I hate this process. Vehicle ideas/input?

wrekreate

So my worst nightmare happened and what I thought was going to be my vehicle for a long time got taken from me by an uninsured and unlicensed motorist driving erratically and dodging stopped traffic to blow a red light and use my 4runner to stop instead of his brakes.

The 4Runner is a total loss and now I am forced back into the vehicle market. I loved the 4Runner and had just installed a new Goose Gear sleeping platform that I never even got to use other than for one work trip. A new 4Runner is still on the table but since I can start from scratch I’m researching other options and exploring possibilities.

So far my top 3 list looks like this: 4Runner (another 5th gen), Ram 2500 Tradesman with the Power Wagon package, 4x4 Sprinter van.

My needs are 4x4 ability and utility. This is my main vehicle and I use it for work as a traveling rep in the outdoor industry so the ability to sleep in the rig and get remote places while still carrying 5-10 large duffle bags, an EZ up or two, a few 6 foot tables, misc. boxes of giveaway goods, my own personal luggage, and whatever else I can find or think of to throw in which may sometimes include another person or a dog.

I have a f150 rental currently for the trip I had to leave on hours after my 4Runner was lost has been working well size wise for utility - it just needs a topper or some way to secure anything I have in the bed. The 4Runner worked great but could become a bit cramped on space and sleeping in it was not always ideal when loaded. Not to mention I had to take out all but the front two seats to get the maximum usage out of it. But damn did I still love getting into a vehicle I knew I could (and did) take just about anywhere.

I’m a little rushed on time and am looking for any other input or vehicle ideas I may be missing or overlooking?

Cheers!

rickc

Adventurer
I also loved my old 4Runner. Take a peek at the new Colorados/Canyons. I bought a 2016 model in the same year, my first pickup. It's got a crew cab and a 6'2" box. I put a canopy on it and use an RTT. I have loads of room for stuff, much more than with the 4Runner. The Ram and the van are quite a bit bigger. I guess it depends on what sort of 4x4 ability you are looking for. Will you be at the NW or BC Overland Rallies?

rnArmy

Adventurer
Of the three options you listed, I'd definitely go for the Ram 2500 with the Power Wagon package. Four door - huge inside. Put a topper on it and you're pretty much done.

wrekreate

All great replies so far. Thanks! I’m not that interested in a new Jeep as I already have a YJ on full width one tons that I’m going to be selling as I used the 4Runner much more and honestly the 4Runner took me more places more enjoyably. The Jeep became a snowball type project after I inverted a shackle... The Ursa Minor is awesome but with tables, duffles, tents, and personal luggage I can’t see it being any better than the 4Runner.

The Sprinter makes the most sense most of the time. But it’s just so much vehicle for any forest service road. I love the idea of all the space and literally having a house on wheels for work but tend to lean more towards the full size truck option or 4Runner again.

I also had a 1989 Suburban lifted on 35’s and locked. That rig was **************. My only issue with a suburban again is that I would want to get an older body style and for work I need to have a vehicle that I can be confident driving 5000 miles a month.

Please keep the ideas/input/experience coming! With my work/lifestyle I am almost constantly on an overland trip in the Western United States.

Smileyshaun

Observer
food for thought , the forest service that maintains most the roads we all drive use suburbans to maintain those roads , I know Toyota's are the only vehicles that are allowed to overland as long as they have a rtt and a slide out kitchen but if you look at those who actually maintain and fight fires of the roads most of you travel you will find more gm and dodge vans than you want to admit

tacollie

Glamper
I really like 4runners but it sounds like the wrong vehicle for you. If you actually do low range stuff I say Ram 2500. If you just want 4wd for snow and wet dirt roads I say sprinter. I would also look at a diesel Colorado.

rruff

Explorer
The Sprinter makes the most sense most of the time. But it’s just so much vehicle for any forest service road. I love the idea of all the space and literally having a house on wheels for work but tend to lean more towards the full size truck option or 4Runner again.

I wanted to get a Sprinter but saw way too many reports of unsolvable emissions issues. They usually didn't show up til ~100k miles, but guys would spend many thousands of $$$ only to have the codes return 6 months later.

If you want a fullsize truck, look at Tundras.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I wanted to get a Sprinter but saw way too many reports of unsolvable emissions issues. They usually didn't show up til ~100k miles, but guys would spend many thousands of $$$ only to have the codes return 6 months later.

Could you please be a little more specific as to what year models of Sprinters you are referencing as having all these emissions problems?

rruff

Explorer
All with the fancy and strict emissions. 2007+? Just a quick google will get you plenty to read: https://www.google.com/search?q=sprinter+van+emissions+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

This guy owned a large fleet of them: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson

"Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000! That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs. Can your business afford such an expense? I can assure you that mine cannot. With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered. "

If there was a delete kit available I might have taken a chance, but I couldn't find one that worked well.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Does your work include packing 6 lbs of ******** into a 5 lb bag? 'Cuz that's what it sounds like you do with your old 4Runner.

Get a full size. Whatever it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior