I did a thing. Camplux 5L mods for ease of setup and use.

dbhost

So yeah, I did a thing. And I know I have documented it elsewhere, but wanted this in one place as my final work around to my camp shower setup hopefully saving the next person trying to do this some grief...

So as you may know, the Camplux 5L is along the same lines of myriad other 5L on demand propane camp showers, including the Joolca HOTTAP, they all come in at varying price points from around $70.00 with no hoses, fittings or anything, to around $460.00 for Joolcas full on system. And no matter the price point, they all suffer from insufficient hose length thus would need to be modded.

Now there ARE cheaper units out there that would need converter fittings as almost all of these things I have found have G thread, typically 1/2 G thread which is NOT the same as 1/2" NPT or US pipe thread, no this is British standard, and it is sort of like trying to use your great grandfathers Craftsman US Imperial size wrenches from the 50s on a similar vintage Jaguar. The two just don't play nice...

Camplux however was the lowest price point unit, with a good reputation, that I could find that included the adapters, AND a shower head with an on off button. It also had the added bonus of having 3 different spray patterns that I couldn't care less about unless I have park water or something like a creek to pull water from...

Now price tag wise, the Camplux has gone up recently, but I got it for $129.00 at Lowes. No cost shipping to my door.

I got a pull out 1.2GPM 12V pump from a wrecked class C, and apparently the pump was VERY recent, it's the Baylite brand that Amazon carries for about $30.00. The pump is wired up using a 15' lead to a 12V marine plug. Heat shrink crimps make the connection. The lead / plug was something like $9.00. There are 3/8 hose barb, to 3/4 garden hose male and female fittings, 3 of each. Shop locally for these as Amazon overcharges for them. I got my 4 sets for under $30.00. 50' of 3/8" ID 1/2" OD vinyl hose in transluscent red, with a max operating temp of 190 deg F, way higher than I will use this stuff, for $19.00 on Amazon, a 6 pack of quick connectors for $10.00, and I dragged out a garden hose Y fitting literally from the bottom of my gardening box in the garage, it came with my house.

I am pending an adapter to convert a pull out kitchen sink utility sprayer for sink usage.

Now this is going to be a rough guesstimate, but I believe without looking or even thinking about the numbers given above, I and adding the remaining adapter, I will have when I am 100% done about $220.00 into the system. The sink I am using is a Cabelas Deluxe Campers Kitchen sink. The Camplux came with a little holder that I believe the sprayer will fit in, and I can attach it to the Camp Kitchen no problem.

Should I want to use 1lb propane bottles instead of the bulk tank, I have and can use a "Steak Saver" bottle adapter to run the heater.

Now the way I have this rigged is this. 6' of inlet hose to pump, 6' of outlet. Outlet hose connects to barb x GHT adapter, and in turn to a quick disconnect fitting, this can go either to a Camco inline 40043 taste pure water filter, and hose, OR directly to the water inlet of the heater. Heater comes out with a 5' output hose, quick connected and adapter, back out to quick connect, quick connects and adapters to sprayer on one side, and " ensuite plumbing, at 12' on the other side. The 12' ensuite plumbing goes to a shower head I have epoxied a loop of paracord to in order to facilitate a up / down arrangement to allow for a handheld shower OR ceiling shower in the ensuite tent.

I have the options of sourcing water from 3 main types of sources. #1. 7 gallon Aqua Tainers as fresh water tanks. #2. Fresh water bodies such as lakes, streams, ponds, stock tanks etc... #3. Potable water plumbing spigot in campground / park.

So the main point of heated water / plumbing is the shower tent. I chose a Joolca Ensuite double that I got at the older price with a discount code, making it the same price as the Ozark Trail instant set 2 room shower tent. Very nice...

On the shower side of the ensuite, I hang a Coghlans camp mirror for shaving. I don't often, but if I am work camping, shaving is important...

On the dry side, I have a Jaxpety 5 gallon flushing portable toilet. Nothing too fancy, just basic, rugged, and reliable. It will hold a considerable amoung more than my excessive weight, and that is a good thing. Current prices on those are around $80.00...

Now my propane setup is funky. I have an old style Century Safety Tri Outlet propane distribution tree, and associated hoses. The steak saver allows me to connect to the tree and not the tank as well, especially since I have an 18' ACME to throwaway fitting hose that I run the buddy heater on in the winter that consumes one of the ports on my Y splitter should I need it.

So my winter propane configuration is from the tank outward. Y splitter, one side with the 18' hose to the Portable Buddy heater, the other side feeding the distrubiton post. Then will be steak saver conected to bottom port on tree, and hose to Camplux. Next port is for the Coleman stove, and the top gets my Quickpack propane lantern...

Well, not quite as fancy as Joolca, but I believe I have saved myself at least $230.00, and ended up with a more serviceable rig. Time will tell of course.

Photos and video will be coming. I think we are going to wait off until our overnight lows get at least into the 60s by 10:00 P.M. so we aren't sweating all night long... So October, ish? Or I need to drag Ac with me...

dbhost

Another update. I hate the idea of wrenching the gas line on and off every single time. I verified fitting sizes and ordered a Joolca Gasknect quick connect setup.

I believe I have gone as far as I want to / ought to with this rig other than modifying the water supply / filtration. The problem I have is questionable water supplies off grid. Creeks, rivers, lakes ponds, and stock tanks... My plan is in the morning dredging up as clean as possible 5 gallon buckets of water, treat with bleach drops, mix, allow to settle out during the day. transfer the clean water to a clean bucket once settled out, and run through the Camco inline filter to strip out the bleach taste / smell. Only use for washing. Bring potable water with me in Aquatainers, or a 5 gallon water bottlefrom those refill kosks...

Superduty

Adventurer
So yeah, I did a thing. And I know I have documented it elsewhere, but wanted this in one place as my final work around to my camp shower setup hopefully saving the next person trying to do this some grief...

So as you may know, the Camplux 5L is along the same lines of myriad other 5L on demand propane camp showers, including the Joolca HOTTAP, they all come in at varying price points from around $70.00 with no hoses, fittings or anything, to around $460.00 for Joolcas full on system. And no matter the price point, they all suffer from insufficient hose length thus would need to be modded.

Now there ARE cheaper units out there that would need converter fittings as almost all of these things I have found have G thread, typically 1/2 G thread which is NOT the same as 1/2" NPT or US pipe thread, no this is British standard, and it is sort of like trying to use your great grandfathers Craftsman US Imperial size wrenches from the 50s on a similar vintage Jaguar. The two just don't play nice...

Camplux however was the lowest price point unit, with a good reputation, that I could find that included the adapters, AND a shower head with an on off button. It also had the added bonus of having 3 different spray patterns that I couldn't care less about unless I have park water or something like a creek to pull water from...

Now price tag wise, the Camplux has gone up recently, but I got it for $129.00 at Lowes. No cost shipping to my door.

I got a pull out 1.2GPM 12V pump from a wrecked class C, and apparently the pump was VERY recent, it's the Baylite brand that Amazon carries for about $30.00. The pump is wired up using a 15' lead to a 12V marine plug. Heat shrink crimps make the connection. The lead / plug was something like $9.00. There are 3/8 hose barb, to 3/4 garden hose male and female fittings, 3 of each. Shop locally for these as Amazon overcharges for them. I got my 4 sets for under $30.00. 50' of 3/8" ID 1/2" OD vinyl hose in transluscent red, with a max operating temp of 190 deg F, way higher than I will use this stuff, for $19.00 on Amazon, a 6 pack of quick connectors for $10.00, and I dragged out a garden hose Y fitting literally from the bottom of my gardening box in the garage, it came with my house.

I am pending an adapter to convert a pull out kitchen sink utility sprayer for sink usage.

Now this is going to be a rough guesstimate, but I believe without looking or even thinking about the numbers given above, I and adding the remaining adapter, I will have when I am 100% done about $220.00 into the system. The sink I am using is a Cabelas Deluxe Campers Kitchen sink. The Camplux came with a little holder that I believe the sprayer will fit in, and I can attach it to the Camp Kitchen no problem.

Should I want to use 1lb propane bottles instead of the bulk tank, I have and can use a "Steak Saver" bottle adapter to run the heater.

Now the way I have this rigged is this. 6' of inlet hose to pump, 6' of outlet. Outlet hose connects to barb x GHT adapter, and in turn to a quick disconnect fitting, this can go either to a Camco inline 40043 taste pure water filter, and hose, OR directly to the water inlet of the heater. Heater comes out with a 5' output hose, quick connected and adapter, back out to quick connect, quick connects and adapters to sprayer on one side, and " ensuite plumbing, at 12' on the other side. The 12' ensuite plumbing goes to a shower head I have epoxied a loop of paracord to in order to facilitate a up / down arrangement to allow for a handheld shower OR ceiling shower in the ensuite tent.

I have the options of sourcing water from 3 main types of sources. #1. 7 gallon Aqua Tainers as fresh water tanks. #2. Fresh water bodies such as lakes, streams, ponds, stock tanks etc... #3. Potable water plumbing spigot in campground / park.

So the main point of heated water / plumbing is the shower tent. I chose a Joolca Ensuite double that I got at the older price with a discount code, making it the same price as the Ozark Trail instant set 2 room shower tent. Very nice...

On the shower side of the ensuite, I hang a Coghlans camp mirror for shaving. I don't often, but if I am work camping, shaving is important...

On the dry side, I have a Jaxpety 5 gallon flushing portable toilet. Nothing too fancy, just basic, rugged, and reliable. It will hold a considerable amoung more than my excessive weight, and that is a good thing. Current prices on those are around $80.00...

Now my propane setup is funky. I have an old style Century Safety Tri Outlet propane distribution tree, and associated hoses. The steak saver allows me to connect to the tree and not the tank as well, especially since I have an 18' ACME to throwaway fitting hose that I run the buddy heater on in the winter that consumes one of the ports on my Y splitter should I need it.

So my winter propane configuration is from the tank outward. Y splitter, one side with the 18' hose to the Portable Buddy heater, the other side feeding the distrubiton post. Then will be steak saver conected to bottom port on tree, and hose to Camplux. Next port is for the Coleman stove, and the top gets my Quickpack propane lantern...

Well, not quite as fancy as Joolca, but I believe I have saved myself at least $230.00, and ended up with a more serviceable rig. Time will tell of course.

Photos and video will be coming. I think we are going to wait off until our overnight lows get at least into the 60s by 10:00 P.M. so we aren't sweating all night long... So October, ish? Or I need to drag Ac with me...

We are still waiting on the photos and video . . . .

Mark2457

Just wanted to check a few things:

1. the joocla QD works on the Camplux? Did you get it installed?
  2. How did you get from the water outlet (1/2 I believe) to a shower hose with QD's?
Thanks

Mark

Xavior718

Just wanted to check a few things:

1. the joocla QD works on the Camplux? Did you get it installed?
  2. How did you get from the water outlet (1/2 I believe) to a shower hose with QD's?
Thanks

Mark
I’m anxious to know if the Joolca QD works also. I can’t find any with the correct sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94