I have a confession

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I bought my 2000 Lexus LX470 in Feb of 2018 to replace an old Forest Service Suburban that ultimately wasn't up to the task of hauling a family of 5 around comfortably. I bought the LX given the number of positive reviews about owner happiness and legendary LC reliability. This one unfortunately has some rust issues, thankfully not too bad on the frame, but stuff I can gradually take care of and had 151k miles all for $6300 out the door. I have now owned the vehicle for 30,000 trouble free miles, including a trip to Collingwood, a more than 3000 mile journey with 7 people and all their luggage. This did result in my AHC defaulting to the low setting for about 50% of the trip, but otherwise no issues. The vehicle is tight, AC cold, heat is hot and no squeaks or rattles after 20 years on the road - all the things I heard were true! However, I just have no personal attachment to the vehicle..and I hate that. I really want to be head over heels about this vehicle and I'm just not, the 4.7 and 4 sped auto are slower than my old TBI Suburban, and I feel like it's always just too small. I constantly find myself searching for diesel Excursions, or Suburbans, but just want to get the LX to a point where I don't have the wandering eye!

I know I can swap the suspension to OME, I know a supercharger kit was made, but my ultimate question is if anyone else finds themselves in the same predicament as I am, where they feel that their LC is just a good vehicle rather than a "friend"?

Attachments

• LX470 and Burb.JPG
    LX470 and Burb.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
The five speed makes a big difference in the sluggishness from what i understand, but even so, my 2004 is not what i would call "sprightly". I find myself looking for more space at times too, especially with two kids and a large dog. However, I really don't want to go much bigger and couldn't fit much bigger into my garage in any case.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I bought my 2000 Lexus LX470 in Feb of 2018 to replace an old Forest Service Suburban... However, I just have no personal attachment to the vehicle..and I hate that. I really want to be head over heels about this vehicle and I'm just not....I constantly find myself searching for diesel Excursions, or Suburbans, but just want to get the LX to a point where I don't have the wandering eye!

That’s a nice, honest expression of the very real emotions that, I suspect, are often more commonly felt by many other folks too after they have picked up their new rig and had it a while.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Here’s an interesting read on the general subject:

“The Paradox of Choice – Why More Is Less”
by Barry Schwartz

“Freedom of choice [is] critical to our well being, and choice is critical to freedom and autonomy. Nonetheless, though modern Americans have more choice than any group of people ever has before, and thus, presumably, more freedom and autonomy, we don't seem to be benefiting from it psychologically.”

http://wp.vcu.edu/univ200choice/wp-...5/01/The-Paradox-of-Choice-Barry-Schwartz.pdf

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Oddly enough, this week marks the 1 year anniversary of our trek to Canada in the LX and we ironically all piled in yesterday to head to the corn maze considerably closer than Canada. The better half got a bit sentimental and mentioned that she won’t let me part ways with the Lexus as she’s fond of the “family bonding” that occurs when 7 of us are all together. I see it as an exercise in patience with the children, but what do I know! That said, I’ll be looking at several updates to personalize the LX and of course taking more trips for the nostalgia!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lol easy get a 2009 or newer Sequoia more power, more space same durability better mileage “slightly”

Thats what I did except I went from a 93 LC to a 06 Sequoia. That was 7 yrs ago. I just sold the Sequoia to my dad and got a 2019 Expedition. Almost the same space, better turning radius, better power, better mileage again yay and nicer ride. I won’t lie I like the new technology.

nickw

Adventurer
Lol easy get a 2009 or newer Sequoia more power, more space same durability better mileage “slightly”

Thats what I did except I went from a 93 LC to a 06 Sequoia. That was 7 yrs ago. I just sold the Sequoia to my dad and got a 2019 Expedition. Almost the same space, better turning radius, better power, better mileage again yay and nicer ride. I won’t lie I like the new technology.
Those new expeditions are cool rigs.....they are built pretty good also, relatively oversized diffs and look awesome lifted:

1571353030836.png

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I can’t lift mine. Parking garage accessible is important. But wheels and tires might be on the list in 2-3yrs.

Ford is going bonkers at SEMA this next yr. Very curious what ideas get shown.

Today mine hauled my rolling tool box to work on grandpas house. Now it’s hauling 4 kids to gymnastics in 20 minutes

Upland80

Adventurer

But you miss the Land Cruiser...that is why you are here, no?

billiebob

I bought my 2000 Lexus LX470 in Feb of 2018 to replace an old Forest Service Suburban that ultimately wasn't up to the task of hauling a family of 5 around comfortably. I bought the LX given the number of positive reviews about owner happiness and legendary LC reliability. This one unfortunately has some rust issues, thankfully not too bad on the frame, but stuff I can gradually take care of and had 151k miles all for $6300 out the door. I have now owned the vehicle for 30,000 trouble free miles, including a trip to Collingwood, a more than 3000 mile journey with 7 people and all their luggage. This did result in my AHC defaulting to the low setting for about 50% of the trip, but otherwise no issues. The vehicle is tight, AC cold, heat is hot and no squeaks or rattles after 20 years on the road - all the things I heard were true! However, I just have no personal attachment to the vehicle..and I hate that. I really want to be head over heels about this vehicle and I'm just not, the 4.7 and 4 sped auto are slower than my old TBI Suburban, and I feel like it's always just too small. I constantly find myself searching for diesel Excursions, or Suburbans, but just want to get the LX to a point where I don't have the wandering eye!

I know I can swap the suspension to OME, I know a supercharger kit was made, but my ultimate question is if anyone else finds themselves in the same predicament as I am, where they feel that their LC is just a good vehicle rather than a "friend"?
Of all your complaints, the too small one only has one solution, trade it for something bigger... and more powerful

blowery

I don't necessarily like driving something I don't enjoy or feel bonded too, I get it...that said.

I wanted to love our 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L, in the end I hated it.

You WILL have to redo the suspension, it sucks from the factory so you are fixing it with either OEM F250 stuff or lift kits. It's a must do for me. That said, it still drives and wanders like a covered wagon. I have F250 springs, bilsteins, added rear sway bar, new tires, fixed up the front end, still MEH....

Brakes sucked.

The GODLIKE love of the 7.3 is overrated IMO. I rarely got above 14 on the highway and that was driving 65ish and babying it. One trip was 18mpg, but mostly downhill in the mountains. Wiring harness through the valve covers left us stranded on new years, below zero on the highway.
The 4r100 auto sucks and will crap out. Mine lasted to 102k. The 2001 4r100 is to be avoided and has a terrible failure rate. You can upgrade those, but be prepared to spend money.

Have you worked on the 7.3 in the excursion? What a paint to work on. I had glow plug issues, injector issues, valve cover wiring issues, crank position sensor errors. I would rather deal with a v10 spitting plugs occasionally and bad MPG rather than pay the upcharge for the 7.3L and maintenance (not even going into that 6.0L)

4WD is old school, good or bad, but the LX's 4WD system is WAY ahead of it and safer all around for mixed weather driving. I hated the 3rd row in the excursion. There was almost no neck/head support for anyone over a small kids size.

I wanted to love that excursion and build it up, but it was no comparison to the Land Cruisers I had owned. The LX will definitely be smaller than a suburban or Excursion.

PROS: Lots of room, space in seats!, power for towing, much better with chip

Grass isn't always greener.

There is a lot of aftermarket for the LC/LX. I'm not a fan of the AHC, but it can be fixed/removed. The power of the 4.7's isn't awesome, however that engine is an awesome engine that should be very reliable for many many miles. You won't have to worry about the drivetrain either basically. Like someone said, if you don't like the room, thats the one thing you can't fix. A newer sequioa or 200 series would have more room, more power, more $$$.

People get attached to vehicles for all sorts of reasons I'll never understand (looking at you Land Rover guys :ROFLMAO:) you just have to find what works best for you.

RND1

Observer
You've already discovered why we own and love our Land Cruisers:

"I have now owned the vehicle for 30,000 trouble free miles. The vehicle is tight, AC cold, heat is hot and no squeaks or rattles after 20 years on the road - all the things I heard were true!"

If you want to make your LX less pink panties, put a small lift on it, add the black Tundra TRD Pro wheels in black with 33" KO2's, remove the running boards, and install a magnaflow exhaust. I did this to mine and it transformed the truck (sans the TRD Pros). I have the 5sp that came out in '03 and when I get on it the 4.7L has plenty of punch and the magnaflow sounds just right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz