I hate this process. Vehicle ideas/input?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Consider a first gen Sequoia? Smaller than a full size rig, actually about the same width as an FJ Cruiser, but a lot longer so better for sleeping inside than a 4Runner.

Are you considering used vehicles? or new only? If used, you can get some low mileage LX570's for a good deal. And most Lexus's are serviced at the dealers by their upper middle class grocery getter owners.

Smileyshaun

Observer
If you feel like a fan is too big then yeah definitely go for the truck if you're going to be constantly loading it down with stuff you should probably get a vehicle that can handle loads better. get a contractor style canopy with the full rear doors , be way easier to load and unload .

Smileyshaun

Observer
Consider a first gen Sequoia? Smaller than a full size rig, actually about the same width as an FJ Cruiser, but a lot longer so better for sleeping inside than a 4Runner.

surprisingly the first gen sequoia is not much smaller then a old square body suburban maybe 6" less in length and a 5th gen 4runner is almost as big as the first gen sequoia. Vehicles have gotten very very large the 4Runner is not the small Nimble vehicle it used to be.

neil d

I'm sorry about your rig. That does indeed suck. I honestly cannot believe you packed all of that gear into a 4runner, even with seats removed. It sounds like a full-size truck with a cap will check all of your boxes nicely, and you would be hard-pressed to beat the value of the Ram. Sounds like you care more about driving it into the ground than resale, so why pay the premium for a Tundra.

shmabs

Explorer
food for thought , the forest service that maintains most the roads we all drive use suburbans to maintain those roads , I know Toyota's are the only vehicles that are allowed to overland as long as they have a rtt and a slide out kitchen but if you look at those who actually maintain and fight fires of the roads most of you travel you will find more gm and dodge vans than you want to admit

Hello there, forest service fleet maintenance guy here. The only reason we have vehicles from the big three is because we have to, if I could get rid of all my 1/2 ton GMs/Fords/Dodges and replace them with tacomas/tundras/4runners I would do just that.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
surprisingly the first gen sequoia is not much smaller then a old square body suburban
A 2002 Sequoia is 15" shorter than a 2002 Suburban, and a couple of inches narrower. It was based on the T-100 pickup, which was not quite full size.

Point being, it is bigger than the OPs old 4Runner, so sleeping inside would be more feasible, without going all the way full size.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
All with the fancy and strict emissions. 2007+? Just a quick google will get you plenty to read: https://www.google.com/search?q=sprinter+van+emissions+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

This guy owned a large fleet of them: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson

"Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000! That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs. Can your business afford such an expense? I can assure you that mine cannot. With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered. "

If there was a delete kit available I might have taken a chance, but I couldn't find one that worked well.
UPS discontinued all purchases of the newer Sprinters with the EPA mandated,choking emission equipment.
Our driver told me they had waay too many issues. UPS is chucking all the diesels for neighborhood deliveries. As the older ones die they're auctioned off.

Theshwed

If your budget allows it, have you considered a Ford transit with a factory authorized 4x4 conversion? I am leaning that way with consolidating my vehicles. I intend to get it in the regular wheelbase and have the SMB pop top installed. That way the size is a bit more manageable for daily driving and light trail use. I am lucky enough to have a full size (e350 4x4 Quigley) and trail size (2016 4runner) to help steer me. For how we travel, both far exceed our needs off road. We need the gear and people hauling capabilities of the van. Our typical trips are Utah BLM land, the Maze, White Rim, etc. Then cruising around the mountains chasing snow in winter. With the ecoboost, I expect the fuel mileage of the van to be equal or better than the 4runner, with better power (the ass-o-meter shows the van hauls compared to the 4runner).

I didn't look to see where you're from, but there is a long wheelbase Transit 4X4 (Quigley) at the Ford dealer in Park City Utah just begging for a home and available for test drives.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
If form follows function, look for a pre-2007 RAM 2500 4WD long bed Cummins (no soot bag or D.E.F. canister) and slide a new Lance 815 on the back. Why the Lance 815? It's the narrowest (86 inches without jacks), least tall (6 feet 4 inches inside), lightest (1842 pounds, wet) which will offer you the best chance when on a lonely desert track.

Your life will thank you for a good night's sleep, deleting all that crawling around at night and doing without, but include all the amenities to be self supporting no matter the weather, season or location. Depending on how young or tough you are, you will enjoy the fridge, furnace, good queen bed, fully stocked kitchen, table and seating for doing business, privacy, quietude, pumped water supply, grey tank, black tank or cassette toilet, wet bath with shower, toilet, mirror, and sink. We have immensely enjoyed having 200 watts of solar to power our stuff. After sleeping in our even smaller Lance 165-s for 235 nights over 18 years, my wife and I both agree that the camper offers the best sleep we ever get. I know several folks and couples who have made this a lifestyle living in one of these full time. For hauling space, a small enclosed utility trailer will offer all the space you need for your sales needs. Slap the company logo on there and it could be a tax write off. If you are only on the road some of the time, a truck camper offers a good platform for Layovering between clients, many times in their parking lot (with their permission, of course). The good news with a hard side is your ability to layover anywhere it's legal and not be too conspicuous as it doesn't change shape into what I call the 'camping mode'. Nothing hanging outside; nothing set up outside; looks like no one is home.

It's a function of age that we've graduated from six Jeeps, Toyota FJ-40 and FJ-55 with trailer, 1980 Scout Traveler (118" w.b.) with factory Nissan 3.3L turbo diesel, to a 2001.5 Dodge RAM to tow our jeeps to the trailhead. Now we're down to one 1999 XJ, one 2011 Jeep Grand Chero, one short bed Dodge pickup with the legendary Cummins engine and Lance 165-s Camper, and one 2007 Kioti 4WD, 3 cyl. 35 HP diesel tractor.
At least this is something to think about in your quest for a replacement, only if you are up for a paradigm shift.
jefe

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Gotta agree with Jefe. We have well over 90k miles in a truck camper and have traveled from the tip of Baja to Prudoe Bay, AK and almost every state west of the Mississippi in three different cabovers. Started in a '02 F350, Lance 1010 (too big and heavy for any serious offroad). Then to a '07 2500HD with a Hawk FWC and SunLite hardwall, both have been sold and a Bundutec BunduVry Pop-up is on order.
DV%20May%202011%20023-XL.jpg

Thanksgiving%20trip%202012%20041-XL.jpg

IMG_1474-XL.jpg

Jack

wrekreate

Hi all. Thank you for the replies and suggestions! I took possession of a 2018 Power Wagon last night. After shopping around and comparing I kept coming back to this truck and in the end I think it was always the truck that I have wanted. I look forward to sharing the build process as it progresses (slowly) and to the continuing gleaning of knowledge from all of you who have come before me. Now to figure out which camper shell to throw over the bed... Cheers!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier