Hummingbird Speedo Calibrator HMSC8000C in FG84 (and presumably FG140) Canter

After a relatively unhelpful phone call to Hummingbird, I managed to get the Speedo Calibrator working properly in my FG84 Canter and I can confirm that it plays nicely with the Autostrada MI03S Cruise Control that I've also installed. My problem arose simply because I was putting them both in at the same time - I wrongfully assumed that the Calibrator would want the same speed signal wire as the Cruise Control; it does not. This is clear with only a quick consult to the workshop manual. Once you unscrew the instrument cluster, this is the bottom plug on the left -

20200127_1027572.jpg

You cut the white wire, and as per the Hummingbird instructions, the yellow wire on the unit goes to the wire toward the speed sensor, and the green wire on the unit goes to the speedo. As a side note, the cruise control just has a single wire that picks up the signal from the Pink/Blue wire. The Calibrator also requires a power and earth feed, I took mine from the radio circuit. The signal does not get picked up by the ever permeable AM radio.

After you've got it all hooked up, for the FG84, you want to toggle switches 3 and 4 to ON, as the signal is Hall-Effect and the amplitude is 8V. I then toggled switches 6 and 7 to ON so the unit output a 500Hz test frequency. When you turn on the ignition, your speedo will spring to life despite the static truck. I had to turn the adjustment screw until the speedo read 125km/h for my speedo to match the 3 GPS devices I had in the cab with me on the subsequent test drives.

20200127_140543.jpg

Hopefully this can help someone else out, as I couldn't find much info about the install into this model. Overall I recommend the unit, its well built and easily tuneable. It also seems quite consistent across the speed range. I bought mine directly from Hummingbird - https://hmbe.com.au/speedometer-calibratior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior