How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's really cool that you taught that guy! I've always thought it would be handy to have a wide variety of skills. Not to be a master of all things, just a basic understanding of how to do stuff. I'm decent at woodworking (and by that I mean I've helped my dad build decks and metal roofing structures, although I did spend a significant time on my senior project turning a practice chanter for bagpipes), my little brother taught me to weld, (hoping to improve on that over the summer) but I've never tried fiberglass before. It is definitely something I would like to learn. Using a little of my brothers welding supplies is a little different though, (I would think) I wouldn't want to waste your time or resources unnecessarily, especially something like a Commando kit, that sounds like a significant time drain when I'm sure you have other projects you'd like to see come to life too. Don't get me wrong though, that would totally be awesome, the Commando front end and cab project has always been one of my favorites of yours. I have a tj though, that might ruin some of the lines as I see your renderings are for an lj. I have a soft top right now also, so that could complicate something smaller like a barn door to learn on?

I do think the Commando hardtop would look best with the extra length of the LJ, that's how long the original Commandos were. Woudn't look bad on a TJ, just probably would look better on an LJ.

Yes, doing a custom hardtop in fiberglass is a "significant time drain" :).

I have done a barn door for the factory TJ/LJ soft top, but it's not fiberglass...

SoftBarnDoorDone6.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I found one of your renderings for the tj Commando cab, looks pretty good. Not as proportional as the lj, but pretty sweet. I think you mentioned that what made the Commando cab special was the removable roof panels too, am I remembering correctly?
"Significant time drain" sounds unfavorable I suppose :) Sounds like the Commando front clip would be too in that case. What about something like the Willys inspired flatfenders? Would that be more feasible? Those are sweet especially if not going for the Commando theme. I'd still have to get them painted though(unless I just did black) Either way that's an awful long drive from NC. I might check back later with you after I figure out summer classes if you'd be willing to share some of your knowledge.
I like that soft top barn door, but I just bought a brand new soft top, so unless I bought a donor rear window to cut up......something to think about in the winter for sure, I have to go through the passenger door to access things in the back because the back window ices, this would solve that.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I found one of your renderings for the tj Commando cab, looks pretty good. Not as proportional as the lj, but pretty sweet. I think you mentioned that what made the Commando cab special was the removable roof panels too, am I remembering correctly?
Yes, I designed the Commando roof in sections so one or more sections can be removed for an open-air experience.

"Significant time drain" sounds unfavorable I suppose :) Sounds like the Commando front clip would be too in that case. What about something like the Willys inspired flatfenders? Would that be more feasible? Those are sweet especially if not going for the Commando theme. I'd still have to get them painted though(unless I just did black) Either way that's an awful long drive from NC. I might check back later with you after I figure out summer classes if you'd be willing to share some of your knowledge.

Fiberglass is fairly labor-intensive, so even a simple part will take a number of hours to mold. Prepping the mold with wax and mold release takes a minimum of an hour (elapsed time, not all of that time is labor), then shooting the gelcoat takes several hours (again, elapsed time - gelcoat takes only minutes to shoot but several hours to cure before the fiberglass layup can begin), then fiberglass layup (time depends on the size, complexity and strength required of the part), then allowing everything to cure overnight. Next morning pop it out of the mold and trim the part, that also depends on the complexity of the part. So even a simple part becomes a 24-hour elapsed time project even though it might only be 2 hours or less actual labor.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
It would be a fun project to do, and I'd like to do it someday. Molds exist for more than half of the parts already, all that's needed is the roof mold, a mold for the rear panel and hatch. And it would be really cool to build a TJ Hurst/Commando using the Commando Kit I made for the TJ a couple of years ago.

CommandoKitH6_zpsdf245e37.jpg

LPCommando1.jpg

But all 3 of my Jeeps already have custom hardtops that I like, so I don't have a Jeep to turn into a Commando, and I don't think the company that's licensed the Safari Cab is interested in doing the Commando version, so for now anyway, I don't have plans to build it. Maybe someday though.

Okay your rendering uses an orange LJ/TJ. I feel it would be best suiting to use an orange donor TJ;)...

Just make it somehow work with my Gobi:D

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Okay your rendering uses an orange LJ/TJ. I feel it would be best suiting to use an orange donor TJ;)...

Just make it somehow work with my Gobi:D

The low profile roof design will work find with the Gobi or any other "over the roof" rack design that doesn't touch the hardtop.

It's orange because I was looking at this photo while I was doing the design :).

b206b0.jpg

LPCommando1.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The low profile roof design will work find with the Gobi or any other "over the roof" rack design that doesn't touch the hardtop.

It's orange because I was looking at this photo while I was doing the design :).

b206b0.jpg

LPCommando1.jpg

Regardless I really like this idea. I think it would be interesting to kind of do a rendering of top color being similar to the Safari Tops you designed. Something like the white roof with the rest of it say color matched to the body. I would definitely be willing to invest my money in this

In case thought you would like to use an orange donor TJ...you know...mine is kind of just sitting here...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Regardless I really like this idea. I think it would be interesting to kind of do a rendering of top color being similar to the Safari Tops you designed. Something like the white roof with the rest of it say color matched to the body. I would definitely be willing to invest my money in this

In case thought you would like to use an orange donor TJ...you know...mine is kind of just sitting here...

OK, here you go. This concept shows a TJ version of the Commando hardtop, done with a white roof and color-matched sides. It's got the Commando Kit front clip as well.

TJCommando_zps4pyelycs.jpg

Last edited:

hamr26

Observer
LJ Commando

If you are ever needing an orange LJ for the Commando fit-up let me know. I was just thinking of a modern 17" equivalent of the old Jackman wheels...maybe a powdercoated set of Methods. Jeep daydreams are the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 14

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you are ever needing an orange LJ for the Commando fit-up let me know. I was just thinking of a modern 17" equivalent of the old Jackman wheels...maybe a powdercoated set of Methods. Jeep daydreams are the best.

;)

hamr26LJCommando_zpsruspybbd.jpg

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Oh wait, didn't you say you wanted a Gobi rack on it?

TJCommandoGobi_zps7uf6i025.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's beautiful! I would happily rock that hardtop, not mention actually make going topless possible for me on a consistent basis. How would you plan to design the rear cargo access? Like similar to the barn door design with your Safari Cab or keep similar to stock?

I said color matched simply since it's popular amongst most, I would personally color match the top with my grey fenders and current grey top

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's beautiful! I would happily rock that hardtop, not mention actually make going topless possible for me on a consistent basis. How would you plan to design the rear cargo access? Like similar to the barn door design with your Safari Cab or keep similar to stock?

I said color matched simply since it's popular amongst most, I would personally color match the top with my grey fenders and current grey top

Because of the slope of the back of the hardtop, a barn door is impractical, so the design calls for a liftgate.

CommandoHatch-1.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
You're killin me smalls......

Man I need one so bad. It's beautiful. Plus it would give me an excuse to swap in some low back matching color bucket seats in.....love it with the Commando front clip too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste