ruin some of the lines as I see your renderings are for an lj. I have a soft top right now also, so that could complicate something smaller like a barn door to learn on?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste