I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

97heavyweight

velcro top and bottom, have not been in any strong wind, so far holding up well, you can get a look if you search "homebuilt wedge\toy hauler"
I've seen your build. It's a hell of an idea and execution. Looks great! Hopefully with it being a wedge you can always park into the wind. I was in CO with some 50mph gusts watching display unit of RTTs fly away at the Overland Expo West. I didn't sleep well that night because i kept worrying about my canvas ripping, but it held up nice.

cokeb

I've seen your build. It's a hell of an idea and execution. Looks great! Hopefully with it being a wedge you can always park into the wind. I was in CO with some 50mph gusts watching display unit of RTTs fly away at the Overland Expo West. I didn't sleep well that night because i kept worrying about my canvas ripping, but it held up nice.
I'm not sure mine would hold up in winds like that, always thought in that case I would drop the top and sleep in the truck bed

97heavyweight

I have fantastic news! My gorilla tape drip edge has pasted its initial testing. Up here in the PNW as everyone has heard it rains...a lot. So over the last week it has rained several times and my camper is as dry as it should be. I am also pleased to report that so far the drip edge has stayed at speeds up to 80mph. Now we will see how it does in the rain while its open. I'm sure I will find that my choice of canvas was incorrect.

97heavyweight

In other news. When I was cruising through Colorado I passed a semi at highway speeds that had a large portable construction office on it. The wind felt like it picked up my truck. I instantly pulled over and inspected the camper and luckily found no issues. I did come to the determination that I wanted some sort of fairing to allow the wind to go over the camper. I was also unable to use my sunroof at speeds over 30mph.

By happenstance I saw a Tacoma at the Mountain West Expo with an interesting short rack on it. I spoke with him and found out it was the prototype of Sherpa Equip Co. new Animas rack. They have several sizes to work with the varying cab-over lengths of different campers. It came early and was a super easy install and I am stoked about it. At 80mph I was able to keep my sunroof open and there was no new wind noises. I have three crossbars that I can attach things too and it looks pretty damn good. I have also seen an appreciable increase in my mpg. More to follow on that this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 180

genasea

I have also seen an appreciable increase in my mpg.

Great to hear you will be using this new rack. Out of curiosity, what mpg do you get with and without your camper?

I was thinking of using a rack like you have with a solar panel angled from the forward edge of the rack up to the top of the camper as a wind deflector to reduce the resistance presented by the camper. In this capacity it would generate power at camp and be used to increase mpg.

97heavyweight

Great to hear you will be using this new rack. Out of curiosity, what mpg do you get with and without your camper?

I was thinking of using a rack like you have with a solar panel angled from the forward edge of the rack up to the top of the camper as a wind deflector to reduce the resistance presented by the camper. In this capacity it would generate power at camp and be used to increase mpg.
I had a KD Max tune done when the camper was installed so my MPG increased. I can tell you without the rack I was getting about 18mpg. I will know more what it is now this weekend. I think prior to camper I was around the 20mpg mark.

OVRLND Campers

How do you all do your drip edges. I have unfortunately never seen one of your campers up close, but I would like to say thank you for the inspiration.

I wont disclose ;) Part of the fun is figuring out how someone did it! The first one I built didn't have the drip edge and that did not end well. Water loved it!

Stoked on how yours is shaping up. If youre ever in Flagstaff let us know.

97heavyweight

I wont disclose ;) Part of the fun is figuring out how someone did it! The first one I built didn't have the drip edge and that did not end well. Water loved it!

Stoked on how yours is shaping up. If youre ever in Flagstaff let us know.
Well that's alright. I'll have to spy on one when I see it.

Water is definitely loving mine. But i'm not loving the water.

I appreciate that. I was wondering have you all ever used a different style of door? Like what i've used?

97heavyweight

I am pleased to announce that the gorilla tape drip edge is still functioning great and can with stand a cruise down the highway.

I also camped for the first time in the rain and the canvas did not leak at all. I did help it out the week prior by spraying it down with some waterproofing.

This trip wasn't a lot of hwy driving and more just driving through the burbs so lots of stop and go and I still saw a 2mpg increase with the new roof rack. the first weekend of November I am heading to the Steens Mountains and the Alvord Desert so I should know how good my fuel economy is on that trip for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136

97heavyweight

When I got my new fridge I had to extend the back seat platform and subsequently lost the rear storage compartment that I kept all my recovery gear in. I started looking around and found Rago Fab's Molle panels for the rear window. I will say first that it seems to be a decent piece of gear, but the instructions were garbage. It is a 2 minute youtube video. With that out of the way I am glad I didn't see that video before hand because I once I saw it I wasn't sure it would work. I was able to make some tweaks so that I could retain my attic and so that it would mount to the wood panel. Over all after riding the struggle bus for a hot minute I am pretty pleased with it.

I plan on using straps to hold my recovery gear on and of course some molle bags. So if anyone has recommendations on their favorite bags let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

97heavyweight

Made a recent trip down to the Alvord Desert in Oregon and enjoyed some gorgeous scenery and some hot springs. I thought my water intrusion woes where over, but alas the dicor is cracking because the front mounts are not tight enough and they were allowing the seal to flex a little. I have 'fixed' that issue I hope, but I can't re-apply the dicor until it stops raining. I also lost power to the fridge on the trip and found that the power wire to the fuse panel in the camper for the fridge made contact with the exhaust and poof! I let all the smoke out of the electrical system. Whoops.

If anybody is familiar with the turquoise behemoth let me know. I never saw the owners for the rig. I also vaguely remember seeing this rig online at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 77

ITTOG

Depending what the hinge area is like you might try EternaBond instead. It is a tape and is more flexible. It is very sticky so it won't come off. In my experience it is a great product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles