Human waste in the backcountry

Freebird

Adventurer
Here is an article that covers various options of properly treating/disposing of human waste in various primitive situations.
There is a LOT of good info here.
We all need to expend some time and effort to preserve a good "backcountry experience" for others who follow, just like we want those who are ahead of us to "do the right things"....

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-waste-disposal.html

It is very distasteful (plus VERY unsanitary) to go to a primitive site and have piles of feces/used TP laying around the area!!

Mods-feel free to move this to a better spot. The reason I am putting it here is we have had some discussion of this type of issues in other threads.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
Maybe not the right forum, but still a good reminder. A generation ago, water in Colorado streams was potable, now, it's gotta be treated, filtered or uv'ed, poor poop management has had a detrimental effect.

John E Davies

Adventurer
I have to add that dog waste is just as important - please try to not let your dog leave presents for future campers to tread on.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

just kev

Good write up but there is one problem - DO NOT bury your toilet paper - burn it or pack it out! The reason I say this is that in many areas squirrels and other critters are fond of digging up human waste and then there's tp everywhere :(

bob91yj

Resident **************
Use caution if you use the burn method of TP disposal, the Malibu fire in SoCal a few years back was started by a female hiker that decided to burn her TP.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:' That's not always a Buck snorting-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

craig333

Expedition Leader
Nothing like having your dog dig up someones excrement. To me its no different than leaving trash behind. If you can bring it you can take it with you.

jbob

Observer
My dog rolled in human poo two weeks ago at a dispersed campsite.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior