HRO in Phoenix?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I am almost ready to take my Ham radio licensing test.
So...my reward is to be a nifty new 2m/70cm dual band mobile radio.
Is it worth a trip to Phoenix to get it at the HRO store there? Are they knowledgeable? Helpful? Well stocked? I have a number of questions related to proper antennas and such, so I want good info, not some personal opinions not based on good knowledge...

What do you think?

:sombrero:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
They are pretty well stocked, but the PHX store is smaller than you might guess. I've found one guy in there extremely helpful, and the other not so much. In all honestly, I think it's worth a stop if you're in town, but probably not worth the trip. If you call HRO's 800#, you get xferred to the local Phoenix store and they're pretty darn helpful over the phone too. Save some good fuel $.

Mounting this on your 40? Whereabouts are you thinking due to it's fiberglass roof?

DaktariEd

pskhaat said:
They are pretty well stocked, but the PHX store is smaller than you might guess. I've found one guy in there extremely helpful, and the other not so much. In all honestly, I think it's worth a stop if you're in town, but probably not worth the trip. If you call HRO's 800#, you get xferred to the local Phoenix store and they're pretty darn helpful over the phone too. Save some good fuel $.

Mounting this on your 40? Whereabouts are you thinking due to it's fiberglass roof?

Good feedback, thanks.

I had Jake weld a rounded bracket on the right rear bumper for a potential long whip.

I am considering a mount on the front brush guard (Aussie style)...

Any thoughts on those two sites?

:sombrero:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
DaktariEd said:
I had Jake weld a rounded bracket on the right rear bumper for a potential long whip.

If you're going for a dual-band radio, I'm guessing you'll be 2m/70cm. The longest (and most expensive) dual-band colinear 2m antenna I can see on a quick look is ~58". Nominally, a 2m antenna measures ~19", 70cm is ~7". Mounting this antenna down that low on the rear 40 series bumper will have the 40's body tub and hardtop cause non-trivial interference. A 9' CB whip would be okay there, but I'd suggest the Ham antenna elsewhere.

Where? Eek :( I wish I could say best. I'm trying to remember my 40's hood and I think you would be better off getting a `trunk-lip' mount and put it on the hood seam. Putting it on the front bumper will keep it again with not enough of good horizontal sheet metal for a counterpoise. The hood is undoubtedly the best place on a 40 for it, but let me look at mine tonight and get back with you. I might even say build a bracket off the top bolts to the 40's windshield frame, but again don't think that'd be enough of a counterpoise either.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
Putting it on the front bumper will keep it again with not enough of good horizontal sheet metal for a counterpoise. The hood is undoubtedly the best place on a 40 for it, but let me look at mine tonight and get back with you.
I was thinking on the cowl between the windshield and hood, but my FJ40 memory isn't based on immediate visual cues. Maybe on the fenders? Those scream for a purpose like this! In the middle of the roof would work if you put a sheet of thin metal under the fiberglass. This is pretty commonly done when people want to put antennas on fiberglass pickup campers.

DaktariEd

What about a roof rack on top with a wire mesh floor?
Or would it have to be a solid sheet?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have found them to be helpful to me as a new ham....
However the best reason to go there is to put your hands on the items like radios and mounts if you have never seem the item before.
Size and feel are concerns for me along with fit & finish so while I haven't bought everything from them I have spent money there to "pay" for the handling of the equip.
Also nice that the radios are powered up so you can use it once you have your lic.
They also seem to have a little shop and program some radios...however I could be wrong about that.
enjoy
1leglance
PS I am shopping for a Yaesu 8800 this week if anyone sees a good deal :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior