I got here as fast as I could - '04 Suburban Z71

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I hear you on the gas tank size! Love my 31 gallons of fuel.
Recently I've been contemplating what my next vehicle will be after the 'Burb and while a full size crew cab pickup checks all the boxes for me, I am sorely disappointed to find that the short bed models only come with 26 gallon tanks. What the hell? :mad: Does nobody care about the concept of "range" anymore? 26 gallons in a vehicle that fully loaded and hauling a trailer potentially might be getting ~ 10 - 14 MPG? That's barely 300 miles of range, at best.
I get that fuel adds weight and weight kills MPG, and I know the US manufacturers are striving to meet those CAFE numbers but if they won't put a decent sized tank on the truck you would hope they would at least offer enough space under the frame for the aftermarket to make one (EDITED TO ADD: Of course, between product liability and emissions control laws, making an aftermarket fuel tank is much more complicated and expensive than it used to be "back in the day" when you could just order a bigger fuel tank from JC Whitney and bolt it on.)
Anyway, still love my 'Burb. I really think the GMT-800 Suburban is destined to be one of those "classic" vehicles that people remember for a long time - much like the 40 and 60 series LC's, 3rd gen 4runners, and Full Size Broncos.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Was thinking a bit on the same issue. Not a fan of the newer Subs, they seem to be catering to VIP / Limo / Rapper needs and the whole 'truck' thing is pretty much gone. Thinking the next 'outdoors' vehicle is going to be a quad-cab K2500 pickup with a short bed and shell.

/do really like the lines of the current gen Subs though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Was thinking a bit on the same issue. Not a fan of the newer Subs, they seem to be catering to VIP / Limo / Rapper needs and the whole 'truck' thing is pretty much gone. Thinking the next 'outdoors' vehicle is going to be a quad-cab K2500 pickup with a short bed and shell.

/do really like the lines of the current gen Subs though.
As do I, but my understanding is that there is no longer a flat load deck when the seats are folded down, which to me pretty much kills the "utility" part of "Sport Utility Vehicle." The fact that low range is an option is also unfortunate to me.
I wish Chevy would bring back the Avalanche, to me that would be the perfect all around utility/tow vehicle, but I guess as long as they're selling all the pickups they make, there's no reason for them to resurrect the Avalanche. My understanding was that the Avalance was not dropped because it was a poor seller, but rather it was dropped because it was more expensive to make than the standard 4 door pickup and the pickup generated more profit.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Lastly, I toss the trasharoo on the back. I obviously don't have a spare tire outback so I loop it through hatch.

e2a4c43b847f38c9649603b3c40b7b97.jpg

I've seen this done before. My question for you is:
Do you still use the hatch? Do the lift struts hold it up after a couple days worth of trash in it?

I have a Trasharoo but so far I've only used it on my Explorer (with an expensive custom rear bumper with a swingout tire carrier). I'd like to use it with my a Expedition but it doesn't have an expensive custom rear bumper.

rayra

Expedition Leader
new liftgate struts are fairly inexpensive at rockauto.com. First clue I had any trouble with mine was overnighting somewhere very cold and when I hoisted / flung my hatch up and stepped inward under it, I got solidly hit on the head as it collapsed. New struts won't have any trouble with a trashbag added. As long as you aren't putting firewood in it.

eta
$20-50 for the pair, depending on your brand / perceived quality preferences
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2000,expedition,5.4l+v8,1362439,body,lift+support,1404

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles